I'm Gay | Music | Neon Trees | News | Tyler Glenn

Neon Trees Lead Singer Tyler Glenn Comes Out: 'I Am a Happy and Healthy Mormon Gay Pop Star'

Glenn

Neon Trees lead singer Tyler Glenn comes out as gay in the new issue of Rolling Stone:

Glenn says he's known he was gay since he was a young child, but kept his sexuality a secret — until now. "I had my crushes on guys throughout high school, but it was never an overwhelming thing until my twenties," he admits. "Then I'd be dating girls and in love with my straight friend and it was the worst feeling in the world." (Read the full feature on RollingStone.com tomorrow, March 25th).

"We were always taught, and I hate this word, 'tolerance,'" he says, regarding his church's stance on homosexuality, which is notoriously fraught. "The only time that felt different was when the Prop 8 thing came up," he says, referring to when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spent an estimated $22 million fighting same-sex marriage in California in 2008.

Tweeted Glenn this afternoon:

"Yes. I am a happy and healthy Mormon gay pop star. I don't know what it all means, but I'm ok with it. "

Comments

1. The best gay Mormons are gay ex-Mormons. What's the point of staying with a hoax-based belief system that says you've got no chance of attaining the tippy-top Mormon afterlife and opposes your equal rights and freedom to make love to those you love while you're alive?
    I do understand that for some, Mormonism is so insular that life outside the church is hard to imagine, but honestly, leaving that ridiculous business empire disguised as a church is the best thing any self-respecting gay or lesbian person can do.

Posted by: Magic Human | Mar 24, 2014 2:59:30 PM

2. Women tend to fear male homosexuality. It wil harm his career.

Posted by: sam | Mar 24, 2014 2:59:41 PM

3. Well, there's a woman in his band. She's the drummer.

Jason, do you ever tire of being wrong? I know the rest of us around here are tired of you.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 24, 2014 3:05:33 PM

4. the only good mormons are ex-mormons. and he'll figure that out, eventually.

cheers to him making those steps.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 24, 2014 3:08:17 PM

5. Oh come one, there are a lot of mormon pop and rock bands, and frankly none of them give me the same vibe that their church leaders.

I refuse to believe that Mormons are that different from catholics.
    Here in Spain catholic hierarchy is very antigay, but the truth is catholics are a 70% in support of gay marriage

Posted by: jjose712 | Mar 24, 2014 3:11:33 PM

6. cool!

Posted by: reality | Mar 24, 2014 3:11:49 PM

7. Good for him!

Posted by: Matt27 | Mar 24, 2014 3:16:15 PM

8. He should talk to Brandon Flowers, the lead singer of The Killers. Flowers is a Mormon but has always been gay-friendly. It's so easy for us to judge gay people who stay in their restrictive religion. I was raised Catholic & I don't practice it anymore. However, as I got older, I've learned to appreciate the positive aspects of Catholicism rather than its negatives (too many to count). I do have gay friends who are still practicing Catholics & I can't judge them. Most of them are actually happy & not self-loathing. At the end of the day, I think progress is easier to make inside than outside.

Posted by: Scar2 | Mar 24, 2014 3:24:16 PM

9. Neon Trees opened for The Killers on one of their tours... so he probably has talked to Brandon Flowers.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 24, 2014 3:51:52 PM

10. This is the first I've heard of this band (wiki says they started up in late 2008 and have opened for the Killers and Panic! At the Disco). It is probably too early for Tyler to address himself as a "pop star". A niggling point, but you really should become a "star" first.

Posted by: will | Mar 24, 2014 3:52:17 PM

11. Gay mormons mystify me. Do they seriously think that Heavenly Father will give them a whole planet to rule in the afterlife? Sure, an asteroid, or maybe a small moon for real power tithers, but a whole planet? For a gay guy??? That's ridiculous! A neutron star might be cool, though.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 24, 2014 3:55:00 PM

12. "Yes. I am a happy and healthy Mormon gay pop star."

Great, tell that to Mitt Romney!

