Arsenio Hall | Deion Sanders | Football (American) | Michael Sam | Sports

Deion Sanders: 'Every Team I Played on There Was Someone Gay in the Locker Room' — VIDEO

Sanders

Former NFL player Deion Sanders appeared on The Arsenio Hall Show and told Arsenio that there has been at least one gay person on every (five) team he's played on, and that he feels his job is not to judge homosexuality but accept it.

Arsenio opened the conversation by asking about Michael Sam.

Said Sanders:

"I don't nor do I condemn, but I've had a friend, family members... Everyone out there, you've had someone of homosexuality in your family — and someone whose on drugs and alcohol. How can I judge them? It's up to me to give him love, to give him support, to just be there for him. So I don't condone nor I condemn. But I'm gonna love him. Everybody in the NFL is always talking about football as a family but when you have the opportunity to really extend and show them that you're a family member, this is the opportunity."

He added:

"He's not the first gay guy in the NFL! He's the first one to come out, let's get that straight. Every team I've played on, there was someone...we always knew. But he was cool. That was our boy. We had to look out for him. Every team I've played on - five different teams - there was someone gay in the locker room."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. brilliant, wow.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 28, 2014 9:24:42 AM

2. Wow, very nice!

Posted by: Joey Y | Feb 28, 2014 9:33:16 AM

3. I'm not sure I like being lumped in with drug addicts and alcoholics, but I do appreciate the sentiment.

Posted by: Rich in DC | Feb 28, 2014 9:33:34 AM

4. 53 guys on the roster. It would be a little surprising if at least one of them wasn't gay.

Posted by: Jason Macbride | Feb 28, 2014 9:35:07 AM

5. What's with the comments here? This is not a positive statement -- it's a backhanded compliment. Sanders equates being gay with being an alcoholic or a drug addict. Not acceptable. The key line is "So I don't condone nor I condemn."

Sanders can keep his bigoted opinions to himself, regardless of whether he thinks those opinions should dictate policy in the locker room. That these comments and the post itself are suggesting he's somehow a supporter or ally of our community based on what he said...is ridiculous.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Feb 28, 2014 9:39:39 AM

6. He just compared being to having a drug problem.

Posted by: Tigernan | Feb 28, 2014 9:40:41 AM

7. Just compared being gay, that is. Yes, I don't see this as support at all: it's just another form of hate the sin and love the sinner, only it's neither condone nor condemn, whatever that means. So....you just shrug at human rights? Ugh.

Posted by: Tigernan | Feb 28, 2014 9:41:39 AM

8. Um, sorry Deion, but stirring gay into a lumpy mix that includes drug and alcohol addiction confuses and distorts a lot of issues. Glad you're cool -- more or less -- with the gay part but hope you'll give further thought to the differences among being gay and having drug and alcohol addictions, ADHD, or whatever.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Feb 28, 2014 9:43:06 AM

9. I was thinking in terms of how the NFL will include/accept all types of behavior from players (positive or negative)these days with lone exception of the homosexual, that is just NOT acceptable. He also mentions love and the fact that he looked out for gays in the past. I don't think he was grouping us with druggies, just comparing two groups that ARE looked down upon.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 28, 2014 9:53:18 AM

10. that's a good-natured statement, drugs and alcohol, aside.
    he may just be lumping us together as just another thing people frown upon, and he obviously doesn't.
    good for you deion.
    deion still looks great.

Posted by: woody | Feb 28, 2014 9:55:12 AM

11. The guy is obviously supportive.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Feb 28, 2014 9:57:32 AM

12. Why fixate on an unfortunate comparison, when his message is clearly supportive and positive?

Posted by: Chris K | Feb 28, 2014 10:02:50 AM

13. I'd call him a non-suporter humanist. Basically, he doesn't really support gay rights (and I'd be interested to know what he does on the ballot box for marriage equality), but he's also a humanist and clearly doesn't believe in bigotry. I suspect he supports the right of any person to be included, in football or at any workplace, and more fundamentally to be shown compassion and love. He sounds fairly evangelical, so for him to be saying this is somewhat a big deal. Still sounds like he believes that it's some sort of choice or option that you don't have to make, but he's fine if people do.

