Game of Thrones | I'm Gay | Kristian Nairn | News | Television

'Game of Thrones' Actor Kristian Nairn Comes Out: 'The Gay Community' is 'MY Community'

Nairn

Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor on Game of Thrones, came out of the closet publicly in an interview at Winter is Coming.

Nairn was asked about his big following in the gay community, specifically the Bear community.

Said Nairn:

Well, in all honesty, when you talk about “the gay community,” you are talking about MY community, haha. I AM aware of it yeah, and I think it’s really lovely. There’s not a day that I don’t get a few messages, but 99% or more are super sweet and nothing smutty at all! Again, it’s a privilege, and I really mean that. I’ve never hidden my sexuality from anyone, my whole life in fact, and I’ve been waiting for someone to ask about it in an interview, cos it’s not something you just blurt out. I’ve tried to lead the questions a few times, to no avail!

Comments

1. For those of you into him, he has a fully frontal nude scene in the first season of GoT.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 11, 2014 5:32:30 PM

2. No one thinks of fat people sexually, so they rarely think whether a fat person is gay or straight.

Posted by: enchantra | Mar 11, 2014 5:43:39 PM

3. "he has a fully frontal nude scene in the first season of GoT."

It was a prosthetic.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 11, 2014 6:52:12 PM

4. Nobody thinks of Enchantra (or her real self, Rick) sexually. It is this loneliness and sexual frustration that has led this person to become such an irritating troll. Pathetic and sad.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 11, 2014 9:14:08 PM

5. What is this Game of Thrones that the kids talk about? Is it like Dungeons and Dragons? Or is this a show on cable TV?

Posted by: bravo | Mar 11, 2014 10:40:56 PM

6. Comes out?
    Please re-title to respect this man and the history of his life that includes his sexuality.
    He did not "come out", as he points out, he was never in.
    This is a man, an actor, who is gay, and has never claimed to be anything other than these things.
    This should be what our "new norm" is - no need to come out, as there is no need to be "in".
    Thank you to those that have paved the way, and are still doing so, to this new reality. Kristian, thank you, and let's all support all individuals in differing, unique, dangerous, and more challenging situations.
    Proud to be us.

Posted by: Bradley | Mar 12, 2014 3:33:25 AM

7. I find the whole concept of "coming out" fascinating as well. It is a coming out in that the public was up to this point unaware that he was gay but from the actor's standpoint he was never in the closet to begin with so no need to make an announcement especially when no one was really asking. But maybe the larger question is why do we as a society make the blanket assumption that we are straight until we make a declaration that we are otherwise? If our sexuality is fluid and there is the equal possibility of being gay as we would be gay, there would be no need to "come out" as one way or the other. Ideally, it shouldn't even be noteworthy.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 12, 2014 5:20:05 AM

8. I meant equal possibility of being gay as we would be straight.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 12, 2014 5:21:13 AM

9. Oh TIM, shut up. How often has he been interviewed? How often has he had the opportunity to come out publicly? And whether he "came out" or just talked publicly about it what's the difference?

Posted by: Daniel | Mar 12, 2014 11:22:11 AM

10. Vote for Game of Thrones Season 3 in the final round of Esquire’s “TV Seasons Championship.”

VOTE: http://itsh.bo/1gm1SrC