Carmen Carrera | Katie Couric | Laverne Cox | News | Transgender

Laverne Cox and Carmen Carrera Enlighten Katie Couric on Gender Identity: VIDEO

Carrera

Trans model Carmen Carrera and Orange is the New Black actress Laverne Cox appeared on Katie today and offered Katie Couric some guidance on gender identity, advising Couric to steer away from a fixation on "private parts" to that of identity and humanity.

Carrera pointed out that in interviews with trans people, interviews "always focus on either the transition or the genitalia" and "there's more to trans people than just that."

Cox joined the interview later and pointed out the disproportionate discrimination and violence that trans people face, adding "by focusing on bodies we don’t focus on the lived realities of that oppression and that discrimination."

Watch the interviews, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via autostraddle)

Cox

Comments

1. MIKE IN IOWA: Whether or not she had the surgery on her penis and testicles, she's still conforming to the binary gender scheme transsexuals complain about whenever someone gets too "cis" for their liking.

(Rae Spoon, on the other hand, defies the gender paradigm.)

Posted by: Knock | Jan 8, 2014 1:25:00 PM

2. A, what's with the asterisk? Is this yet another way that trans activists are screwing around with language?

Homosexuality has not been a mental disorder for 41 years. Transgender has been a mental disorder for all of that time and the new DSM V continues to list it as a treatable condition, even though it now appears under different categories than before. So no real comparison there.

LGB and T are not "a community." They are two discrete communities with their own characteristics and priorities. Arguably, even T is not one community but several different ones forced together by trans activists. Since I am not trans, I won't wade into that fight. But what I can say is that LGBT is BS.

Posted by: Merrill | Jan 8, 2014 2:08:22 PM

3. I love both of these ladies!

Posted by: JMC | Jan 8, 2014 4:12:51 PM

4. Miss Carrera is a stunning looking woman.

Posted by: jarago | Jan 8, 2014 5:44:36 PM

5. Ann. I presume you have the same opinion regarding FTM transgender people?

Posted by: Robert | Jan 8, 2014 6:41:22 PM

6. Looks like Sam, Ann, and a few others still need to express the binary bigotry of the uneducated. I will confess I have difficulty not thinking in the traditional he/she sexual mode; as a gay man I still think of myself principally as a man. Referring to a trans co-worker in the third person, I too easily think of "her" rather than of "him" in his own identity. So I know how easily we rely on traditions and first impressions, and resist updating our pronouns. Too many folks like Sam and Ann, however, seem to reject reality and prefer the traditional delusion that sexuality exists only in "she or he" with a smattering of diseased or abnormal individuals. This offers yet another reason that public schools should teach about sexuality, despite what local parents might want.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jan 9, 2014 10:54:20 AM

7. Neither gays nor trans are men. To be a man, you have to have both male genitalia and male brain. Gays and trans have female brain and male genitalia, so they are not men. Only in blind and superficial Abrahamic worldview they are men.

Posted by: TheSeer | Jan 9, 2014 1:30:17 PM