Michael Sam | News | Paula Deen

Paula Deen: I'm 'Like That Black Football Player Who Recently Came Out'

Deen

Paula Deen, who lost her Food Network television show and a number of endorsements over revelations that she used the N-word on a regular basis, compared herself to Michael Sam this week in an interview with People magazine:

"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out," she tells People, referring to NFL prospect Michael Sam. "He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player. I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying."

Deen recently signed a $75 to $100 million business deal with an investment partner.

Comments

1. She is like that "bigot" who used to have a cooking show...She doesn't even understand she is saying racist things when she says them....

Posted by: Reacenyc | Feb 27, 2014 10:36:36 AM

2. This is a joke, right?

Posted by: Nat | Feb 27, 2014 10:36:41 AM

3. Why the need to even specify that "black" football player when there's only one football player who came out?

And obviously it's the same thing because being racist is an inborn train that is not learned. Oh wait...

Posted by: Not That Rob | Feb 27, 2014 10:38:17 AM

4. Wait. Paula Deen is a black "gay football player"? Her PR team must be in constant code red mode. Poor Paula.

Posted by: Brad Doles | Feb 27, 2014 10:40:19 AM

5. This is not offensive. It actually shows empathy.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 27, 2014 10:40:30 AM

6. This proves that Paula really is not intelligent enough to understand her situation or what the real world is like. I feel sorry for her; she doesn't intend to be unaware, it just comes naturally.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 27, 2014 10:43:37 AM

7. Paula needs to stay away from the words 'black' and 'gay'.
    I strongly believe that she was subjected to an epic witch-hunt, but these latest statements many not help her.
    Paula, no more talk about minorities - just cook!

Posted by: David From Canada | Feb 27, 2014 10:44:12 AM

8. @CRISPY ... Empathy is not the word I'd use. Perhaps "cluelessness" or maybe even "narcissism".

Posted by: RJ | Feb 27, 2014 10:47:05 AM

9. Did I miss something? I thought that in her recent troubles, she had admitted to using the "n-word" in 1986 after having been robbed. The post here says she used it "on a regular basis."

And let's be real - anyone who believed that a woman of her age from the deep South had never used the n-word was exceptionally naive. It doesn't make it right, but she was just being honest during her deposition and I believe that the case in which all of this came out was eventually dismissed.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 27, 2014 10:48:39 AM

10. Wait, so... the struggles and adversity that Michael Sam has experienced as person of color/gay man/gay man of color = the backlash she's endured from using racial slurs? Wow. She so. doesn't. get it.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Feb 27, 2014 10:49:40 AM

11. Paula...whenever you feel the need to utter the words "gay" or "black" just stick a stick of butter in your mouth. You won't regret it.

Posted by: Taylor | Feb 27, 2014 10:50:31 AM

12. She can't get out of her own way. SMH.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Feb 27, 2014 10:58:23 AM

13. I agree with what others here have said, she should not make any statements about race. It is too much like the person who farts in a room and then tries to convince everyone that her shoe made that noise.

Also, I could be wrong, but in that picture it looks like she lost some weight.

Posted by: Voet | Feb 27, 2014 11:01:34 AM

14. I believe she is correct.

Michael Sam doesn't want to be known as the gay black football player.

He simply wants to be known as the black football player.

Posted by: Buck | Feb 27, 2014 11:01:51 AM

15. She needs to learn to shut up.

Posted by: J. Alan | Feb 27, 2014 11:02:16 AM

16. No, honey, you are not.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 27, 2014 11:03:47 AM

17. Remember that time Paula Deen got hit in the face with the flying Smithfield ham? They should have thrown the whole goddamned hog at her. Maybe that would have knocked some sense into her. As my hero Bugs would say, "What a maroon!"

Posted by: dommyluc | Feb 27, 2014 11:05:11 AM

18. She is not very bright, well, she is not bright at all

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 27, 2014 11:05:21 AM

19. Oh Paula. (that's all)

Posted by: C.J. | Feb 27, 2014 11:05:45 AM

20. Can we get Queeny from American Horror Story to show her the error of her ways?

Posted by: Robert | Feb 27, 2014 11:06:00 AM

21. Can we get Queeny from American Horror Story to show her the error of her ways?

Posted by: Robert | Feb 27, 2014 11:06:01 AM

22. She's right though....And she can show empathy....give her a chance...

Posted by: styler | Feb 27, 2014 11:06:36 AM

23. "she should not make any statements about race. "

Uh, she didn't make a statement about race. She simply used "black" as an identifying characteristic.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 27, 2014 11:09:08 AM

24. Unlike all the sad trolls on here..

Posted by: styler | Feb 27, 2014 11:10:20 AM

25. I wonder if she was a man, all you gay men would be making excuses for her?? I can't remember the amount of times some-namely-black figure has said something positive about gay rights but because they have used the wrongs words, they were insulted.

If I remember correctly, Charles Barkley years ago before it was 'hip' was speaking for gay rights and Tlrd reported. Nearly 3/4 of the comments were insulting the words he used and did not even sound grateful. At all.

And this nasty, greedy, lying, unrepentant scumb bag comes out with this cr*p and you're all making excuses for her??????!!

'It's just the south'....woah.

England's imperialism I think pretty much trumps the US but d*mn if someone said something like 'oh, of course we say n*gger, it's just the way it is in our country'....

....!?

LMAO, I'm gonna go around shooting, offending and just being the nastiest person in the world. Of course I won't get away with it because I'm a black male but, sigh, if I was a white woman (or man), I could just laugh and proclaim 'Let me get away with it! I'm from the South!'

To be Southern!! No moral responsibility is required of you at all..awesome!

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 27, 2014 11:13:46 AM