Dave Agema | Michigan | Republican Party

Anti-Gay Michigan RNC Committeeman Dave Agema Resists Calls to Resign, Makes New Statement

Amid calls from several Michigan Republican lawmakers and the Chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus for him to step down for his anti-gay and anti-Muslim remarks, RNC Committeeman Dave Agema remains defiant, releasing this press release today:

2_agemaAs an American proud of our Country, my faith and convictions, and the core values and principles that have contributed directly to our unrivaled international role as champions of freedom, prosperity and hope- I have made comments considered by some, to be insensitive, inflammatory, and inaccurate.

In retrospect, I acknowledge errors in judgment and how I addressed them, feel badly about the impact this has had on many here in the land I love, and have learned valuable lessons about the requirements and responsibilities that are to be expected and honored by all who are in leadership positions- including myself.

I have become increasingly frustrated and concerned by continuous attacks on religion in general, and Christians in particular, by the Democrat Party, the Obama Administration, and others. I openly posed a question aimed at shedding light on that subject. I readily acknowledge my mistake, appreciate the charitable efforts of Muslim Americans, and offer my sincerest apology for reposting an article that has been re-quoted as my words. I stand with peaceful Muslims who share my concern with radicalism and look forward to continuing to work with people of all faiths that uphold American values.

As an American who has spent his entire life remaining faithful to his religion, his family, and his country, I have been unwilling to compromise my principles, traditional values or support for the Word of God.

My personal beliefs and public statements expressing them as a public figure, has been attacked by a few strident advocates for homosexual marriage seeking to change Republican, Michigan and America’s mores and laws. Despite our American heritage of the right to speak freely- or perhaps because of it, my personal views on the sanctity of marriage have led to loud and heated statements among some, on all sides of this issue. I could have handles this better.

I want to affirm that my goal is for a better life for all residents of Michigan. I have learned much over the last several weeks and will use the lessons learned to improve on my abilities to further the best interests of all people of Michigan, through my role as a proud member of the Republican National Committee. I have received great response at packed audiences, drawing voters to the GOP. I fully intend to honor the trust and fulfill the responsibilities to those in the Michigan Republican Party that elected me.

Agema has said that gays falsely claim people with AIDS as their lovers in order to cheat the system and get free medical benefits, and last week said Russia's anti-gay law is "common sense".

Regarding the anti-Muslim remarks, "Earlier this month, Agema reposted another 'eye opening' Internet article asking readers whether they had 'ever seen a Muslim do anything that contributes positively to the American way of life,' prompting a new round of angry responses."

Comments

1. "sanctity of marriage"? Bigot, please!

Posted by: elwoodl | Jan 24, 2014 8:04:10 PM

2. I would like to know what these peoples' brains look like under an fMRI when they think about 'teh gays'. I'm really curious.

The Neurobiology of Anti-Gay...

Posted by: FMRI | Jan 24, 2014 8:10:49 PM

3. Mr. Argema is blaming his stupid ass comments on his religion being attacked.......not sure how/where/why he would say that.......the issue is he is a PUBLIC figure and what he says affects policy, etc.........

Posted by: Bernie | Jan 24, 2014 8:12:24 PM

4. I couldn't care less whether he stays on or resigns. The problems with the Republican party go far deeper than one guy. Honestly, if they got rid of all the haters in the party, there would be almost nobody left.

Posted by: Merv | Jan 24, 2014 8:16:30 PM

5. Do I hear a "tap - tap - tap" at the airport restroom?

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 24, 2014 8:17:38 PM

6. He really is too stupid to realize it is time for him to resign.

Posted by: bkmn | Jan 24, 2014 8:18:01 PM

7. That's one sorry statement.
    It's not worth the effort replying.

But one can see that the old "cut and past" tripe on American values and principles and sanctity of.....blah blah blah......

What a self serving ego centric old fart.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 24, 2014 8:44:25 PM

8. Still anti-American anti-freedom trash

Posted by: Sean | Jan 24, 2014 9:10:37 PM

9. You say you learned so much. What is it that you actually learned?

Posted by: Mitch | Jan 24, 2014 9:12:25 PM

10. He's a bigot and he uses his religious beliefs as an excuse to discriminate against people. He's totally unfit for office...

