News: Anne Rice, Space Station 76, Rob Ford, Las Vegas

RoadConservative struggle over gay rights emerges at CPAC. L.A. Times agrees.

Spacestation76RoadSpace Station 76, with Matt Bomer, was acquired by Sony at SXSW. "'Space Station 76' is a comedic drama about a group of people (and several robots) living on a space station in a 1970’s-version of the future who are forced to confront their darkest secrets when a new Assistant Captain arrives and inadvertently ignites tensions among the crew."

RoadCrack-smoking Mayor Rob Ford advises Torontonians to turn their clocks BACK an hour.

RoadRepublican delegates in Eden Prairie, Minnesota refuse to endorse state Rep. Jenifer Loon, who voted in favor of same-sex marriage: "At their convention Saturday, the Eden Prairie delegates decided not to endorse anyone for the 48B District race."

RoadThe Michigan marriage case: a battle over research. More on the case from Buzzfeed's Steve Friess.

RoadNightlife guru Victor Drai opening gay club on Vegas strip: "Drai revealed his plans to open and develop Liaison, the first casino-situated venue aimed specifically at LGBT clientele, and the first foray into gay nightlife for the film producer-turned-restaurateur-turned-club-owner."

RoadChris Evans' heart is no longer in superhero movies but he has a nice beard.

RoadOne Direction collaborating with Good Charlotte and Kodaline.

CianniRoadDocumentary photographer Vincent Cianni releases new book of images and interviews of gay and lesbian service members begun while DADT was in place.

RoadGay rights group to march in Holyoke, Massachusetts St. Patrick's Day parade.

RoadFormer U.S. ambassador John Bolton opposes Nigeria, Uganda anti-gay laws.

RoadAstronaut Frank Culbertson's entire 9/11 footage from space to be aired on British TV.

RoadThe idea that African homosexuality was a colonial import is a myth: "The Portuguese were among the first Europeans to explore the continent. They noted the range of gender relations in African societies and referred to the 'unnatural damnation' of male-to-male sex in Congo. Andrew Battell, an English traveller in the 1590s, wrote this of the Imbangala of Angola: 'They are beastly in their living, for they have men in women's apparel, whom they keep among their wives.'"

RoadScott Foley goes shirtless on Scandal.

RoadMale model fix: Cory Bond.

NavratilovaRoadJohnny Weir, Martina Navratilova joining Donald Trump's Celebrity Apprentice.

RoadThree gay men attacked in Bangalore. "‘Next time you ask for a lighter ask politely like a man, not like a woman."

RoadJonathan Saenz, president of the anti-group Texas Values, warns that gay marriage will lead to people marrying their stepchildren: "How do you have any limitation on that? How do you stop polygamy? How do you stop people that want to do that with their own family members? Their stepchildren? I think there are even laws that suggest that you can’t marry someone that is a stepchild. That’s not even a blood relation. Those people could love each other, once that stepchild gets older.”

RoadAnne Rice announces new book Prince Lestat, a sequel to The Queen of the Damned.

RoadArizona Republic analyzes the rise and fall of SB 1062: “The distinction with the Arizona case was that they came out publicly and they rallied for the veto of a bill by a Republican governor,” said Heather Cronk, co-director of GetEQUAL, a national LGBT social-justice organization. “The confluence of business and politics is where it was actually a distinct moment, because it has been business decisions until now. They actually got into politics, where both small and large businesses pressured the governor to veto the bill, and that hasn’t happened very often.”

Comments

1. Yeah for Holyoke - I'll be even happier attending knowing the groups are openly participating (last year Mayor Morse marched, and IIRC, had his boyfriend at his side).

Re: Mr. Saenz - he does realize that current marriage law does not stop marriages of stepchildren - in fact, didn't one of the Rolling Stones have a son that was also his step-father-in-law?

