Basketball | Derrick Gordon | I'm Gay | News | Sports

UMass Player Derrick Gordon Talks to MSNBC After Becoming First Out Gay NCAA Player: VIDEO

3_gordon

News broke earlier today that UMass basketball player Derrick Gordon has come out of the closet, making him the first active openly gay NCAA Division 1 player. Andrea Mitchell spoke with him today on MSNBC.

Gordon said he made his decisions because "there's a lot of kids in my situation right now that can't be themselves and have to hide who they really are."

Gordon said that he consulted with Jason Collins before coming out and says he didn't expect his teammates to react with the acceptance that they did.

Gordon transferred from Kentucky and said "I just felt that I couldn't go the next couple months just hiding and being somebody I'm not...Having people out there saying gays aren't allowed in sports...I think nobody in this world should have to live like that."

Gordon says he was nervous about telling his mom and his parents froze for a little bit but his mother said "I always knew" and his father "came around and supported me."

Watch Mitchell's excellent interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Awww, he's so happy!

Posted by: litper | Apr 9, 2014 3:25:51 PM

2. What a truly beautiful man, in every aspect!

Posted by: Mundus | Apr 9, 2014 3:32:52 PM

3. I'm smiling like an idiot watching this. He's so happy, so freakin adorable!! I want i want i want!!!

well met, brother!
    VANGUARD!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 9, 2014 3:42:02 PM

4. His smile is infectious. Congrats and well done!

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 9, 2014 3:53:27 PM

5. transferred from WESTERN kentucky, not UK.

Posted by: Mitchell | Apr 9, 2014 3:53:55 PM

6. A Profile in Courage.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 9, 2014 4:18:13 PM

7. Cute as a button.

Posted by: Ted | Apr 9, 2014 4:32:14 PM

8. Wonderful story...wonderful guy! We need more stories like this...and more infectious smiles like his.

Posted by: Paul B. | Apr 9, 2014 4:50:53 PM

9. Good for him!!!

Posted by: reality | Apr 9, 2014 5:04:41 PM

10. What a great kid! He probably just saved the lives of hundreds of other gay kids by his brave decision. Maybe this will open the floodgates in the NCAA.

Posted by: SeattleMike | Apr 9, 2014 5:33:14 PM

11. This kid's smile is a right-wingers worst nightmare. A happy young gay, black, and courageous individual. He has my full support!

Posted by: ny2.0 | Apr 9, 2014 5:34:37 PM

12. I can't get enough of these stories. Congrats to Derrick for his courage and just being himself.

Posted by: Brian W. | Apr 9, 2014 5:49:44 PM

13. Good, but was he pressured to wait until the season was over?

Posted by: anon | Apr 9, 2014 6:35:35 PM

14. P.S. I want a Jock Boyfriend.

Posted by: Anthonyr | Apr 9, 2014 7:11:05 PM

15. Love, love love this guy! Amazing!

It seems that the peanut gallery always had some reason to belittle the other athletes who came out recently. Jason Collins is "at the end of his career." Conner Mertens is "just a kicker." Michael Sam is a "6th round draft pick." But here you have a player at a Division 1 school at the start of his career and he's doing well. They have nothing they can say against this guy.

Posted by: Tommy | Apr 9, 2014 7:40:41 PM

16. I have so much respect for these college athletes in the big US team sports who are coming out, and I admire their teammates and coaches who are supporting them.

One figure skater has attacked these guys for coming out "too soon", which is a disgrace and probably sour grapes.

Unlike figure skating, which is an individual or pairs sport tightly controlled by religious conservatives and designed to portray a heterosexual and "correct"-gender-emphasized image through art, team sports aren't about sexuality (and shouldn't be about gender...). They're about getting it done, whatever "it" is for that sport. They're about teamwork, and they must appeal to a broad audience. They need to look, at least a little, like the country ... so every viewer can see a player they might aspire to grow up to be, or wish they had been, at least as far as what happens during play. The fear has been that audiences wouldn't pay to see a gay player. But today, thankfully we know that's nonsense. Coming out will be not just much less of an issue than I thought it would be, but it may be a non-issue altogether, for teams. And unlike figure skating, team sports are played in the schools, so this image of leadership at the college level will be visible to kids in high school sport all over the country, and show them that this path is now certainly open to them, in reality, not merely in theory.

I'm expecting you to get the Minutemen to the Final Four next year, Derrick. No pressure.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 9, 2014 8:49:31 PM

17. Oh, and according to bustingbrackets.com, this appears to be his Instagram:

Posted by: Randy | Apr 9, 2014 8:56:01 PM

18. To say he is the first out gay NCAA Div. I athlete is not correct. He is the first out gay NCAA basketball player.

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 9, 2014 11:27:54 PM

19. I ♥ him. And that shirt. This is why it's important to be out.

Posted by: 1♥ | Apr 10, 2014 7:29:13 AM

20. COMING OUT is what leads to gay progress. COEM OUT OF THE CLOSET....Being trapped ina closet is what fuels homophobia

Posted by: Junior | Apr 10, 2014 7:31:03 AM

21. Awesome stuff. How can someone request a date?

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Apr 10, 2014 3:51:49 PM