Posted by: Robert M. | Jan 24, 2014 9:22:03 PM

11. Hang in there, Davie, and please keep digging!

Posted by: JJ | Jan 24, 2014 11:45:34 PM

12. "[. . .] a better life for all residents of Michigan."

Except gays and non-christians. Everyone who would ever consider voting for a Republican knows they don't count and aren't included when a Republican Politician says things like "all residents" or "all people."

Posted by: FFS | Jan 24, 2014 11:58:06 PM

13. I'd like to see gay marriage come to Michigan partly just so this loser can whine and cry about it.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jan 25, 2014 12:27:08 AM

14. "I have become increasingly frustrated and concerned by continuous attacks on religion in general ... [by a bunch of people who DON'T actually attack religion at all]"

Get used to more, from people who actually do attack religion in government. After thousands of years of recorded history, we've seen the results of religion in government, and can compare with the results without religion in government.

We don't always do the right thing without religion, but the irreligious can change course to correct things. The world's influential religions don't do that. In Christianity's case, their primary document is a book of uncertain authorship that's over a thousand years old. It promotes slavery. It denounces gay people. It demeans women. It's an embarrassment.

If you think religion is right for you, you're wrong. And you're free to be wrong. But keep it out of government.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 25, 2014 1:31:19 AM

15. Dude's got a great head of hair, I'll give him that. Too bad there's nothing inside the head that hair sprouts out from.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 25, 2014 2:34:12 AM

16. Freedom of religion, proud American, faith, free speech are all words and phrases right-wing bigots have used to justify their ignorance and intolerance of people who are different and don't tow their ideology.

This guy staying in his current position may well be the best gift our community can ask for.

Posted by: ny2.0 | Jan 25, 2014 3:01:43 AM

17. "I have become increasingly frustrated and concerned by continuous attacks on religion in general, and Christians in particular, by the Democrat Party, the Obama Administration, and others."

Just continue doing what you're doing Dave, and more and more people will attack religion.

Posted by: TheSeer | Jan 25, 2014 4:07:50 AM

18. All he is saying is what ALL the other Republicans believe but are afraid to say due to political correctness. I think most are silently patting him on the back, but are afraid to support him openly because of possible political repercussions. They (Republicans) want to LOOK all inclusive.

Posted by: CB | Jan 25, 2014 4:53:02 AM

19. Freedom of speech just means you can't be arrested for it, it doesn't mean nobody will challenge you on what you have said. For instance if you are a bigot who tries to twist logic and somehow take the moral high ground - quite an acrobatic feat - people are going to disagree. Howl, even.

These moralizing windbags just feel like white churchgoers should run the country, especially if they look a certain way. They have a hard time justifying it, but mentioning God more than the other folks is usually a good start. Then when they hold the reins of power though, it turns into a total mess.

The country is moving on without you, dude. Wake up.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 25, 2014 7:36:30 AM

20. What a pathetic crybaby. If his religion is so super awesome, why isn't his make believe god doing something to stop people from hurting his fragile feelings?

Posted by: homer | Jan 25, 2014 8:20:33 AM

21. Got as far as his recognizing "errors in judgement." That's enough. I don't expect anything more form any Republican. The whole tree is rotten. Forget one bad apple. Till they change completely, and I am not advocating they accept any and everything, just accept differences, they are trash on the heap of history.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 25, 2014 9:56:19 AM

22. And yet he's too stupid to know it's the "Democratic" Party, not "Democrat." Savvy politician there...

Posted by: Pitt90 | Jan 25, 2014 10:35:37 AM

23. It's hilarious, reading the posts of everyone on here who are ALL in a tizzy! Lol.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 25, 2014 10:52:58 AM

24. "I would like to know what these peoples' brains look like under an fMRI when they think about 'teh gays'. I'm really curious."

I don't think there's any need for something so sophisticated. I simple webcam pointed at his groin when he talks about how awful gay sex is ought to reveal more than enough.

Posted by: BobN | Jan 25, 2014 11:19:07 AM

25. I think the church and its handling of child abuser priest have done more to attack itself...I have become increasingly frustrated and concerned by continuous attacks on religion in general,

Posted by: mark | Jan 25, 2014 1:08:08 PM