Arizona | News

Arizona GOP State Senators Call Their Votes for Anti-Gay Discrimination Bill a Mistake, Urge Veto

Sens_az

Three Republican Senators are now calling on Governor Jan Brewer to veto SB 1162, the bill that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays based on their religious beliefs, ABC15 reports:

Sen. Bob Worsley says he and Sens. Adam Driggs and Steve Pierce sent a letter to Brewer Monday asking her to strike down the legislation allowing business owners with strongly held religious beliefs to refuse service to gays.

Worsley says he was uncomfortable when he voted for the bill. Both he and Pierce called their votes a mistake.

Comments

1. Censure and then recall them if you are ashamed of the vote you just did a few days ago.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 24, 2014 1:32:39 PM

2. Here's the thing. This passed by a HUGE margin in the legislature. You people do not want us in your state. I don't care if it is vetoed or not, I am NEVER coming back to Arizona. EVER.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 24, 2014 1:34:31 PM

3. You vote for something or you don't. No mistake about it. When you vote to discriminate, saying it was a mistake doesn't make it better.

I hate when these homophobes think they can have it both ways.

Posted by: Larry | Feb 24, 2014 1:34:50 PM

4. "Stop us before we hate again."

Is this is a bizarre cry for help, or did they imagine hearing cash registers stop ringing* all across their dried-up wasteland of a state?

*although now they just beep; pity.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Feb 24, 2014 1:38:50 PM

5. Seriously a mistake doesn't wait for days to correct itself. Legalized discrimination doesn't wait for constituents to speak up. They should be voted out. Too bad I live in this state.

Posted by: Debbi | Feb 24, 2014 1:41:59 PM

6. Bigot's remorse?

Posted by: JH | Feb 24, 2014 1:45:28 PM

7. @MARK, It passed 33-27, not exactly a "huge" margin. And think twice before you generalize all of Arizona. The way the congressional districts are gerrymandered here all but guarantee the election of the most far-right candidates, and these voters are in the suburbs outside of progressive cities such as Phoenix, Tempe, Tucson, Flagstaff, Sedona, Bisbee, etc. Arizona is a beautiful state. I live in central Phoenix, which is very liberal and progressive with a thriving gay community.

Come back, don't come back, but don't call us all crazy :)

Posted by: Luke | Feb 24, 2014 1:48:19 PM

8. Yes, bigot's remorse. But not for how they feel, but that they may lose votes because of it. I bet that if there weren't any political repercussions, these three would still vote with their blackened hearts.

Disgusting, AZ, absolutely disgusting.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 24, 2014 1:49:17 PM

9. These 3 votes would have made the vote a tie. 33-27 would be 30-30.

I'd like to know more. Ask them why they voted for it to begin with. Did they believe in the legislation or was there political pressure? If so, who from? And what caused the change of heart now that it might be too late?

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 24, 2014 1:51:31 PM

10. I will make certain, for the rest of my life, that NO part of any product I purchase was made in Arizona or produced by an Arizona company.

It's too late for these un-American senators to undo their hate-votes so there is NO POSSIBILITY of redemption for them, ever.

I got the message Arizona, you can't EVER take it back. Boycotting Arizona forever.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 24, 2014 1:54:05 PM

11. I wonder if they thought "there's no way this'll pass, but I have to vote for it so I don't get primary-ed out of a job," and now they're thinking "oh, snap, I just helped turn my state into a nightmare theocracy! Undo, undo"!

Posted by: Brad | Feb 24, 2014 1:54:35 PM

12. Vetoed or not, Arizona should be boycotted. The people of Arizona should be punished for filling legislature with these lunatics and extremists.

Posted by: TheSeer | Feb 24, 2014 2:05:45 PM

13. @LUKE: Crazy? No I think he meant to call you lazy. 250 supporters show up at the capital to protest. How many show at Steele Indian School Park every year to get their worthless drunk on. You people need to get off your @sses. If booze isn't attached, the LGBT community in either Phoenix OR Tucson where I live can't be inconvenienced except for a paltry sum of activists.

Posted by: Marc C | Feb 24, 2014 2:07:25 PM

14. @Luke & Seriously - Some clarification. The bill passed 33-27 in the Arizona House. These three are State Senators. In the Arizona Senate, it passed 17-13. So if these three idiots had joined the opposition, the bill actually would have been defeated by 2 votes, 14-16.

Posted by: Editrix | Feb 24, 2014 2:07:57 PM

15. It seems some people start to feel the heat

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 24, 2014 2:08:06 PM

16. It's pretty bad when Arizona is more bigotted than Mississippi.

What is wrong with the voters in that state?

The white people of Arizona should be ashamed of their government....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Feb 24, 2014 2:08:37 PM

17. Force them to explain, in full and specific detail, the reasons for their original vote.

The legacies of all 33 people who voted "yes" are tarnished forever, and I hope it hurts their chances in any future elections.

But I give these three guys a little bit of credit for expressing their remorse relatively quickly. I hope they learn: Don't be such a god-damn thoughtless bigot.

The Alliance Defending Freedom must be freaking out at the backlash. Victory was so close! I was going to be: First Arizona, then Kansas, etc. etc.

Brian Brown must be shitting his pants, too.

Posted by: I pay lots of taxes | Feb 24, 2014 2:09:13 PM

18. Idiots.

Posted by: Drummond | Feb 24, 2014 2:10:13 PM

19. Here's what is wrong with Arizona: You have a young, college-educated Jewish state representative Adam Kwasman voting for the hate bill because he thinks it will help him in the Republican Congressional primary.

It is amusing to see him backpedaling on his Facebook page, claiming the bill had nothing to do with being anti-gay. I encourage people to visit the page and leave comments:

Posted by: homer | Feb 24, 2014 2:13:27 PM

20. 'These three are State Senators. In the Arizona Senate, it passed 17-13. So if these three idiots had joined the opposition, the bill actually would have been defeated by 2 votes, 14-16. '

Thanks for the correction @EDITRIX.
    I didn't look up which chamber they were in.

That actually makes it far worse. It would have been defeated.
    Now I REALLY want to know the details of why.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 24, 2014 2:21:56 PM

21. This is making me REALLY REALLY angry. These people in the legislature have no moral spine, they have no integrity, they don't even believe in their own bigotry -- they are the worse, bottomfeeding scum there is. Can anyone stand up for something that isn't mercenary pandering claptrap. SICKENING on every level.

Posted by: David | Feb 24, 2014 2:24:23 PM

22. GOP effluvia...

Posted by: TheSeer | Feb 24, 2014 2:34:08 PM

23. I'm getting the feeling, especially after the Chamber of Commerce came out in favor of a veto, that these three legislators have CoC funding and the pressure has been put on them. I don't think they "felt funny" voting for it at all, I think their bo$$e$ told them what jerks they were; and now it's all "to whomever I've offended, my remarks were taken out of context" tomfoolery.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Feb 24, 2014 2:49:01 PM

24. Money speaks louder than actions in politics and these politicians got called out on it. Let's hope they are voted out of office in the next election.

Posted by: Owens | Feb 24, 2014 2:49:53 PM

25. in other news, Westboro Baptist Church is relocating to Phoenix.

Posted by: Bubba | Feb 24, 2014 2:54:30 PM