Bill Cunningham | Fashion Men | New York | News

NYT Fashion Icon Bill Cunningham Captures NYC Men Dressing for the Cold: VIDEO

Cunningham

NYT fashion legend Bill Cunningham will brave the snow and ice even when his fingertips are so cold he can't feel the shutter on the camera.

He's been out on the street in the recent 0 degree weather taking photos of the "mucho macho" men who are walking around with their coats open, and the skier wanna-bes with their fur trousers.

And yes, one man, who, despite the fact that he is so cold he has frozen into a statue, still keeps on sewing outdoors.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Bill Cunningham: New York was one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Glad to see he is still working.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jan 27, 2014 11:33:41 AM

2. here in phoenix it's going to hit 80 this week.

Posted by: ascanius1 | Jan 27, 2014 11:35:28 AM

3. Bill has always had a much better eye than the Sartorialist.

Posted by: oliver | Jan 27, 2014 11:50:51 AM

4. I'm a Phoenician as well ASCANIUS1! This morning I was trying to decide whether or not I needed a hoodie over my t-shirt, but decided against it. Supposed to be close to 80 today :)

Posted by: Luke | Jan 27, 2014 12:03:01 PM

5. Yeh, but it's Phoenix.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 27, 2014 12:14:00 PM

6. Geez. How many Phoenician's are reading this? LOL. All I can say is I'm enjoying out beautiful Phoenix weather too!

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 27, 2014 12:33:45 PM

7. I am so disappointment by how hot it's already getting in Phoenix! I was hoping to be able to wear cute winter outfits for another month!! : ) I've already packed away the jackets and heavy sweaters. Summers here effect me the way winters effect people on the East Coast. I get so depressed with the oppressive heat, I need a summer home away from this nonsense...

Posted by: cdubios | Jan 27, 2014 12:39:01 PM

8. I love Bill Cunningham. He sees magic in the ordinary.

Posted by: mike128 | Jan 27, 2014 1:00:17 PM

9. One man's fascination is a Real Man's tedium.

Posted by: Real Man | Jan 27, 2014 1:37:49 PM

10. @REAL MAN, so I see you're fascinated.

After all, if you found it tedious, you wouldn't have even bothered to read the article let alone watch the link and comment upon it.

Hint: Those who make a point of displaying their masculinity aren't.

Posted by: Rrhain | Jan 27, 2014 2:57:19 PM

11. Ugh. Just say no to those damned Canada Goose jackets. First, they're lined with real coyote fur and second they were bought by Bane Capital back in December '13. Two reasons why they ought to be left on the racks.

Posted by: MrConscience | Jan 27, 2014 3:30:22 PM

12. My favorite outfit was the rug.

Posted by: trees | Jan 27, 2014 4:06:29 PM

13. How to deal with the extreme cold we get off and on in the northeast and Midwest during winter:

Going outside for more than 15 minutes at a time? Layer....I wear a T-shirt, under a thermal underwear top, flannel shirt, regular underwear, under long underwear, pants/jeans/etc., And on really cold days, the heavy winter parka,neoprene face mask, hat/cap under hood, two pairs of gloves. Feet: two pairs of thick/thermal socks and a decent pair of insulated winter boots. No, it doesn't look like you're just off the Milan catwalk, but you're cozy. BTW: Many western Europeans and South Americans simply don't fully appreciate how brutally cold and get here during winter. They're usually the ones you see walking around in their club clothes when it's 5 degrees F, with a wind chill well below 0 F, very well below 0 C.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 27, 2014 4:21:29 PM

14. Call me from Phoenix in August....and it IS Phoenix afterall. I'll take Chicago even at a -7 degrees.

Posted by: Hdtex | Jan 27, 2014 7:14:41 PM