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Mar 10, 2014 4:08:03 PM

2. The great Martina Navratilova on Celebrity Apprentice? That's so disappointing.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 10, 2014 4:18:57 PM

3. Re: SSM will lead to *eyeroll* people marrying their stepchildren. Uh, duh, but opposite sex marriage does not? This disinformation is almost the same as their argument that SSM will lead to legal pedophilia, which of course is absurd. Actually, in the 19th century pedophilia as we know it was legal throughout the U.S.A. (during super religious timey times). Age of consent varied between 10-13 years old and in Delaware it was 7 until 1895 or something. Anyway, progressives (aka libruls!) were the people who fought to increase age of consent laws.
    Their scare tactics are just astonishing in their lunacy.

Posted by: MisterM | Mar 10, 2014 4:24:55 PM

4. @Paul: I fully agree. I've met her twice, and she's funny, friendly, and charming. She could do so much better.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 10, 2014 4:48:03 PM

5. "How do you have any limitation on [people marrying their stepchildren]?"

OK, let's think this through…

If someone is your stepchild, that would mean you are married to the child's parent. Bigamy laws would prevent you from marrying the stepchild (or anyone else) while already married. You would have to divorce your current spouse first. However, once you divorce the child's parent, you are no longer the step parent--you've terminated that relationship. You are now free to marry your former step child. No same-sex marriage needed. This is already legal with ordinary traditional marriage.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 10, 2014 5:14:47 PM

6. The catholic xtian books just weren't bringing Rice the fame and $ she was used to. Though I would prefer her doing another mummy book since I consider Ramses the Damned her greatest work

Posted by: Moz's | Mar 10, 2014 5:16:03 PM

7. The fall of SB 1062 was delectable. If only we could have had that effect on Chick-Fil-A during that whole debacle... I hope we can destroy them eventually.

Posted by: Sergio | Mar 10, 2014 5:50:00 PM

8. How SAD that the once great Martina Navratilova is stooping so low to get into the gutter with Trump and Wier.
    Disgusting.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Mar 10, 2014 5:52:01 PM

9. The issue with step-children marrying each other or a parent marrying a step-child (assuming the parent's spouse is out of the picture), I would imagine, is the blood line thing...two step children marrying would have at least one of the same parents--similarly why brothers and sisters can't marry. However, my parents were first cousins...BUT...my dad was adopted by my mom's aunt and uncle so there wasn't any bloodline issues. Sort of like Woody Allen and Soon Yi.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 10, 2014 6:12:21 PM

10. My tweet to Tx Values: @txvalues - Woody Allen & Morgan Freeman are the ones who led the way on marrying step-kids, not gay people. It's a straight people problem. #LGBT #equality

Posted by: Donald | Mar 10, 2014 6:37:41 PM

11. WOODROAD34 - Just to clarify, two step children are not necessarily blood related or have the same parents, re:Brady Bunch.

Posted by: Donald | Mar 10, 2014 6:42:20 PM

12. @DONALD - Beat me to it: Was about to say that Woody Allen has done it with his Stepdaughter, and the white old straight people supported him wholeheartedly. Even shushed viciously those who dared infer pedo-groping (which he has apparently on one other stepchild).

@MOZ'S, FYI, Anne Rice had quit Christianity about 4 years ago in the most glorious and public of ways. She wrote on her FB:

“For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being ‘Christian’ or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

“As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”

Posted by: Mags | Mar 10, 2014 6:48:57 PM

13. I would watch anything with Matt Bomer in it. I would watch Matt Bomer playing the mayor of Toronto.

Posted by: bernard | Mar 10, 2014 7:44:23 PM

14. About the 'stepchildren' guy: unless QTexas kept pretending he was anyone important, we (Texans) wouldn't even know who he is. His opinions read like some of his neighbors (Ted Cruz) but don't credit his ramblings by quoting him or giving him printspace.

Posted by: chevytexas | Mar 10, 2014 7:47:18 PM

15. Sequel to "Queen of the Damned" in what sense? "Tale of the Body Thief" followed "Queen of the Damned," and that was followed by Lestat's journey through Christian history in "Memnoch the Devil." Then he comes back when the Mayfair witch "Merrick" wakes him. Then there's "Blackwood Farm," and the final (thus far) link between the vampires and the Mayfair witches, Blood Canticle, where Lestat hooks up with Rowan Mayfair, but ultimately decides not to turn her.

I guess she's just going to jump back into the middle. Whatevs.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 11, 2014 4:42:18 AM