Football (American) | Michael Sam | News | NFL | Sports

Former Dallas Cowboy Greg Ellis Worried Michael Sam Might 'Pat Somebody on the Butt'

Former Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Ellis spoke with ESPN radio on Tuesday and had something ridiculous to say about Michael Sam joining the NFL.

EllisSaid Ellis:

"If he pats somebody on the butt — I hope ESPN don’t get mad and never have me back — but if he pats somebody on the butt, how is that to be received? If he does that how is that to be received? If he said, ‘Come on baby’? I called guys baby all the time on the football field, but when you have taken a stand and went and go public and say that, ‘I am gay,’ how is that going to be received? I’ve seen guys, I had guys on the Dallas Cowboys football team — I won’t mention names — who did not want you to pat them on their butt. So God forbid if you pat one of those guys on the butt it’s going to be a major problem.”

And not surprisingly, Ellis would have been worried Sam might check him out in the shower. Asked if having an openly gay player on the team would have made him uncomfortable, Ellis replied:

“I would. I would. People who’ve never been in an NFL shower room, not just locker room, it’s a open room. We don’t have private curtains. It’s just an open-form shower, so everybody sees each in the nude. Well if you’re looking at men as if you’re looking at women or vice versa, how are those guys to receive that? I don’t know. I don’t know how they will receive that. But I do know it would be a situation where I would go to the coach and try to work something out to say, ‘Obviously this is going to be a problem. What can we do? The kid can help us play, can help us win football games. We need him on the team. But this situation right here, we need to do something.’ ”

(transcript via Dallas Morning News)

Comments

1. He seems rather naive and charmingly antiquated. Please tell me coach...what are we gonna do!

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Feb 21, 2014 2:58:26 PM

2. I wouldn't be comfortable with a BLACK guy patting me on the butt. I wouldn't like it and wouldn't know how to take it. What if a BLACK guy was watching me shower? That would make me very uncomfortable and I don't think there are many guys who would like that.

See how that sounds? Just as wrong and stupid as what you are saying, idiot.

Guess what, genius? You've been showering with gay guys all of your life, you just didn't know it. Now go off and have some nice gay nightmares.

Posted by: johnny | Feb 21, 2014 2:59:08 PM

3. I hope this guy is a lot tougher on the field than in the locker room.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 21, 2014 3:00:54 PM

4. Well, JOHNNY, I understand the point you're trying to make, but are you being for real? You really wouldn't want a big black hand slappin' your booty? Tell the truth darlin'. What about a big Puerto Rican hand? SLAP!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 21, 2014 3:02:18 PM

5. Hmmm. Scroll back up to the photo next to this story. Now squint your eyes a bit, imagine that head with longer hair, a scruffy face, and no t-shirt. Oh honey, he's a homo all right, a Homo neanderthalensis. Remarks like the ones he made confirm it, too.

Posted by: garryo | Feb 21, 2014 3:03:01 PM

6. What a big baby.

Posted by: Joey | Feb 21, 2014 3:08:52 PM

7. Finally, someone tells the real truth! We are tired of hearing all the lies from players who really do have problems but would never say it openly. Sam WILL get drafted but never by certain teams. So his time in the NFL will probably be short. Teams that need all the attention that they can get need draft Sam. At least, he will bring the cameras.

Posted by: Ricahrd | Feb 21, 2014 3:10:36 PM

8. Get over it.

Posted by: Sean | Feb 21, 2014 3:23:43 PM

9. Yes, if you’re calling guys baby and patting them on the butt they will feel uncomfortable because you’re harassing them. Gays don’t harass, well not when we're outnumbered. If you're afraid of the gay guy then shower at home.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 21, 2014 3:23:45 PM

10. I note how frequently he uses the word "receive" when "accept" would be a common choice. Does this tell us something about his fantasies?

Posted by: gregorybrown | Feb 21, 2014 3:31:39 PM

11. Homophobia: The irrational fear that gay men will treat you the same way you treat women.

Posted by: Blair | Feb 21, 2014 3:39:18 PM

12. HOW is it possible that these guys just get dumber and dumber?

Posted by: Harry | Feb 21, 2014 3:40:21 PM

13. Y'all are just hatin' on him cuz he's black.

Posted by: DERRICK FROM PHILLY | Feb 21, 2014 3:40:46 PM

14. What a stupid jigaboo.

Posted by: Carmelo | Feb 21, 2014 3:43:45 PM

15. Some of these idiots are acting like he's never played on a team before. He was OUT to ALL his teammates his senior season at Mizzou. The team finished ranked fifth in the nation. He was co-defensive player of the year in the best conference in America. To me it doesn't sound like he was much of a distraction, possibly more of an inspiration.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 21, 2014 3:47:55 PM

16. @ "Y'all are just hatin' on him cuz he's black. "
    Posted by: DERRICK FROM PHILLY | Feb 21, 2014 3:40:46 PM

Rick, it doen't work if I've already posted during the day. Towleroad visitors can tell the difference between my alcoholic azz and your persciption drug medicated azz. You silly butch queen.

@ "What a stupid jigaboo."

Carmelo, I hope you're actually Rick. If not, then remember, darlin', there are slurs for you too.

I think it's Rick. What a silly old butch queen you are....probably with a flat azz. You deserve it.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 21, 2014 3:58:20 PM

17. I keep asking this question and have not heard a good answer: why do multimillionaires feel the need to shower with each other in the first place? I make a lot less than them and somehow the gym I go to has doors on its shower stalls. When designing workplaces for these very rich men, why do their very rich employers design open showers? What need does it serve to have these men unnecessarily naked together? Anyone care to explain?

Posted by: Wil | Feb 21, 2014 4:06:06 PM

18. Well, since he's a "former" player, why is he worried?

Posted by: Fox | Feb 21, 2014 4:14:20 PM

19. I think he's gonna get a lot of teasing for making such a ridiculous comment. The butt slaps are coming...

Posted by: woody | Feb 21, 2014 4:14:25 PM

20. Greg ,only someone on the DL would worry about a pat on the butt!

Posted by: Mark | Feb 21, 2014 4:20:56 PM

21. Has a sense of humour completely by-passed these oafs ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 21, 2014 4:29:01 PM

22. I remember guys having that conversation when we started dressing up for P.E. in middle school. My coach shouting, "Please don't touch the girl's butts" if anyone complained. Jeez, I hope these guys would have grown up by now.

Posted by: parkrunner | Feb 21, 2014 4:52:17 PM

23. Not surprising that this is coming from a former NFL no-name. He will never be remembered.

Posted by: reality | Feb 21, 2014 5:16:21 PM

24. For some (not particularly good) reason I keep flashing back to one of my all-time favorite movie scenes, namely the co-ed shower scene from "Starship Troopers". If the troopers can manage a co-ed shower, why can't these tough guys handle showering with gays?

I did read, however, that the actors agreed to do the scene only if the directors and camera crew got naked also.

Posted by: Joel | Feb 21, 2014 5:17:02 PM

25. I wouldn't be surprised if this same guy has no problem with female reporters coming into the locker room to do post-game interviews while members of the team are showering.

Posted by: Icarus | Feb 21, 2014 5:17:54 PM