Carrie Underwood | Michael Campayno | News

Was This Your Favorite Moment of 'The Sound of Music Live'? — VIDEO

Rolf

What did you think of last night's extravaganza, The Sound of Music Live?

Was your favorite moment watching Michael Campayno prance around the forest as Rolf in short shorts during "Sixteen Going on Seventeen"?

If so, you can rewatch that and all the other performances, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. While Underwood can handle the vocals, she absolutely cannot act in the slightest - cringeworthy

Posted by: dishy | Dec 6, 2013 8:51:20 AM

2. What a hot mess. Underwood's acting was on the level of a mediocre high school production. The captain was almost as bad. Thank god for Audra. I could go on but why. A major disappointment from an incredible team of talented people.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 6, 2013 8:54:00 AM

3. Audra McDonald forever.

Posted by: JonD | Dec 6, 2013 9:05:11 AM

4. My favorite part was watching the gay documentary "Bridegroom" on Netflix, so I wouldn't have to watch that saccharine, diabetic coma-inducing "The Sound of Music", starring a singer I cannot listen to and written by Richard Rodgers, homophobe supreme.

Posted by: dommyluc | Dec 6, 2013 9:05:55 AM

5. I watched the whole thing last night. I'm not much of a Carrie Underwood fan, but she's fine as an actress: understated and natural. She had me rooting for her. They surrounded her with a few Broadway pros. The kids in this are better than the children in the Julie Andrews movie. It was Broadway revival quality. Laura Benanti and Christian Borle and Audra McDonald rose to the occassion. I hope we have more live television like this. I'm tired of reality shows and heavy edited dramas. Stephen Moyer is dreamy. The play is too long. It's scmaltzy, but you can't take away the schmaltz without ruining the show. Refreshing to see good Broadway actors plying their trade in our living room. arrie & Lauri Benanti are both gay marriage supporters and Audra is a huge one (on Twitter, she even uses "equality" in her name).

Posted by: will | Dec 6, 2013 9:38:56 AM

6. Caught about 15 minutes of this. Sound production was abysmal. The mics on Underwood were far too low, you could not hear her above the instruments, especially in critical spots (low notes, back toward camera, etc.).

Posted by: johnny | Dec 6, 2013 9:48:04 AM

7. I've replayed scenes several times and still wonder: does Underwood have a speech impediment, was she wearing invisalign braces or uncomfortable veneers? Every time she uttered or sang an "S" it sounded like an "SH?" Maybe I need a new TV.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Dec 6, 2013 9:54:25 AM

8. I agree with Will. Stephen Moyer is dreamy. Christopher Plummer was yummy in the original, and Moyer is a worthy successor to the dreaminess.

Posted by: Larry | Dec 6, 2013 10:22:35 AM

9. omg, i couldn't do it. i tried. i didn't know much about Carrie Underwood before this but she should absolute NOT do any acting on stage or screen. Stick to american idol or country music or whatever she does. Her vocals were okay but the acting was awful. And i agree with the above posts, the sound was really bad. something was wrong with the mics and levels.

Posted by: tiger | Dec 6, 2013 10:27:16 AM

10. Was such a disappointment. What a waist of potential. No one will ever be able best Julie Andrews or the original production. Wish I could bleach last night's "extravaganza" from my memory.

Posted by: JKM | Dec 6, 2013 10:28:20 AM

11. I'm with Larry--Christopher Plummer was a handsome man, but Stephen Moyer? Swooooooooooon. (I'd like seeing him a pair of those tight pants, but then I remembered on "True Blood" I can see him completely naked!)

Posted by: Dback | Dec 6, 2013 10:30:20 AM

12. The entire show is old and tired. Julie Andrews wore it out. I tried to watch it, but finally changed channels after 20 minutes.

Posted by: Will | Dec 6, 2013 10:34:15 AM

13. Snark, snark, snark. Yes, most of the criticisms above, IMHO, are accurate, but NBC attempted something that I remember very fondly from my childhood - Live theater. That's a good thing, and I hope they do more of it.

Posted by: KJ | Dec 6, 2013 10:35:34 AM

14. Was Madonna Underwood's acting coach?

It was PAINFUL. I think Madonna in Shanghai Surprise gave a better acting performance.

Should have gone with Anne Hathaway.

Posted by: QJ201 | Dec 6, 2013 10:43:17 AM

15. Ditto what KJ wrote.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Dec 6, 2013 10:44:24 AM

16. While this certainly wasn't epic, I am glad NBC did it. I would love to see more live musicals on television. It is so retro it is new again.

Posted by: Bart | Dec 6, 2013 10:44:46 AM

17. I suppose that for the $9 million NBC spent, every detail should have been perfect. But as in live theater, that's a longshot on the night of a first preview (as this was equivalent to). Glad to see they returned to the original score rather than miss the songs cut for the film. Sound Of Music was the very first Broadway show I ever saw as a boy, with the great Mary Martin - so I always seem to watch it from a child's perspective.
    I do wish that American TV would take a cue from our more civilized European brethren and show more live theater, opera & classical concerts on a regular basis. It would perhaps better educate a new generation who venerate the Katy Perrys & Rhiannas of the world.

Posted by: DrMikey | Dec 6, 2013 10:52:15 AM

18. Agree with KJ. The entire production was a bit off but I applaud NBC for taking the risk.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 6, 2013 10:56:30 AM

19. Carrie isn't much of an actress, but I still loved it and bravo to NBC for doing it. A wonderful revival of the live TV events from my childhood. The kids were absolutely wonderful, and the rest of the cast terrific.

Posted by: Robert | Dec 6, 2013 10:56:44 AM

20. Watching maggots crawl into a dead pig"s anus was more entertaining...and less gross..

Posted by: Ankerich | Dec 6, 2013 10:57:06 AM

21. Pure, unadulterated drivel.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 6, 2013 11:00:25 AM

22. It was so cool to see a live production of a musical on TV, kudos to NBC!! Would love more live specials like this. I was surprised by Stephen Moyer's great performance and sex appeal as the Captain. And, as usual, Audra McDonald was incredible!

Posted by: Mick | Dec 6, 2013 11:04:32 AM

23. Well, considering Walmart underwrote the production and Carrie Underwood has been their corporate shill… you get what you pay for. I was also rather disgusted by the "family" commercials of the breeder hoard; by the last break I kept thinking, "Dude, you should have had a vasectomy a long time ago!"

She never made the role her own. I wish they would have cast Kristin Chenowith, but she has too much of a GLBT following.

Posted by: Rad | Dec 6, 2013 11:14:27 AM

24. Saw Moyers in Chicago, so I knew he had the chops for it.

Posted by: DrKRL | Dec 6, 2013 11:15:20 AM

25. Underwood is a tried and true Tea Party Republican. I had no desire to see or hear her.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 6, 2013 11:21:57 AM