Drag Queens | Ellen DeGeneres | Liza Minnelli | News

Liza Minnelli Reveals What She Really Thought of Ellen's Drag Queen Joke at the Oscars: VIDEO

Post_liza

TMZ caught up with Liza Minnelli as she arrived to a restaurant last night and asked her how she felt about Ellen DeGeneres's joke that she was a drag queen.

Said Liza:

"I think she thought it would be funny but she never stopped after she said it and said, 'my friend Liza Minnelli'. So I think it went a bit astray on her. I don't think she meant any harm at all and she's a wonderful lady."

Liza also reveals whether she was disappointed not to get in the group selfie and whether or not she had any pizza.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. nice to see she and estranged sister Lorna together, 66, they should make up. Makeup.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Mar 4, 2014 10:48:50 AM

2. I love Liza and her delusions.

Ellen is not her friend.

I think Liza deserves a nice little drink.

She might shing a shong for Momma afterwardsh.

Posted by: MaryM | Mar 4, 2014 10:57:08 AM

3. Bitches are just so mean.

Posted by: booka | Mar 4, 2014 11:04:22 AM

4. That woman is fabulous. "I"m on a diet."

Before anyone makes a snide remark about her difficulty in getting onto the curb, she has had both hips replaced. It's great that she can walk around at all.

Posted by: CC | Mar 4, 2014 11:32:33 AM

5. Liza is always so gracious.

Posted by: Max | Mar 4, 2014 11:36:48 AM

6. Liza is much loved. She has already sold-out two shows in Provincetown for August 4th. (Tickets were $185 to $350)

Posted by: mike | Mar 4, 2014 11:46:12 AM

7. Her shows in Palm Springs sold out too. Big surprise there. I love her, and I know that she secretly wants to kill Ellen, but she was very gracious about it, as is fitting a legend.

Posted by: jeff | Mar 4, 2014 11:57:20 AM

8. She was with Michael Feinstein & his husband, Terrence.

Posted by: Shane | Mar 4, 2014 12:04:21 PM

9. actually - ellen said "female impersonator"... there is a distinction...

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 4, 2014 12:14:01 PM

10. she's a class act.

i don't believe she & lorna have ever been estranged.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 4, 2014 12:28:11 PM

11. Ellen has flat jokes. Don't like her. Ellen has also used her show to promote homophobes.

Posted by: roger | Mar 4, 2014 12:28:25 PM

12. Love her classy response.

Posted by: HÃ¥kon | Mar 4, 2014 12:40:54 PM

13. I think Ellen meant well and I found the joke funny but I can understand how Liza would be upset. Women are often self-conscious about their looks, and that's often magnified in the entertainment industry. It can hurt one's feelings to be compared to a drag queen when you just want to be an attractive woman. I got to see Liza live in person on one of Oprah's last shows. Her singing isn't my cup of tea and I know she is from another era when she was a superstar but I still respect her legendary career and status.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 4, 2014 12:57:46 PM

14. Class act!

Posted by: reality | Mar 4, 2014 1:08:17 PM

15. She showed Ellen what a class act is...Ellen should take notes...

Posted by: styler | Mar 4, 2014 1:28:19 PM

16. Well played, Miss Minelli.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Mar 4, 2014 1:50:20 PM

17. I've never met Liza but I've seen her interacting with other people close up, and both times she was never less than gracious and kind. She genuinely seems to embody the philosophy that there are no strangers, just friends you haven't met yet. Hope the Kennedy Center honors her soon.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 4, 2014 5:32:52 PM

18. Now that is a STAR and a true gay diva- VIVA LIZA

Posted by: jarago | Mar 4, 2014 6:22:17 PM

19. Isn't she just wonderful?

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 4, 2014 6:47:33 PM

20. She was definitely not amused by the joke, and rightly so, but at this point probably figures bygones. The producers treated Lorna, Joey and she very shabbily anyway. They made such a big thing about them being there and then had them just stand up in the audience? They should have been doing the intro not Whoopi. And for the people making fun of Liza's speech impediment, it's uncorrectable, she's had it ever since her bout with encephalitis.

Posted by: joel | Mar 4, 2014 7:01:35 PM

21. I found the sexist and ageist comments directed at Liza and Kim Novak tacky and disrespectful. Instead of making sure these stars were protected and treated with dignity they were invited and then left to the Hollywood wolves. I hope any star over the age of 50 was watching and paying close attention.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 4, 2014 7:35:35 PM

22. To Mark & Joel
    The two posts above me
    Both right on

Ellen was rude and not Funny

Posted by: Deen | Mar 4, 2014 10:02:01 PM

23. I found the sexist and ageist comments directed at Liza and Kim Novak tacky and disrespectful. Instead of making sure these stars were protected and treated with dignity they were invited and then left to the Hollywood wolves. I hope any star over the age of 50 was watching and paying close attention.

POSTED BY: MARK | MAR 4, 2014 7:35:35 PM

I agree. It was terrible. They both deserved better.

Posted by: Zeta | Mar 5, 2014 2:29:30 AM