Arizona | Jon Stewart | Kansas | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jon Stewart Rips Arizona and Kansas for Bills Legalizing Anti-Gay Discrimination: VIDEO

Az_stewart

In a series last night accusing certain U.S. states of being the "meth labs of democracy," Jon Stewart blasted bills in Arizona (which passed) and Kansas (which failed) that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays based on religious beliefs.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It is inconceivable, at least to me, as to what Arizona is doing here. Are they so prejudiced they need to pass a law that discriminates against their own citizens? People across the nation will avoid doing any business with them.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Feb 21, 2014 11:50:51 AM

2. Arizona . . . It's A Dry Hate!

Posted by: Charles Sheboy | Feb 21, 2014 11:58:36 AM

3. You can't spell "CRAZY" without "R-AZ".

Posted by: TheSeer | Feb 21, 2014 12:01:07 PM

4. So, as I understand this, Religion, which already has protection, needs even more so they can hate openly. Gays, on the other hand, who have no protections according to these people, need legislation promoting the ability to hate them openly.

I see.

Like I didn't hate Arizona enough before this.

Posted by: Sean | Feb 21, 2014 12:05:36 PM

5. @THESEER The best comment, which I would like to quote. I've not hear it before so I hope it's an original because you could make a mint off that! It would look great on a T-shirt. Get it copyrighted or trademarked or something.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 21, 2014 12:31:45 PM

6. I also like::

Arizona, It's a Dry Hate.

I'm going to take them both. THANKS!!

Posted by: Steve Talbert | Feb 21, 2014 1:34:55 PM

7. It's a bizarre scenario for the courts to ponder. Religious objections are so vague though it would probably not pass federal muster. They would probably need to define gender specific trades and trade requirements.

Posted by: anon | Feb 21, 2014 1:44:17 PM

8. @theseer — yeah, great comment. Copyright it quickly, like Jamal49 suggested.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 21, 2014 1:55:27 PM

9. The thing is, it doesn't open up discrimination just to LGBT Arizona citizens. It's any minority: women, African Americans. Oh you need contraception? Sorry I'm not giving it to you. You're black and I don't want you in my restaurant.

It's all legal under this law. It's insane.

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 21, 2014 2:21:09 PM

10. I've read that comment somewhere today, maybe Huff post, I can't remember. I think it deserves to become a common saying in American English. And to have its place in the future dictionaries.

Posted by: TheSeer | Feb 21, 2014 2:40:16 PM

11. This is an awful day for Arizona, but please do not think that we are all crazy here. Arizona is a beautiful state, and is actually pretty progressive in cities like Phoenix, Tempe, Tucson, Flagstaff, Bisbee, Sedona, etc. It is the suburbs full of Mormons and retirees who elect these idiots into office. I live in Central Phoenix which is very liberal and progressive, and has a thriving gay community :)

Posted by: Luke | Feb 21, 2014 3:26:33 PM

12. @Luke: I'm glad you're sticking up for yourself. As a Floridian, I get sick of hearing people bash my state based on the actions of a handful of politicians.

People tend to forget that no elected official gets 100% of the votes. Writing off an entire state is juvenile and counter-productive to progress.

Posted by: alex | Feb 21, 2014 7:53:15 PM