‘Top Gear’ Host Jeremy Clarkson Under Fire for ‘Gay’ Twitter Pic

Clarkson

Jeremy Clarkson, the host of the UK's car show Top Gear, posted a photo on Twitter his friends had taken of him after he had fallen asleep on a plane.

A piece of paper with the words "gay c–t" scrawled on it was held near Clarkson's head.

The Independent reports:

The famously acerbic TV personality then shared the image on his Twitter account alongside the caption: "Sadly, I fell asleep on the plane."

After attracting a barrage of protesting tweets, the 53-year-old removed the message, posting instead: "I have deleted my last tweet and would like to apologise profusely to anyone who I upset while I was asleep."

However, it is unclear whether Clarkson posted the picture himself, or whether that too was a practical joke played by his ‘hilarious’ Top Gear co-stars.

Comments

1. atomic says

Again, I use the race test: if that card had said “nigg-r” would you think that any of them would still think it funny, or that they would even continue to have a job? They should ALL be fired. No excuses, not rationalizations, no blaming it on a prank in poor taste.

2. anon says

They’ve always been anti-pc in their humor, but it’s also always self-directed, so they get away with it. You can tell they are otherwise fair minded.

3. Leroy Laflamme says

This picture has appeared elsewhere in its uncensored form. If you’re going to Photoshop an image in a news article, you should acknowledge it. Towleroad is not a Tumblr blog.

4. Charles says

No point. The man’s a neanderthal who can’t relate emotionally to anything but machines who appeals to other neanderthals who can’t relate emotionally to anything but machines.

5. Andrew says

Top Gear is the world’s most popular factual television program, with weekly audiences of about 250 million. The thing to remember about these three is that they are a) 8; b) while they make fun of everyone (themselves most of all and in an often crude manner), they don’t actually believe that women shouldn’t be able to vote, or that I shouldn’t be able to marry the person I love, etc. and; c) they’re in their 40s and 50s.

6. Tone says

Despicable, but exactly what I would expect from the least-credible and most sophomoric car show on TV anywhere in the world. Top Gear is to automotive journalism as a meth lab is to your local pharmacy.

7. jjose712 says

Maybe he is insensitive, but he is not homophobic. I remember a Will Young interview in his show, and he flirted all the time (and the other cohost teased him a lot of times about that interview).

8. Icebloo says

It has been one incident after another all the way through his career & the BBC always let him get away with it. He is a sexist, racist & homophobic pri@k. What do you expect from such a self obsessed right winger ?

9. Jack Ford says

@Icebloo – You took the words right out of my mouth. Try reading his column in The Sun (if you can stand the horror). If he was American, he’d be a Teabagger. The man is scum.

10. tim evans says

i support hid freedom of speech. since when did being gay over rule normal people?i personally think ita a mental condition that should have been dealt with instead of sypothised over. I support Top Gear fully as well as Mr Clarksons right to express himself. to the hosts of Top Gear my hat is off to u all. invite me to be on ur show!i tell my son regularly how the world is so full of narrow minded idiots so ready to express their useless opinions. I also question if the same ones have laminated maps hung from their rearview to show directions to and from their jobs. at least the ones whose moms allow them to work.