Football (American) | Jonathan Vilma | News | NFL

BigGayDeal.com

Jonathan Vilma Clarifies His Concerns About Gays Looking at Him in the Locker Room: VIDEO

Vilma

Last week, New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma gave an interview to NFL Networks' Andrea Kramer in which he expressed concern about openly gay players looking at him in the shower.

Said Vilma:

"I think he would not be accepted as much as we think he would be accepted. I don't want people to just naturally assume, oh, we're all homophobic. That's really not the case. Imagine if he's the guy next to me, and you know, I get dressed, naked, taking a shower, the whole nine, and it just so happens he looks at me, how am I supposed to respond?"

Vilma appeared on CNN's AC360 last night to clarify his remarks:

"It was a poor illustration of the example I was trying to give on the context, so I do apologize for that...I was trying to explain that whenever you have change into something that's been set in stone for so long, something that's been going for so long, that change always comes with a little resistance."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

One thing that folks haven't noted is that it's not the first time Vilma has made questionable comments. In 2011 he tweeted this impromptu remark, explaining manliness:

"Grown men should NOT hav female tendencies. Period."

Tweet_vilma

Comments

Don't get a boner?

Posted by: Jesus | Feb 11, 2014 11:44:40 AM

2. Mr. Villman you have nothing to worry about. Your straight counterparts have done just as much if not more viewing of you already!

Posted by: Tom | Feb 11, 2014 11:47:32 AM

3. "the whole nine"?

Posted by: Joe | Feb 11, 2014 11:50:56 AM

4. "the whole nine"?

Posted by: Joe | Feb 11, 2014 11:50:57 AM

5. Ignoramous!

Posted by: mike | Feb 11, 2014 11:52:09 AM

6. Isn't he straight? Straighties love feminity!

Posted by: litper | Feb 11, 2014 11:53:06 AM

7. @Joe the whole nine inches

Posted by: litper | Feb 11, 2014 11:53:37 AM

8. "it just so happens he looks at me, how am I supposed to respond?"

He's wondering the same thing when you check him out.

Posted by: JJ | Feb 11, 2014 11:58:44 AM

9. It's really amazing how quickly these sports agents are able to get their players on national tv with a scripted rebuttal or "clarification". Do they have entire departments at these agencies that handle this sort of stuff for these numb-nuts?

Posted by: James in Albany | Feb 11, 2014 12:00:02 PM

10. Who wouldn't stare at a nine inch penis?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 11, 2014 12:14:36 PM

11. "Imagine if he's the guy next to me, and you know, I get dressed, naked, taking a shower, the whole nine, and it just so happens he looks at me, how am I supposed to respond?"

Like you'd respond if any other person looked at you. It should feel so inconsequential you'd probably not notice it. Everyone has eyes and can't help but see in front of them, that's about all there is to "looking at people" in the locker room, gay or straight or something in between.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 11, 2014 12:15:00 PM

12. Mr. Vilma, despite his actual age, exhibits juvenile tendencies in the area of sexual knowledge. He apparently isn't quite sure of his own sexuality except to think that he's "God's gift to any gays" who happen to be next to him in the shower when his peepee is exposed.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Feb 11, 2014 12:15:13 PM

13. you would think that by now, these guys would have figured out it's not a good idea to express any form of homophobia or even being uncomfortable with "teh gay" even if that's what you really believe.

Fer gawd's sake, racists have figured out a way to stop making racist comments in public.

Posted by: anon | Feb 11, 2014 12:15:26 PM

14. As always the 'clarification' is as bigoted as the original idiocy.

what do you do in the shower when a gay guy looks at you ?
    Shower on, dude !
    You are a fool, Vilma, when you open your dumb mouth you confirm that truth.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 11, 2014 12:16:46 PM

15. The whole nine probably refers to his IQ.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 11, 2014 12:17:43 PM

16. Jonathan, I think the way you are to respond to a gay teammate looking at you in the shower is to shrivel up like a delicate flower and roll yourself into a ball and fade away.

Are you really so delicate and fragile, Jonathan, that a glance by a gay teammate is a threat to you? If so, you need help.

Posted by: john patrick | Feb 11, 2014 12:18:28 PM

17. Are you kidding me? Is this guy's iq 5?

Posted by: Will | Feb 11, 2014 12:18:30 PM

18. When you have to clarify what you said, and do so by saying you didn't mean what you said at all, that probably means that you really don't want people to think you are quite the dipshit you really are. I suppose that's progress but Vilma is not exactly a profile in courage.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 11, 2014 12:21:01 PM

19. The most interesting part of this discussion for me is two-fold:

1. We now live in a world where a gay football player can come out & there are actually lots of positive reactions.

2. A player like Vilma has to walk back his seemingly homophobic comments and acknowledge the fact that Michael Sam is a good player who just happens to be gay.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 11, 2014 12:22:11 PM

20. Many straight guys really think gays think they are hot and will try to hit them. I guess he thinks the same. It begins with the thought, I am so good looking every gay guy must check me out. Most of these guys won't gat any attention from gay guys. He's one of them.

Posted by: Matt27 | Feb 11, 2014 12:24:18 PM

21. When I hear comments like this, I hear, "If I were gay myself, which I'm not, I'd look at every penis I could, I'd get so excited being around those other naked men, I'd be like a kid in a candy store, if I were gay myself, which I'm not. I'm really not. But, that's what I'd do if I WERE go. Oh, yeah."

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 11, 2014 12:25:43 PM

22. Do we really have to give credence to every single [......]insert the N-word who vomits some unintelligent vomit?

Posted by: BRAINS | Feb 11, 2014 12:28:20 PM

23. keep talking...please...the more you pile on, the more we know how ignorant and intolerant you really are.

how 'bout a shovel to help with that hole you're digging for yourself?

Posted by: northalabama | Feb 11, 2014 12:37:43 PM

24. Can the moderators please delete Brains's extremely racist comment? There is no excuse for using racial slurs.

Posted by: Tyler | Feb 11, 2014 12:53:28 PM

25. I second what Tyler just requested.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Feb 11, 2014 12:56:52 PM