Conor Cusack | Donal Og Cusack | I'm Gay | Ireland | News

Irish Hurler Conor Cusack Comes Out

Cusack

In a lengthy blog post published on Monday, Irish hurler Conor Cusack, came out of the closet. Cusack played the Gaelic sport of hurling with the Cork senior inter-county team in 2006 and now plays with the local club in Cloyne. He has made national headlines in Ireland for his devotion to helping others battle depression, which he has battled his whole life.

Cusack writes, in part:

I’ve known for a good while now that I have been sexually attracted to men. In that time, I’ve had relationships with women, and enjoyed them immensely but I’ve always had more fulfilment from being with a man. I’m not sure what label society would categorise me under. I remember a doctor one time telling me I was a bi-polar depressive and a different guy a few weeks later telling me I was a manic depressive. Go figure that one out! Life for me is never black or white (though I know a lot about the blackness) but more about different shades of grey....

...I have been comfortable with this area of my life and I never felt the need to discuss it with anyone. That is until recently. As I crossed the border from Galway into Clare and then back home to Cork and through the towns of Buttevant, Charleville and Mallow, I thought strongly about the current Mental Health work I am involved with. I thought about all the different people that I have spoken to and about all the upcoming events that I have committed to. I asked myself the question ‘Do I need to talk and discuss this aspect and area of my life?

Cusack is the brother of hurler Donal Og Cusack, who came out as gay in 2009.

Comments

1. I wonder what their parents must be thinking about now. Two gay sons?

Posted by: Oh Boy | Jan 29, 2014 2:05:31 PM

2. Excellent, excellent , excellent !
    His brother Donal Og Cusack was the first to blaze this trail, both players in the hardest, fastest sport in the world.

He will be happier; he will have fewer dark places, he will not need those doctors who will tell him anything except that he might be gay.
    I hope he reads this; I hope is as bloody proud of himself as we are.
    -------------------------------------
    To RICK, the ghoul :
    Don't bother us with your anti-Irish racist bile. No one gives a flying phuck what you say.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 29, 2014 2:10:04 PM

3. This is now almost daily routine, athletes coming out, and I like it. I wish all the best to this handsome guy!

Posted by: Matt27 | Jan 29, 2014 2:16:53 PM

4. Another bisexual promoting heterosexuality. What a filth!

Posted by: litper | Jan 29, 2014 2:20:24 PM

5. Bipolar and manic depression are synonyms. There, figured that out for you.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jan 29, 2014 2:31:35 PM

6. Yeah Conor!!! Very proud of you.
    @Litper...up your meds pal.

Posted by: Paul B. | Jan 29, 2014 2:42:42 PM

7. (insert gratuitous comments about hurling "logs" here)

Posted by: Brandon h | Jan 29, 2014 2:57:40 PM

8. OH BOY: You're kidding, right? The majority of gay people I know, me included, have at least one other gay sibling. And very often the siblings are close in age. (For example, my lesbian sister and I are the two youngest of seven; her ex-GF and HER sister are the two youngest of four; my best friend and his brother are third and fourth out of six; and I work with gay fraternal twins... The list goes on and on.)

Posted by: McCoysMarketNYC | Jan 29, 2014 3:01:20 PM

9. Anyone who speaks about mental health issues openly and publicly deserves a ton of respect. They're such difficult subjects and so many people suffer from them, yet so few "come out" and talk about them. So I'm glad to see him do that.

And I'm glad to see him "come out" as whatever label -- or lack thereof -- he'd like!

Now, for my vacuous comment... what a hunk!

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 29, 2014 3:12:22 PM

10. Conor Cusack is not gay, so the gay segregationists can't claim him, thank goodness. He said he's capable of relationships with both men and women. In fact, most men are.

The gay segregationists will weep that they can't use yet another individual as their poster child.

Posted by: jason | Jan 29, 2014 3:25:12 PM

11. Conor is retired, but this is nice news nonetheless.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 29, 2014 3:28:40 PM

12. Thanks, Conor, for opening up about your own struggles and helping others through theirs. Mental health is precious, and your willingness to share and engage with others with similar issues suggests you're making progress. Congratulations!

Posted by: Onnyjay | Jan 29, 2014 3:32:10 PM

13. So you must know him, Jason, to make such pronouncements.

I think his words are clear:'I've always had more fulfilment from being with a man.'
    'I have been sexually attracted to men.'
    Where does he say he was sexually attracted to women ?

Troll as much as you want.....
    It's in the words.
    It's a hint.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 29, 2014 3:40:17 PM

14. "I’ve had relationships with women, and enjoyed them immensely"

yuck

Posted by: litper | Jan 29, 2014 3:47:43 PM

15. Good good good. The closet is getting emptier all the time...

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Jan 29, 2014 3:55:46 PM

16. All the best to Conor and f#ck Lipter, Jason, Rick and all the other mutants and there aliases who post their negative depressing bull s#it on Towleroad .

Posted by: andrew | Jan 29, 2014 4:05:25 PM

17. That is very brave of him. I hope his honesty empowers him to continue his good work.

Posted by: Rafael | Jan 29, 2014 4:12:00 PM

18. "I’ve had relationships with women, and enjoyed them immensely"

That could have been phrased better!

Posted by: anon | Jan 29, 2014 4:18:22 PM

19. Take a chill pill. I'm happy for the both of them.

Posted by: Oh Boy | Jan 29, 2014 4:36:25 PM

20. Lucky parents! It's my dream that my sperm is only capable of making making gay kids. I mean...let's be real...who in their right mind wants a straight son? We are the superior species.

Posted by: daws | Jan 29, 2014 9:45:59 PM

21. @Jan, where did you read he's gay? He's "had relationships with women, and enjoyed them immensely".

Posted by: litper | Jan 30, 2014 2:02:23 AM

22. oops i mean @DAWS

Posted by: litper | Jan 30, 2014 2:02:44 AM

23. Sexuality is a spectrum. You can be a male who has sex with women but still identify as gay because men are your preference. I just met a guy who's coming out who is married to a woman (he's come out to her too) and they're still having sex which he says has been great but she's the only woman he finds attractive all the while he definitely prefers men.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jan 30, 2014 7:55:01 AM

24. @JACKFKNTWIST Coming out will not necessarily vanquish Conor Cusack's battles with depression. Surely, he will be a much happier man and more at peace with himself. But, depression, bipolar disorder, those are still issues he will have to deal with. Coming out will not make those disappear. But, it will give him a better chance to manage them.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 30, 2014 11:13:20 AM

25. This is great, congrats to this young man, one question, what the heck is hurling. The only hurling I know is what occurs after one to many Jack and Cokes.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Jan 30, 2014 11:22:18 AM