The OXD Mirror: A Return of The Greats, New Music From Hercules and Love Affair and Todd Terry

While on the subject of influential people in music, Todd Terry is a name that’s familiar to most house music fans and easily one of the most celebrated DJs  around the world.  The living legend delivers a new single with a familiar feel on Southern Fried Records, ‘Feel The Sun’.  You may recognize the vocal sample of ‘Love On Top’ by the equally-legendary Beyonce, layered on top of an old school thumping house backing.  Check out the full-length video and song here.

On a similar house music note, Aden is dropping a new EP called Four on March 17th.  I honestly couldn’t tell you much about the artist(s), because they’re purposely shrouded in mystery and unidentified by the label, but I can tell you that the lead single ‘Part of Me’ is a sophisticated, layered dance track that’s worth its weight in gold.

Producer and DJ Toddla T, who I first became acclimated with from his remix of Roisin Murphy’s ‘You Know Me Better’, is releasing his Acid EP on Defected Records on May 5th.  ‘Phoney’ is a chic, simple album cut from Acid that has showcases vocals by Shola Ama and is a nice departure from the hard sounds Toddla T is usually known for.

Rounding out this week’s picks is a lower-key deep house track by Admin called ‘Slick Back’ that’s perfect for unwinding after listening to my energetic selections from this week.

The OXD Mirror is a weekly music column brought to you by the boys of OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD), a New York City based collective created by three music lovers, Ru Bhatt, Josh Appelbaum, and Tad Haes, who want to share their love for disco, house and dance music with the world.

OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) curates and recommends music events to the gay community in NYC—in an effort to move the focus of the nightlife scene beyond the promoter and venue and to the music itself. OXD's goal is to educate, entertain, engage and empower the gay audience to reclaim their ability to question and experience the unknown. The OXD Mirror will serve to showcase tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear.

Be sure to check out these tracks and more on our Spotify Playlist. For more information on OXD, check out our website and accompanying blog at www.occupythedisco.com, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter: @OccupyTheDisco.

Comments

1. emjayay says

It’s not at all true, but when I listen to this I begin to think no one is able to invent any pop music that is in any way new and not just a complete poor copy of what was created a long time ago. Particularly when people rave about it.

2. emjayay says

3. emjayay says

There are a lot of good arguments pro and con about LGBT use, or just saying gay. I thought they were argued at length here. I also thought I went on at great length that if you are going to go with the letters, it’s LGBT and nothing else for multiple reasons.

4. emjayay says