News | Superheroes | Television

First Look: Grant Gustin as 'The Flash'

Gustin

The CW today released the world's first look at Grant Gustin (Glee's gay Warbler) in his new role as The Flash, a spin-off of the network's Arrow series. Gustin appeared in Arrow's two-part season finale in December but was not in superhero form.

Production on the pilot is scheduled to begin next week.

What do you think of Gustin as the super-speedy superhero?

Comments

1. Looks fine, other than being darker than expected. I enjoyed his intro story arc on Arrow, so I'm hoping it gets picked up to a full series.

Posted by: Zaphod65 | Feb 28, 2014 2:21:27 PM

2. Awsome!!!!

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 28, 2014 2:32:41 PM

3. If it's anywhere near Arrow's level of quality, it will be top notch.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 28, 2014 2:38:23 PM

4. Sorry. Grant Gustin is too much of a pretty boy to play the Flash. The photo went way overboard on "gritty" because otherwise it would be too obvious that he can't pull off the look the way John Wesley Shipp did back in the 90s.

Posted by: atomic | Feb 28, 2014 2:39:43 PM

5. oh boy. just what we need. more super hero movies.

Posted by: David | Feb 28, 2014 2:55:24 PM

6. That's ironic, Atomic. John Wesley Shipp was the ultimate pretty boy.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 28, 2014 2:58:11 PM

7. He may have been "pretty" but I don't think he was a *boy*. He had muscle, and a jawline. Gustin is like a weho twink.

Posted by: atomic | Feb 28, 2014 3:06:46 PM

8. I like a twink superhero. Flash doesn't have to be muscular, just nimble.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 28, 2014 3:30:56 PM

9. He did a good job on Arrow. Not the Barry Allen I would have cast, but certainly likable. It's all going to hinge on the writing and the special effects.
    They'll have a challenge making it work - someone who can move that fast shouldn't really have any problems dealing with anyone else who can't. Either he'll need to be limited in duration or have some other weakness. We'll certainly give it a chance.

Posted by: Lymis | Feb 28, 2014 3:45:08 PM

10. I think he's proven himself to be very talented, and not only is he great eye candy, but quite adorkable.

He's got a great voice, too... so here's for an evil villain musical episode with lots of singing like they did with Buffy! LOL.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 28, 2014 4:13:19 PM

11. I wish they had more of him on Arrow, it didn't seem enough of a storyline to warrant a spin-off.

Posted by: Owens | Feb 28, 2014 4:32:41 PM

12. He does looks very super heroic

Posted by: jarago | Feb 28, 2014 5:59:58 PM

13. I may have said this about others before, but I think he is destined for big things. He's a huge talent.

Posted by: Fahd | Feb 28, 2014 6:09:39 PM

14. Sick to death of super-heroes. Not so much fun now as a mass-mental-disorder for manchildren.

Posted by: Chuck | Feb 28, 2014 6:28:21 PM

15. Just so long as he can last at least 20 minutes!

Posted by: Dback | Feb 28, 2014 8:38:46 PM

16. Actually that might be hot, the musical episode of Arrow/Flash dual feature..... hm......Sing along with the bouncing arrow..John Barrowman is a great voice too.

At ComiCon one of the most highly attended session is the Buffy Musical Sing Along (think TSOM or RHPS)

Posted by: steven | Feb 28, 2014 8:38:59 PM

17. Thanks, Chuck! I love, love, love superheros. I can't wait for more. But it doesn't mean I'm a man-child and it doesn't mean I can't appreciate the finer things in life. Not everything needs to be Remains of the Day.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 28, 2014 10:44:43 PM

18. WeHo twinks... barf

Posted by: Jake | Mar 1, 2014 1:46:01 PM

19. Grant Gustin is a competent actor, he's got a great voice, and he's a great-looking guy. I think he'll make a great Flash. Those petty, insecure, middle-aged queens who are attacking him and trying to label him as a "twink" (an offensive term, really) are just jealous that they'll never get the chance to have a go at this tall, charming Canadian dreamboat! Just keeping it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 1, 2014 2:41:14 PM

20. So, folks saying if I love Arrow I should love Flash, but what if I can't stand Arrow?

I watched the first season, well part of the first season, and I really did not like it. Didn't like anyone on the show, and thought the show itself was a snorefest. And Flash is by the same people?

Posted by: Chris | Mar 2, 2014 12:01:56 AM