Large Amounts of Drug Paraphernalia Found at Home of Philip Seymour Hoffman Following Actor’s Death

Police found 50 bags containing what is suspected of containing heroin, bottles of prescription pills, and more than 20 used syringes in Philip Seymour Hoffman's apartment following the actor's untimely death at 46, CNN reports:

HoffmanThe Oscar-winning actor was last seen alive at 8 p.m. Saturday, a law enforcement official said.

He was expected to get his children on Sunday, but didn't show up, the official said. Playwright David Katz and another person went to the apartment and found him dead, the official said. A needle was in the actor's left arm, and eight empty glassine-type bags that usually contain heroin were found in the apartment, law enforcement sources told CNN. The bags were stamped with "Ace of Hearts" and "Ace of Spades" — street names for heroin, the sources said.

Meanwhile, TMZ reports that one of the "operating theories" is related to a particularly deadly strain of the drug:

Authorities have been tracking a strain of heroin that has killed dozens of people on the East Coast — just last month.  The heroin is laced with fentanyl, an extremely potent drug prescribed for terminal cancer patients.  The strain is 100 times more powerful than morphine … it sometimes shuts down the respiratory system.

The drug — sometimes called "Theraflu," "Bud Ice" and "24K" — has been linked to 5 deaths on Long Island, 22 deaths in Pennsylvania and 19 on Rhode Island — all in January.

There is also allegedly a videotape of a drug deal.

Comments

1. SpaceCadet says

He will be missed…by millions.

Sadly some of our most brilliant and talented artists have mental/emotional issues that they struggle with and often lose.

2. JoshG says

And who will miss you, PeteS? A handful of people? Dozens? Maybe hundreds?

And how many will read your obituary and say “complete loser…won’t be missed”?

3. anon says

Fentanyl is a drug sometimes used in executions, but they’d have to do a tox test to confirm. At any rate, while we can blame the drugs, it’s possible that he had heart disease and/or diabetes because of his weight and past alcoholism, and died as a result of that, so a full autopsy is required to get to the bottom of this.

4. UFFDA says

This man made me really know that acting can be a great skill and a great gift. He was instantly outstanding, never more so than in the underrated film “Flawless”. But he never missed a beat in any of his films. He could chill me to the bone, or thrill me throughout and is as good an example as any that highly intelligent, truly awesome people can fall victim to the demon of drug abuse.

5. MFinBH says

Just last week, Al Jazeera America had a detailed report about the “theraflu” marked heroin in Pittsburgh. The emergency rooms in that city had 8X (!) the normal weekly admittances for heroin overdoses, and all of them were because of the fentanyl mix. At that point, law enforcement started trying to track down all the packets marked “theralu”, and discovered a second “brand” mark of tainted heroin (they found about a thousand such tainted packets).

It’s reasonable to assume that a substantial amount of the Pittsburgh heroin with fentanyl in it made it to NYC. It will be interesting to see if the coroner’s toxicology report finds that this is what Hoffman was sold.

Everything about this story is tragic, and heroin addicts are doing something very risky, this takes the risk to an exponentially worse level. If someone is intentionally tainting the supply, that is flat-out murder.

6. tinkerbelle says

Yeah PETES, f**k off.

PSH was one of the few actors (like Laura Linney) that I can watch in anything they do. This is a great loss and a very sad tale. I can’t forget relating to him when he stated in an interview that he had to quit drinking because it was never one glass but at least the whole bottle. Addictive personality. Obviously much more serious than could be imagined. Didn’t anybody know?

RIP.

7. Ryan says

I was so freaking sad about this. He was one of the best in his craft, without a doubt, and always delivered not only great performances, but interesting ones.

He’ll definitely be missed — I can’t believe someone could be so audacious as to say he won’t be. That’s despicable.

Drug addiction is such a terrible, incurable disease. To think he went all those years without relapse and then fell so quickly to this point… so tragic. We need to find better ways to help people with drug addictions.

8. EchtKultig says

I was literally sick to my stomach when I heard this. He certainly would have been at the top of my list of the greatest actors of our times. There are so many films that one simply cannot imagine without his presence.

BTW “Not having empathy” doesn’t help the problem of narcotics addition, Jay.

9. SAYTHETRUTH says

Beyond the cloud of sorrows the worst part is the dumb asses that glamorize the use of toxics with talent, as if one is condition for the other. All the litanies that were said for Winehouse didn’t discourage one single addict from their problems. Sometimes all what I read when this happen are condolences as if the person just died stricken by lighting. It is a huge human problem the industry seems conveniently silent at. I am not talking about seclusion or exclusion of the addicts, but hey, a little more attention to their real condition –a prerequisite to their huge contracts may be?-, the fact that this guy was in all his glory with projects in the go while miserably failing in his rehabilitation gives a hint of the difficulties that are kept silenced as long as they deliver.

10. Anon says

The fentanyl-tainted batches of heroin are nothing new. They were a huge problem in Chicago and a few other cities a few years back. The curiosity is that fentanyl is highly controlled and quite costly, more so than ingredients in typical heroin. Syndicates add it to batches that they want to stretch further and to establish a reputation for having the strongest, “purest” H. They fail to realize that people used to doing, say, half a bag at a time will OD if they do half a bag of the fentanyl-laced crap.

It happened to me several years ago, and I’d be dead now were it not for interventions by some knowledgeable friends who immediately injected me with Narcan (an antidote to overdose) when I stopped breathing and had turned people.

Anyone who thinks that addicts are simply idiots who choose desperate, dangerous lives despite being accomplished, intelligent people are apparently unfamiliar with the conflicting inclinations facing all people. Nearly every addict has faced tremendous challenges, and every addict I’ve met has struggled with depression. Granted, those problems afflict many people who aren’t addicts. But addicts don’t think or act like other people. Obviously.

11. Scott K says

I know there was an $8 million bust in Brooklyn this past weekend. I hope if it was these asswipes that sold these baggies of death, that they are held on over 40 counts of murder!

12. Jim says

Addiction is far from black and white. For example, many drug addicts start on prescription medication and it spirals out of control; and that is under a doctor’s supervision. When you use pain killers the effect doesn’t stay consistent. You have to constantly increase the dosage for the medicine to continue to work. I suffer daily in pain from a neck and shoulder injury from a car accident. I refused pain meds for 3 years before a doctor finally convinced me that I needed it. I thought, its only hydrocodeine… its only a small dose twice a day. Well, one weekend I didn’t have my meds filled and I didn’t sleep for days with withdrawal symptoms I wouldn’t wish on anyone. It made me insanely sick. I had NO idea I would suffer like that especially from what I was taking. My doctor never informed me the true danger of the medicine. When I called the following Monday in hysterics they offered me a refill to stop the withdrawal symptoms. Not only did I not refill but I stopped going to that doctor. It was months before I felt semi normal again. It was hell getting over my doctor supervised prescription. I still have problems sleeping. I thought only people on Oxy taking 20+ pills/day suffered from addiction and withdrawals like that. See? It can start so easily. I can’t imagine how difficult it is to beat an addiction that is so bad you are injecting it into your veins for a quicker/stronger high.

13. Gay Panic! At The Disco says

Whether famous or not, it’s always sad to see someone succumb to addiction and pay the ultimate price for it. Based on the sheer amount of drug and paraphernalia, it doesn’t sound like he had long for this world, regardless of any fentanyl mixed in. The toxicology report should be enlightening. Mostly I’m sad for his kids; do what you want as an adult as long as it doesn’t hurt other people, but if you’re a caregiver and an influence, learn some goddamn responsibility.