Former Barclays Center Staffer Accuses Houston Rockets of Taunting Him with Anti-Gay Slurs

A Barclays Center food serve says in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that members of the Houston Rockets taunted him with anti-gay slurs before a 2013 game against the Nets, the NY Post reports:

RocketsRasean Tate, 28, of Brooklyn, is suing the Rockets and the company that handles catering at Barclays, Levy Restaurant Holdings, for a slew of civil rights violations and anti-gay discrimination.

Tate claims that he was setting up a buffet in the visiting Rockets locker room before a game on Feb. 22, 2013, when he was all but chased from the area because he was gay.

“When the plaintiff’s back was turned to defendant Rockets players, he began to hear laughter and taunting voices saying ‘get this f—– out of here!’ ” according to the suit, and ” ‘He’s trying to catch a sneaky-peeky!’ “

The reeling server said that the jabs and snickering didn’t let up.

Individual players are not named in the suit, and though the worker says he was told that Nets players underwent "special sensitivity training" because of the incident. It does not say if the Rockets dealt with the situation.

Tate says his complaints were met with retaliation in which his pay and hours plummeted and he was moved off of certain duties, and eventually fired.

Rockets forward Francisco Garcia, who played on the Rockets last year also, said, “I don’t remember anyone saying anything to anybody last year, so I don’t have any comment on that.”

The Barclays Center and the Nets are not parties to the suit.

A Barclays Center spokesman declined to comment on the suit.

Comments

1. Jordan says

@Ryan
    You don’t buy it perhaps because you’re part of the apologetic crowd that trolls on here often. To be so definitive to brush off a case where a gay man reports homophobia in a climate where homophobes are doubling down on their homophobia reveals your own bias. Work on that.

2. Tess says

Well I buy it. That a Nets representative was involved and that he’s essentially going against the entire NBA to tell this story makes this man brave to me and I support him.

3. AVOV505 says

Ryan…why would you not buy it? Jason Collins himself says he’s taunted for being gay by players, one on which has terrible homophobic slurs whenever they play against each other. Are you perhaps another privileged hetero posting here?

4. Montas says

I would bet it was Jeremy Lin. My boyfriend and I had the misfortune of meeting him and he was an absolute tool. No coincidence he’s also a major preachy Christian.

5. Mike in Houston says

I’m withholding judgement — but it’s interesting to note that this allegedly happened 14 months ago and the lawsuit is just now being brought after he was fired (apparently for cause).

6. chevytexas says

Okay, I will leave it to the court but that Houstonian is delusional, lol. Rockets don’t corner the market on homophobia, and certainly millionaires should be more aware of lawsuits than you or I, but NBA homophobia is real.

7. Mikey says

Good for this guy for pursuing this case. There’s a great deal of homophobia that needs to be tackled in the professional sports arena, and the apologetic crowd who doesn’t want
    to call out those types overlooks it.

8. Junior says

Brian W works for the Houston Rockets hence his RIDICULOUS assertion that “those group of guys would never do something like that” …LOL.

9. Mark says

Brian W, so you know every member of the team personally (maybe you do and work for the PR firm) which still wouldn’t answer to the fact that they are still capable of homophobia. You never truly know a person 100% and to claim you know professional athletes is just silly.

10. Liam says

Styler: Um who else would bring this suit? A random person off the street who happens to wander into the locker room? That would not happen.

Or are you saying that because he got fired we must assume he lying?

I know I know, all former employees are like people convicted of crimes: They are subhumans who will lie and steal and have no morals.

He should be able to prove this if he told others at the time of the incident that it happened. It should be pretty easy actually.