I definitely wouldn't call him a supporter, but i would say that he is a person that a lot of others who are bigots should model themselves after. He's certainty on the road to being a supporter.

And yes, the druggie comments are eye rolling and just frustrating, and show a limited view of what homosexuality is.

Posted by: GJP | Feb 28, 2014 10:04:19 AM

14. Because he's still making the same comparisons to us that people have ALWAYS been making - we're sick, it's a problem, etc. That it can be cured. If you don't see that, and are soooooo fixated on the famous guy who said he had seen us around (what?) and want to think that that's a positive message - remember, all he said was that they were aware and they tolerated them - then I don't know what to tell you. Anyone who lumps their support of me in with drug addicts and other social problems is not actually supporting me. And gays that eat this up are Uncle Toms - and I am really sick of them at this point. Oooh, someone famous looked at us! Now we're free! Sad.

Posted by: Tigernan | Feb 28, 2014 10:05:01 AM

15. So being gay is like being on drugs and/or an alcoholic? Stupid and woefully bigoted way to put it. All his words seem to tacitly further the stigma of homosexuality. People are so moronic.

Posted by: glape | Feb 28, 2014 10:10:07 AM

16. So being gay is like being on drugs and/or an alcoholic? Stupid and woefully bigoted way to put it. All his words seem to tacitly further the stigma of homosexuality. People are so moronic.

Posted by: glape | Feb 28, 2014 10:10:07 AM

17. These kind of posts always reveal that there are just 2 types of gays. You're either a sad, miserable lout who can't appreciate support when it's there because you get too hung up on being offended all the time. Or you're a well-adjusted, happy optimist who embraces support and knows that remaining issues can be resolved with outreach and dialogue.

There's never any gray area.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 28, 2014 10:15:00 AM

18. For someone of his recognition and influence I understand the support he's conveying.As time goes by and more statements are made,they will shape themselves into focused supportive statements without any comparisons.That is:
    I believe Michael Sam is a great person who should be afforded the opportunity to play NFL football just like any other qualified individual.

Posted by: gb | Feb 28, 2014 10:17:57 AM

19. I knew the reference to alcohol and drugs would a problem for many of you. It is for me. But for a macho football player turned fundamentalist Christian to say, accept your homosexual family member, friends, team mates...well, it's surprisingly positive.

And to those of you who find his message insulting and negative--who do you think his message is geared to? Maybe church folks?

What Gay community within Gay America do you think his message COULD help? Perhaps those who are exposed to the most danger in the most dangerous neighborhoods in this country. But this blog has taught me that there are some of you who couldn't... care... less.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 28, 2014 10:31:09 AM

20. Some of my best black friends are drug addicts and alcoholics.

Hmm, doesn't sound so great that way, does it?

Posted by: Scott | Feb 28, 2014 10:34:53 AM

21. @ "Some of my best black friends are drug addicts and alcoholics."

You lying. You have no Black friends. And we AINT missin' nothin'.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 28, 2014 10:45:40 AM

22. ah, another one of those lovely people of good conscience that Martin Luther King wrote so glowingly about in his Letter from Birmingham Jail.

they don't have to do anything so long as they feel compassion.

Posted by: verbocityeric | Feb 28, 2014 10:49:02 AM

23. Mike8787: NO, he didn't equated being gay with being on drugs or alcohol, he simply said that it's as common as having someone in your family or near circle who is on drugs or alcohol

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 28, 2014 11:06:21 AM

24. We need love just like alcoholics drug addicts. WTF?!?!

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 28, 2014 11:08:45 AM

25. Do NOT feel good about being grouped in with druggies and alcoholics! He can stuff it!

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 28, 2014 11:11:32 AM