Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead at 46

Capote

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in New York on Sunday morning, the NYT reports:

Mr. Hoffman, 46, was found in an apartment in the West Village around 11:30 a.m. by a friend who had become concerned at not being able to reach Mr. Hoffman, a law enforcement official said.

Investigators found a syringe in his left forearm, at least two plastic envelopes with what appeared to be heroin nearby, and five empty plastic envelopes in a trash bin, the official said.

“It’s pretty apparent that it was an overdose,” the official said. “The syringe was in his arm.”

Hoffman's family released a statement this afternoon:

"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."

Hoffman's critically-acclaimed performances number in the dozens and included star turns in Almost Famous, The Master, Cold Mountain, Empire Falls, Magnolia, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and many others. He won an Oscar for his 2006 role as Truman Capote in Capote.

What a loss.

Comments

1. says

He was a great actor and a truly lovely person. I had chances to chat with him on several occasions and he was bright, funny and supremely generous with his fellow actors. When he won Best Actor from the L.A. Film Critics for “Capote” he spent half the speech singing the praises of Catherine Keener. He also told me some hilarious stories about Streep when they made “Doubt.”

Actors this good don’t come along every day. He wasn’t a handsome leading man type yet he was compellingly attractive in ways better-looking actors rarely are.

2. JackFknTwist says

This is such sad news. He seemed such a jovial person and a marvellous and diverse actor.

And he didn’t come across as a diva……just a funny contented guy.

3. wheelie81 says

When you play with drugs, you face the consequences. It is a sad loss, and I feel very sorry for everyone he left behind. But I find it very hard to find any sympathy for him directly.

4. SpaceCadet says

People who are heavy into drugs or alcohol are generally doing so to mask a deeper pain. So yes, I feel sympathy for them.

PSH was a legendary talent and he leaves an amazing acting legacy with which to remember him by.

5. Matt says

@wheelie81 I find comments hard to read like yours. We don’t have a good handle on mental health and substances as a society, so to simply say this is all about ‘choices’, or why would someone ‘do’ heroin sounds pretty ignorant and blames the victim. I’d encourage you to dig deeper. This wasn’t just his problem…this is everyone’s problem. Mental health services are dreadful globally. You are right in suggesting this could have been preventable, but not because of his choices…

6. Heath says

I don’t get these drugs apologists. Drugs have devastated the LGBT community. Non drug users also have to face and deal with the high HIV index fuled in large by the rampant and irresposible use of drugs.

7. SpaceCadet says

I wasn’t making excuses for him or others in his situation. I only stated that I feel sympathy for people who are so troubled that they throw away otherwise promising lives due to substance abuse.

8. SpaceCadet says

He was amazing in every film I’ve seen him in: Boogie Nights, The Talented Mister Ripley, Doubt, Capote, The Master, Mission: Impossible III. How fortunate he made so many films and still several others that have yet to be released. Definitely one of the greatest actors of all time I think.

9. Derrick from Philly says

As they said on Morning Joe this morning–he was one of the greatest actors of our time.

I’m shocked that I was emotionally affected as I was by his death. You never know what’s going to get to you.

10. jamal49 says

I would occasionally see Mr. Hoffman around the neighborhood where he lived, which was on Bethune St. in Greenwich Village, as I worked nearby. I never had the nerve to approach him. Once, I saw him in a local Gristedes making a purchase and a lady did approach him and spoke to him. They may have known each other, I don’t know. They chatted for several moments and he said something to her which caused them both to laugh uproariously. He then said “thank you” and left.

Sincere condolences to his wife and children, family and friends. Such a tragedy!

11. ratbastard says

I disagree with the commonly held notion that hardcore druggies and alcoholics are always hiding some deep, personal pain. I think that type of abuse and addiction is primarily physiologically based, and a relatively small percentage of the population are prone to this type of behavior based primarily on personal genetics. Most human beings can drink alcohol on a regular basis, even occasionally use hard drugs like heroin and cocaine, and strictly speaking not be an problem addict.

Regarding Mr. Hoffman, it’s unusual for a hardcore heroin addict to O.D., but he was sober off and on for years and perhaps his body wasn’t prepared for the hot stuff he slammed. It is common for casual users who shoot up heroin to O.D. He also said public ally he generally snorted, which is much safer than injecting.

I snorted heroin twice when I was 22 years old. It’s an amazing feeling and drug, and I can understand how some keep going back to it and become hardcore druggies.