Discrimination | News | Oregon

State Investigation: Oregon Baker Unlawfully Discriminated Against Gay Couple

Sweetckaes

Sweet Cakes by Melissa, the Oregon baker who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple's wedding, were protested heavily, and closed up shop late last year after being the target of a state investigation, have been found guilty by that investigation of unlawfully discrimination, The Oregonian reports.

The state will now oversee a conciliation process between the two parties to see if a settlement can be reached. If not, the labor bureau may pursue charges before an administrative law judge...

...Herbert Grey, the Beaverton attorney representing bakery owners Aaron and Melissa Klein, said the investigation’s outcome was expected. He said the Kleins will participate in the conciliation process, but are maintaining their original stance.

The Kleins have contended they weren't discriminating against the couple, who were customers in the past. Instead, they say they were practicing their Constitutional right to religious freedom. They have said baking a cake for a same-sex wedding would violate their Christian beliefs.

CakeThe couple asked for prayers from supporters on their Facebook page following the decision, writing:

To all of you that have been praying for Aaron and I, I want to say thank you. I know that your prayers are being heard. I feel such a peace with all of this that is going on. Even though there are days that are hard and times of struggle we still feel that the Lord is in this. It is His fight and our situation is in His hands. We received papers from BOLI yesterday and they have made their decision that we have apparently discriminated. From what we have gathered we now have to wait to find out what the fines will be within 60 days. I can't say much more but will update when I'm able to. Please continue to pray for our family. God is great, amazing and all powerful. I know He has a plan

Comments

1. Well, we all know that prayer does not work....so they better go to plan B

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 20, 2014 1:23:23 PM

2. Wow. Isn't it amazing what a little Google will dig up. They've got some sinful skeletons in their own closet. Before now, I didn't know a church goer could have so much sin, but I guess in their case it's okay.

For all of their sanctimony and grandstanding about their supposed "religious beliefs" they - themselves - meaning the both of them - are far from without past sins.

Wouldn't it be coincidental if some of their past creditors [oh yes, they have those, too] happened to be gay? Wouldn't it be coincidental if someone on the investigation panel was gay?

My my my, the can of worms is open and they are crawling around everywhere. Enjoy your "religious beliefs" and you might even want to call that thing you call a church to ask for financial assistance when the wrecking ball shows up on your doorstep.

I'm sure they'll be there for ya, with their open checkbook.

Good Lord, you two are a train wreck.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 20, 2014 1:27:27 PM

3. To the bakers: Maybe God's plan is for you to realize that what you're doing is wrong.

Posted by: SeattleMike | Jan 20, 2014 1:34:15 PM

4. They should call themselves the Duck Dynasty Donut Shop or the Phelps Pastry Parlor from the looks of the husband and wife. Apparently not enough people prayed for them. And, then again, the misinterpretation of Freedom of Speech. Time to live in society and stop making excuses. There IS a cure for anti-socialism.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jan 20, 2014 1:44:27 PM

5. I say most people will not go where or do business where they are not wanted. I say they pay a fine and have to have it advertised prominently online and on their doors they have religious abjection to severing people who are gay. That way everyone knows they are bigots and will not shop there.

Posted by: Lane | Jan 20, 2014 2:02:37 PM

6. I will totally support them when I see the paper work that EVERYONE that wants a cake from these people have to fill out. You know the one that says "please list any potential sins so we won't violate our religious beliefs buy baking something for you". I'm sure they would have to keeps those on file for at least 7 years. We can then see how many of them have "DENIED" stamped on them. If not then oh well no luck for you pick and choose christians!!

Posted by: Akula | Jan 20, 2014 3:24:42 PM

7. Christians... The Romans needed to buy some more lions for their arenas. Too many survived and the breed like lemmings.

There is NO WAY I can feel sorry for them being forced to quit discriminating, considering how many non-Christians and REAL Christians have been murdered by these terrorists in the last 2,000 years.

Posted by: Art | Jan 20, 2014 3:32:00 PM

8. "I know He has a plan"

It's nonsense of course, but if you believe this, why are you ignoring your god's plainly clear message?

Posted by: Randy | Jan 20, 2014 5:18:35 PM

9. As usual, too blinded by their faith to consider the plan they are sure God has in store for them isn't their plan, but perhaps the one already in play. God is trying to tell you something- you're bigots and need to get over yourselves. Are you listening?

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 20, 2014 5:42:03 PM

10. I think Mathew says, something like judge not, lest ye be judged. While pointing out the splinter in someone's eye, you ignore the log in yours.

Posted by: Armando | Jan 20, 2014 10:04:19 PM

11. @Mark : in Christian theology, it is OK to have lots of sinful skeletons in the closet as long as you "repent" by groveling profusely and praising Jesus. Past skeletons are OK. If they are adding new ones on a regular basis, that might raise a few eyebrows.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 21, 2014 12:50:01 AM