Posted by: Mittens | Mar 24, 2014 3:58:11 PM

13. @Will Maybe it depends on where you live because they're pretty well known here and their song "Everybody Talks" got lots of play out in this area (Chicago). They also have a new song out now that's just getting play on pop radio now called "Sleeping With a Friend."

Posted by: m.r. | Mar 24, 2014 4:01:06 PM

14. "Flowers is a Mormon but has always been gay-friendly."

Nope, sorry, doesn't work. Just as you can't be a "black friendly member of the KKK".

I'm glad this guy is out because it was obvious that he was gay, and he was someone else Mormons could cling to as "look, he might _seem_ gay, but thanks to magic underwear he's straight!" or whatever ridiculous thing they believed. Some of the most aggressive and freaky closet cases I've ever encountered have been Mormon.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Mar 24, 2014 4:13:36 PM

15. Uh, has anyone dug up all of the times this guy has denied this in the past? He even joked about it in a song: "I'm sick of being called a fag just because I'm queer." Any time he explained it, he said it was tongue-in-cheek and he was straight! Didn't buy it then.

Posted by: Robert | Mar 24, 2014 4:18:45 PM

16. From wikipedia:

Glenn had stated that misperceptions about his sexuality prompted the song "Teenage Sounds" from the Picture Show album; the song contains the lyric "I'm sick of being called a fag because I'm queer." In an interview, Glenn explained what he meant by that lyric: "I thought of the line not in a sexual way but in fact that I’ve been called a fag since I was probably 11 years old for dressing different or listening to different music. For being me. I can only imagine how frightening it would be to be gay and be called that relentlessly."

Posted by: Robert | Mar 24, 2014 4:21:30 PM

17. "I refuse to believe that Mormons are that different from catholics."

So, the Catholics believe you can become the God of another planet if you are a pious enough? Mormonism takes religious hookum to whole other level. That's the funny thing about Western religions, if you notice. Each one had to be more ridiculous and sappy than the last. There's a continuum from Judaism (there is God, there is you, you must follow God's law) to Christianity (God likes you so much, he made a son like you, then killed him, and brought him back to life), Islam (honey coated virgins if you blow up airplanes), Mormonism (you become a God yourself if you donate to Prop 8), $cientology (you're involved in an epic battle between aliens/Gods, and may already be the ghost of a god or spirit, pay us millions to find out), etc.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Mar 24, 2014 4:21:51 PM

18. JJ lol ! I love that you said neutron star.

Posted by: Anthony | Mar 24, 2014 4:23:26 PM

19. I saw them open for Sting a few years ago and they were awesome...but he was Flaming so much it was laughable. You had to see it to believe it. My friend and I just laughed when he started talking about an ex GF...but good for him now!

Posted by: tagg | Mar 24, 2014 4:30:17 PM

20. EchtKultig: You are very tiresome and close minded.
    Pretending that all mormons are exactly the same is just as stupid as the right wing nutjobs who think that all gays are exactly the same

Posted by: jjose712 | Mar 24, 2014 4:32:20 PM

21. Of course people can hold conflicting beliefs, most of us do, but if someone is a tithing Catholic or Mormon (and I've only on rare occasions heard of any other kind), and if you supply them with your money via concerts, records, etc., then you are spending money to deny your own equality and access. Tithing is how they paid for their campaigns in California, Maine, Oregon, NH, MN, etc.

Posted by: John | Mar 24, 2014 4:54:30 PM

22. My mother repeatedly emasculated me in public growing up. I loathe women and resent masculinity. Look how hard I'm trying to win your approval, mama.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 24, 2014 4:59:14 PM

23. Wait a minute...wait, wait, wait...wait. The first person I ever voted for in my life was a Mormon. I voted for in 1976 becasue he was liberal and progressive. His name was Morris Udall, and his two sons serve in the US Senate today--and they support civil rights for Gay folks.

My favorite US Senator (and ex boer) is sexy Harry Reid--and he can kick azz.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 24, 2014 5:13:39 PM

24. "ex boxer"

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 24, 2014 5:14:23 PM

25. "Yes. I am a happy and healthy Mormon gay pop star"

Well, two out of three, I guess.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 24, 2014 5:45:43 PM