Bryan Cranston | Film | Film and TV | News | Video

The New Trailer For 'Godzilla' Revels In Drama, Destruction: VIDEO

Godzilla

This summer's impending blockbuster onslaught just received a shot of dramatic heft thanks to the new trailer for "Godzilla," starring Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor Johnson, and one big, mean, reptilian terror.

The exciting and tense new tease indicates that we may have not only a big budget action flick on our hands, but also a movie with genuine human emotion. Tears and fears seem only natural given the serious state of destruction Godzilla has left in his wake.

Post-apocalyptic Las Vegas and San Francisco (below) look mighty dreary, but we could not be more excited.

Check out the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

"Godzilla" will arrive in theaters May 16th.

Godzilla

Comments

1. Some of the CGI looks the exact same as the 1998 version, a.k.a. crap.

That being said, Aaron Taylor Johnson is hot as heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 26, 2014 11:11:55 AM

2. They stole that Ligeti music from the 2001: A Space Odyssey soundtrack. I can't hear it without thinking of that movie.

Can't believe Bryan Cranston is in this film. Trailer looks lousy.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 26, 2014 11:14:36 AM

3. Godzirraaaaa!

Seriously, though. Pacific Rim was amazing. I hope this goes one better!

Posted by: tristram | Feb 26, 2014 11:18:09 AM

4. I had the same response to the Ligeti. I'm sure they stole it because the real score hasn't been finished yet. Standard practice with trailers.

Posted by: Steve T. | Feb 26, 2014 11:35:16 AM

5. I love sci-fi popcorn movies. This looks great.

Posted by: Continuum | Feb 26, 2014 11:43:57 AM

6. What's the gay angle??...Why is this crap here??...

Posted by: styler | Feb 26, 2014 11:44:37 AM

7. Calm down, Styler. You're insufferable.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 26, 2014 11:58:50 AM

8. @STYLER The gay angle is that Godzilla is a she/he and can asexually reproduce (aka parthenogenesis, the next phase in gay evolution). Instead of all that nasty, messy, surrogate stuff, we'll just go ahead and reproduce by ourselves.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 26, 2014 11:59:36 AM

9. I'm in.

Posted by: Howard B | Feb 26, 2014 12:03:09 PM

10. Godzilla is ginormous. Is that from radiation?

Posted by: BOOM! | Feb 26, 2014 12:13:20 PM

11. I am so utterly and completely IN.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 26, 2014 12:24:05 PM

12. Several trailers have used music from 2001, because it's so eerie. But it's also, imo, too famous to use without invoking a reference in the mind to that film. Those pieces, the Ligeti included, were not written for 2001, but are nonetheless so entwined with it in popular culture, imo.

Trailers rarely use the actual score from the film being previewed, but they also avoid using music from Jaws or Star Wars or the like, because it will take you out of that trailer and into Jaws or Star Wars. This one took me out to 2001, but I still admired the use of the really creepy piece.

Oh, and I'm disappointed it showed New York post-attack. I had thought the San Francisco setting shown in the last teaser meant at least this Godzilla didn't have to trek across the Pacific, and across Panama and up the Atlantic to implausibly attack NYC. Oh well.

I'm one of the 7 people who actually liked that last Godzilla movie, and this one looks like a ton of fun, too. I'm totally in.

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 26, 2014 12:29:11 PM

13. Gojira!

I love this kind of brainless popcorn movie so I'm in, dependent of course on reviews. Now I just have to figure out how to convince my BF to see it with me since he likes more... serious (read: deadly dull) fare. Do you think he'd buy that it's Dame Judy Dench inside that Godzilla suit?

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 26, 2014 12:31:04 PM

14. Excellent!!

Posted by: jeo | Feb 26, 2014 1:18:59 PM

15. Still trying to make their big frog scary, huh?

Posted by: Randy | Feb 26, 2014 1:31:48 PM

16. Zlick, that's not New York -- it's the New York-New York Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. Check out the roller coaster behind the Statue of Liberty. The trailer doesn't make that clear, though, so it's easy to mistake it for NYC.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Feb 26, 2014 2:52:08 PM

17. Yawn...Try picking up a book once and a while folks.

Posted by: dearcomrade | Feb 26, 2014 3:19:44 PM

18. Really!? Another one? Which one is this, 5000000.0? But the worst thing is .... I'm probably going to watch it.

Posted by: NM30SV | Feb 26, 2014 3:51:33 PM

19. Sign me the freak UP! No 3D. Just give me loud sound, some popcorn, and let the mayhem begin! :)

Posted by: cameoutinthe80s | Feb 26, 2014 5:14:39 PM

20. A reptile dysfunction.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Feb 26, 2014 5:23:39 PM

21. Looks FUN!!! Can't wait to see it on the giant IMAX in 3-D!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Feb 26, 2014 5:54:59 PM

22. It's "Hal" from "Malcolm in the Middle". I'll watch him in anything.

Posted by: Marty | Feb 26, 2014 7:41:09 PM

23. @Steve T. @Jack M : Stealing it from the film 2001 is only fair - the people who made that movie never got Ligeti's permission to use his music in that film (and as I recall they were lax about paying him initially). Hope they paid Ligeti's heirs though.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Gyorgy-Ligeti-music-scores-used-in-2001-film-2533294.php has an article noting the lack of permission. The comments about not getting paid are based on my memory of a pre-opera lecture or program notes for a performance of Le Grand Macabre. Eventually he did get some payments, however, and was paid fairly when his music was used in other films.

According to http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/goingson/2008/03/clarke-kubrick.html "When Ligeti attended the Vienna premiere of the film and realized that the music had been used without his permission, he was understandably shocked. (He eventually received a modest payment from MGM, and substantial royalty payments.) But by acknowledging Ligeti’s work in the final credits, Kubrick made the composer world-famous. When the director later used Ligeti’s music in “The Shining” and in “Eyes Wide Shut,” he sought permission from Ligeti and paid the composer well."

According to http://books.google.com/books?id=iaN4IPj9C20C&pg=PT148&lpg=PT148&dq=Ligeti+2001+film+royalties&source=bl&ots=EdPNypXJDf&sig=Omm-d7md_gp55_IhXTJj1E5wLMs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HpAOU_qxHoGDogSajILQCQ&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Ligeti%202001%20film%20royalties&f=false Ligite got $3500 after a six year battle with MGM. He got letters from MGM saying he should be happy with such a pittance because he was now famous in America. One U.S. lawyer told him that everyone (i.e., Hollywood lawyers) thought he was stupid to engage a German instead of a Hollywood attorney.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 26, 2014 8:20:40 PM