Baseball | Conner Mertens | I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

College Baseball Player Chandler Whitney, Boyfriend of First Out College Football Player, Comes Out

Whitney

Chandler Whitney, a baseball player at Walla Walla Community College and the boyfriend of Willamette University kicker Connor Mertens, who came out last week, has come out of the closet, Outsports reports:

MertensLast week when the baseball team gathered for the first practices of the new year, talk turned to stories from winter break. Because he'd spent much of the break with Mertens, Whitney felt the time was now. He stood up in front of the team, said he had contemplated whether to tell them a secret or not, and shared a "confession" he'd been holding back from them since they first met:

"I'm gay."

The team broke into spontaneous applause. It took Whitney off-guard.

"Being where I am in eastern Washington, it's not the response I expected. I'm in Walla Walla, there's not a lot of open-mindedness on the surface."

The players have been dating for six months.

Comments

1. Nice but clones but nice but uncannily alike.

But nice.

Posted by: Charles | Feb 3, 2014 12:23:19 PM

2. They do look like twins, and I find it scarily hot, but... Good for them!

Posted by: Larry | Feb 3, 2014 12:28:44 PM

3. Adorable. Kudos to them both.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 3, 2014 12:31:56 PM

4. Impossible. He looks too 'straight'. I bet he doesn't even speak with a affectation or lisp. And he's a real jock! No....no,no,no....does he even know what a Broadway musical is or get the vapors over Lady Gaga? And I'm sorry, but I don't detect any 'gay face' either.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 3, 2014 12:32:35 PM

5. Love is beautiful.

Posted by: litper | Feb 3, 2014 12:32:57 PM

6. The hearts of older daddies are breaking everywhere right now.

Posted by: David | Feb 3, 2014 12:33:31 PM

7. Wait, those are not pictures of the same person?

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 3, 2014 12:35:16 PM

8. I hope there is a video

Posted by: Ian | Feb 3, 2014 12:37:27 PM

9. It took me a couple minutes to realize those were pictures of two different people. Creepy

Posted by: Jmac | Feb 3, 2014 12:42:36 PM

10. Times have certainly changed since I was their age. Back in 1985, when I was 21, some of the guys on my dorm hall had a "No Fags" party and put signs up all over the University of Michigan advertising it. To think that Whitney's teammates applauded him makes me so happy with what is happening among younger people today.

Posted by: homer | Feb 3, 2014 12:48:16 PM

11. This is wrong of me, but...

can I watch?

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Feb 3, 2014 12:49:44 PM

12. "The times, they are a -changin'" 'Bout time too...

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Feb 3, 2014 12:52:34 PM

13. Wait, those are two different people?!? Congrats on them both coming out and basically at the same time. If those are actually what they look like, then yeah, they look like twins.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 3, 2014 1:03:22 PM

14. I know this is meant to be a feel-good story, but it's depressive we're plumbing community colleges to get our gay athletes. Jason Collins is still unsigned, without a team; a small contingent of straight football players tell us they'd have no problem with a gay player, they even know some, yet nobody comes out.

Posted by: will | Feb 3, 2014 1:06:41 PM

15. "... spontaneous applause." I'm 53, out for 30+ years, politically active for all of them and I still marvel at how things have changed.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 3, 2014 1:07:45 PM

16. The don't look the same at all, to me. Lovely story.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Feb 3, 2014 1:07:50 PM

17. You bitches who thought it was the same person? Time for your cataract surgeries.

Posted by: Ken | Feb 3, 2014 1:08:32 PM

18. Yeah, I mean they look similar of course... as similar as any white boy with the same haircut. But they clearly look different. Less snark, more cleaning on contacts please.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 3, 2014 1:13:53 PM

19. Wonderful! The world is changing. I wish all the best to this young man.

Posted by: Matt27 | Feb 3, 2014 1:22:34 PM

20. If you think these two fine young men look a lot alike, you haven't spent much time in the Midwest.

Posted by: BobN | Feb 3, 2014 1:25:21 PM

21. Michael in Toronto: Of course they don't look the same at all, they are the same type of jock guy and they have the same hairstyle but that's all. If people really think they look like twins they need glasses as soon as possible.

It's nice to see that people are less and less afraid of coming out. Maybe we lack on professional athletes, but it's only a question of time

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 3, 2014 1:33:13 PM

22. @ Will: I don't think it's a "small contingent of straight football players" saying they'd have no problem with it - everything I've read about it says the opposite - that a small contingent of kids from, uh, less privileged circumstances are the only ones who have the issue. We see their stories here from time to time and how they open their mouths wide and put their foot right into it - only to be called down for it when their management realizes they have to. I think the real issue of homophobia in professional sports resides mostly in management - not among the players themselves. Think about it: virtually every one of the guys on the field has out gay friends--have had for years - at least since college, and many of them further back than that. And if they didn't their girlfriends did--and in all likelihood the girlfriends let the boys hear about it if homophobic sentiments came ouf of their mouths.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Feb 3, 2014 1:37:49 PM

23. Well, these kids aren't using agents to shop for endorsement contracts, so yes, it is easier than for pro players, but then, they probably aren't financially independent yet either.

Posted by: anon | Feb 3, 2014 1:47:23 PM

24. Awesome. This is the future. Happy, healthy, well-adjusted gay and bi men integrated with families, their communities, peers and exploring healthy relationships based on love.

This is the future. Not a life built around loveless hookups. Not gays calling themselves queer and conceiving of themselves as perpetual outsiders.

No wonder "Ben From Oakland" and "David" respond with sexual harassment. Men of their generation are getting a look at the kind of life they could have had, but passed up in favor of a hypersexualized, loveless and disease-prone subculture that they created in the 70s and 80s. It is starting to dawn on them that they created a catastrophe for themselves and fewer and fewer gay people are willing to join them.

Posted by: Sam | Feb 3, 2014 1:51:55 PM

25. Creepy look-a-like thing going on here (at least in the two pictures posted with this "news" article.

Posted by: Perry | Feb 3, 2014 1:58:36 PM