Comments

1. Dback says

They say that Perfect is the enemy of the Good–this was definitely imperfect, but it’s still awfully good. (Love the photography, music, editing, and singer’s voice; lukewarm on the lyrics and lack of resolution.) But this still looks like a calling card for future greater things.

2. will says

There must be a better way to transmit a message about father-acceptance into a song than this. “Oh, father… I am not a disease.” You’d have to be clinically depressed to buy this and play it in your living room as you cook dinner or clean the house. Do people hum along?

3. Robert M. says

I think it’s actually quite powerful. As for being depressing, it’s a depressing subject. Annie Lennox has made a career out of dark music so lighten up a little.

4. Gordon says

This is actually quite poignant if brought up in northeast Scotland at the time HIV was seen as the ‘gay’ disease. Also, my father & I never saw eye to eye growing up, we argued, I saw him as weak. He came to my rescue when I reached an end at university, ostricized because of a kinda common std through rape (scabies) & said nothing but took me home without judgement. We grew older & knew each other more thankfully before he passed away not long after & there is not a day goes by that I don’t miss being able to ask him, about the letters to mum, motorbikes, why he didn’t cry when mum died, why he didn’t go to the hospital, but that’s all gone. Perhaps if I’d tried to understand him more when younger… am only 42 now

5. bandanajack says

i son’t even understand how anyone can blow this song off, it is that good. lovely voice, poignant lyrics, and a situation all too familiar to men of my generation.

6. echoes says

I don’t cry often over melodramatic songs but this hit home. I cried. Call it what you will, but those of us who have had to have those conversations with macho dads know exactly what this song means. And if its true that today’s young don’t understand the message, or find it trite and simplistic, then that means we’ve made amazing progress. And I’m glad for it.

7. Heads Up Their A.$.$.E.$. says

Surprising (but not surprising) that with as much trivia as gets reported on this site, not one of these “bloggers” has mentioned Edward Snowden’s nomination for a Nobel prize.

8. V-8 says

ROCCO, u read my mind, I was about to post that… for some reason Madonna’s “Oh Father” have been on my mind this entire week (I think it has to do with my dad getting old, possibly developing ALzheimer’s, etc)… rewatched the video a few days ago, and that was one powerful video (back when videos were like mini movie jewels)…

9. NOTICE says

this song perfectly illustrates why the popular gay themed songs at the Grammys this year (Same Love, Follow Your Arrow) were performed by straight people about gay people. It’s more bearable to hear someone advocating for others than for themselves.

broader reaching metaphors will probably work better than literal lyrics like “What will you think of me? I am more than a disease”

BTW it is not subversive anymore for a country singer to sing a pro gay song at the Grammys?
    how come no mention of Kacey Musgrave around here?

10. queenrosered says

In 1974, openly gay folk singer, Steven Grossman signed a record deal with a major label at the time, Mercury Records.His debut album was awesome but of course, because he was so open and his lyrics so poignant and honest about the subject, he never got any mainstream traction.He was a gentle and beautiful soul who tragically passed from AIDS in 1991.Listen to “OUT”…check out the lyrics (they are here if you click to see them under the video)Steven was a fearless pioneer. It’s a shame he never received more recognition. I hope a movie is made someday about his life and his music.