Ellie Goulding | Kings Road | Music | Music Video | News | The Wanted

BigGayDeal.com

Gay A Cappella Trio Mashes Up Ellie Goulding, One Republic, and The Wanted: VIDEO

Kingsroad

Chris Etscheid, David Marenberg and Kris Fitzgerald, the out gay a cappella trio known as Kings Road (you may remember their last video "I Choose Love") is back with a mash-up of Ellie Goulding's "Burn", OneRepublic's "If I Lose Myself", and The Wanted's "Glad You Came" shot in Huntington Beach and Bel Air, California.

Enjoy, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_kingsroad

Comments

1. Here's a Fun Cute Look: I'm going to play the part of Cranky Old Guy Who Doesn't Get It.

Is it REALLY a capella when there's THAT much post-production? In videos like this, the music seems almost an afterthought to other things like cute chunky scarves in fun fall textures or flashing your Invisilines(tm) for the camera because this is sort of a crazy rabbit hole where "a capella" might mean "without music" but it absolutely DOESN'T mean "without camera" because what's the point, right, asked our most important 20th century philosopher Warren Beatty: why do something if it isn't for the camera? And a performance like this is almost criticism-proof because you can't claim it sounds bad because it's been manufactured within an inch of its life; and you can't fault the gentlemen singing because that's cosmetology at its finest, with eyebrows so perfect you could floss with them but ultimately here's the problem: the whole thing entirely lacks soul. There's no LIFE there. It's a robot's voice conjuring the music of other artists to be lip-synched by pretty people on a beach with sweaters.

And: fin.

Now. How do I submit this comment to the Groundlings as my audition for their sketch comedy troupe? I can also do a flawless Meg Ryan and have some very amusing takes on the current state of American politics.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jan 15, 2014 10:07:20 AM

2. Wow, I remember loving The Nylons back in the late 80's...guess I was 25 years ahead of my time!

Posted by: Dback | Jan 15, 2014 10:18:24 AM

3. What Mike B. said. My younger daughter has sung in many an a cappella choir. They made all the sound -- all of it -- themselves. This was a cappella Lite, or not really a cappella at all. Don't hate them for their teeth, though; I just had mine straightened. . . .

Posted by: Ken | Jan 15, 2014 10:28:26 AM

4. HaHa! Very literate & clever, Mike B.
    But here's one from a real cranky old guy - well, old at least, because how can you be that cranky in 2014 when you lived the Seventies only to see it be destroyed by the Eighties.
    And I liked the video. It went well with my morning coffee. (I do realize that none of them is another Jonas Kaufmann!)

Posted by: DrMikey | Jan 15, 2014 10:47:50 AM

5. Mike B has a good point. Unfortunately, the audio production here is actually quite mild compared to a lot of modern a cappella. I give points for an inventive arrangement and [probably] good background vocals.

The biggest problem is the lack of soul. Each of these three guys looks like they're trying to be models, not singers. Singers do not smile and mug for the camera 100% of the time, and seeing it here is incredibly off-putting.

Posted by: Chip | Jan 15, 2014 11:01:13 AM

6. A line from the Wikipedia page on 'A cappella': Contemporary a cappella includes many vocal groups and bands who add vocal percussion or beatboxing to create a pop/rock sound, in some cases very similar to bands with instruments.

Also learned from there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_cappella)that this style started as a revolt by religiou groups thinking musical intruments were sinful. Go figure!

Posted by: Christopher | Jan 15, 2014 11:22:18 AM

7. Not my thing. But I like the pretty one.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jan 15, 2014 11:22:47 AM

8. ...pretty ONE???

Posted by: Tilion | Jan 15, 2014 11:44:33 AM

9. "A line from the Wikipedia page on 'A cappella': Contemporary a cappella includes many vocal groups and bands who add vocal percussion or beatboxing to create a pop/rock sound, in some cases very similar to bands with instruments."

No, sure, I feel you. Who here hasn't "ba-rump-a-bum-bum"'d to The Little Drummer Boy and remember that guy in the Police Academy movies who made the mouth noises and you were what, 12? That guy was fun. I guess what I'm saying is: I'm aware of beatboxing.

This is a step beyond beatboxing.

When you're adding vocal effects like echoes or reverbs and/or/additionally whatever Photoshop filter one uses to give those boys some charisma (hope you kept the receipt, YouTube video creator!), though, you've moved beyond "Hey, spitting into my cupped hand is--" well, it's gross, but I'm also a gay male adult and I've seen those videos and you should be ashamed of yourself but it ALSO sounds like a techno beat, so you've moved beyond that to "None of what is happening on the screen is organic except MAYBE the hair products from Bumble & Bumble" (that's still a relevant reference, right?)

Posted by: Mike B. | Jan 15, 2014 12:11:54 PM

10. Looks like they are a legit acapela group that can perform without the bells/whistles: Just found this one of them with no drums or effects and its not half bad! http://youtu.be/l1OUHHPgqVo

Posted by: marty party | Jan 15, 2014 2:13:29 PM

11. They are cute and sing well.

Posted by: jarago | Jan 15, 2014 5:48:06 PM

12. I would listen, but am having a hard enough time getting that OneRepublic song out of my head.

Posted by: zeddy | Jan 15, 2014 7:40:16 PM