Facebook | News

Facebook Hate Group 'Heterosexual Awareness Month' Pushes 'Children's Book' About Killing Gays

Daddy

The "Heterosexual Awareness Month" group on Facebook (which has been around for more than a year) is pushing a post that jokes about killing gays.

Writes James Troia: "I reported this to Facebook several times, and Facebook has ZERO ISSUE with it. I think we need to do some mass reporting."

UPDATE: Looks as though the page has been taken down.

Comments

1. Facebook is very selective and arbitrary in which posts it allows, and which it removes.

Valid rights groups see their pages disappear, while hate groups like this persist for years.

I don't use Facebook when I have any choice.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 20, 2014 5:28:42 PM

2. If they would have put a pic of two guys kissing on the cover, FB would have deleted it straight away.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 20, 2014 5:35:52 PM

3. I reported the page to Facebook and they stated: "Thank you for taking the time to report something that you feel may violate our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment. We reviewed the page you reported for containing hate speech or symbols and found it doesn't violate our Community Standards." WOW and I say WOW really!!!!!!

Posted by: mokeygray | Jan 20, 2014 5:45:34 PM

4. Is the page still there? Does anyone have a link? The only page I can find with that name sees to be a satire page.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 20, 2014 5:57:30 PM

5. Looks like FB has yanked the whole page down which is very good news. There is now a pro-gay replacement using the name. Good news.

Posted by: Strikan | Jan 20, 2014 6:14:03 PM

6. @James Troia, I think you're correct. The page has disappeared, as have the posts I posted on my personal page & my reading series page.

Posted by: Hank Henderson | Jan 20, 2014 6:18:39 PM

7. The only page I find for Heterosexual Awareness Month is this:

The offending post appears nowhere there and the page has only 293 Likes, so I assume it's not the one referenced here. The other one seems to be gone.

And when you get responses when you report things on Facebook that seem automated, that's because they are. "We reviewed the page you reported" should be interpreted very loosely.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 20, 2014 6:31:54 PM

8. @Ernie - I think the other group is heteroawarenessmonth1. I don't have a Facebook account so I can't check it, however, since it requires you to be logged in to see it.

But the link to the James Troia item says that the content is currently unavailable. I guess someone at Facebook is taking stuff down.

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 20, 2014 7:51:18 PM

9. What an idiotic post...not worth supporting from ANY angle....

Posted by: Darby | Jan 20, 2014 10:37:18 PM

10. Now that right there is a right laugh , Heterosexual Awareness month ? Isn't everyday of every month of the year about heterosexuals ?

Posted by: Kenneth | Jan 21, 2014 7:00:37 AM

11. JJ is right is was satire, from bad children's books, another title with the same picture was "Daddy Hopes he Has enough Rope in the trunk"

Posted by: NwYrker | Jan 21, 2014 7:23:47 AM

12. they've started a new page on Facebook, here's the link...

Posted by: D.Allen | Jan 22, 2014 10:51:04 AM

13. Heterosexual Awareness Month didn't post that. You're making sh!t up. It's sad that's the best you can do. And it doesn't help your case. And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

Posted by: Tim | Aug 31, 2014 10:51:49 AM

14. WHY DO YOU LIE???
    It is a wonderful page on FB that supports real man+woman families and normal marriage relationships

Posted by: Eugene Koshanof | Aug 31, 2014 6:03:47 PM