Bisexual | Blondie | Debbie Harry | I'm Gay | Music | News

Debbie Harry Reveals Bisexuality, Says She's Been with Women: VIDEO

Harry

Blondie's Debbie Harry has revealed she is bisexual in a German interview, the Mail Online reports:

When asked whether long-standing rumours of her affairs with girls were true, she said, 'Yeah,’ adding: ‘Let’s say women are more sensual.'

Harry, who enjoyed a long-term relationship with fellow band member Chris Stein, did not name any of her female lovers. She also insisted that her most enduring relationships had been with men and that she longed to fall in love again. 'I don’t know if I have any specific requirements,’ she said. 'Just somebody nice, who has a good sense of humour and loves to have sex. What more could you ask for?'

Harry also praised today's generation of female pop singers.

"I was criticised for being too overtly sexual, which was very innocent compared to what is going on now. I think they’re entitled to do what they feel or what they think is going to work for them. And I think they look good. It seems part of the standard for today really."

Take a look back at the video for Blondie's "Heart of Glass", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Years ago, when Blondie first came out, my late father thought Debbie Harry was the most beautiful woman in the world. He wasn't right about everything, but he hit the nail on the head there.
    Oh, and I was Miss Soft Crab in 1942, and they just didn't hand me that award on a silver platter - I had to work for it!

Posted by: dommyluc | Apr 7, 2014 8:53:45 AM

2. I read between the lines on that last sentence. She's too classy to give that interviewer what he wanted.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 7, 2014 9:12:21 AM

3. And you had to choose a colored record as your favorite song, didn't you? That's nice for the neighbors. You got something against Connie Francis? Shelley Fabares? l love Shelley Fabares.

Posted by: EO | Apr 7, 2014 9:27:33 AM

4. I wish she had been as forthcoming about addressing her,alleged, past addiction to H.

Posted by: mikeflower | Apr 7, 2014 9:34:47 AM

5. Well, we have to admit not all homosexuality appears to be genetic. There are some on-again, off-again people.

Posted by: will | Apr 7, 2014 9:38:21 AM

6. I knew the second I saw this headline that Jason would be all over these comments with his multiple usernames. He did not disappoint.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 7, 2014 9:56:39 AM

7. Hysterical that the person (Jason/Bruce/Sam ... ) posting under multiple fake names ("washed-up" Debbie Harry sure gets him worked up!) is calling Debbie Harry a fraud. And, actually, she's participated in many Prides and has always been a gay rights advocate. Maybe you've never seen her there cause you've never been to one?

Rock on, Debbie.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 7, 2014 10:11:46 AM

8. EO-
    Velma von Tussle was one harsh taskmaster!

Now Pony! Mashed Potato! Faster!

Posted by: dommyluc | Apr 7, 2014 11:19:04 AM

9. I'm with Rowan on this one. Debbie's too classy to give the interviewer what he's baiting for. Of course her having been around the bend a few times has something to do with it. And look, she's still making music. And she still doesn't have to do handstands or cartwheels or ride wrecking balls naked to be cool.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Apr 7, 2014 11:24:45 AM

10. When did 'new' leave the 'news'? Not being snarky at all here, but I thought it was common knowledge that she was into women. For at least a few years. I know this because I've had her on a playlist of LGBT artists for a long time. Not allies, but practitioners.

Posted by: Listo, puesto, y dispuetso | Apr 7, 2014 11:33:03 AM

11. I think it's great that she came out as bi. Bisexuals are a very misunderstood group and the more encouragement bi people get to come out of the closet, the sooner they will be accepted. The LGBT world tends to focus on gays and treat bisexuals as an afterthought. But yes, I do notice that more women come out as bi than men. I don't know why this is.

Posted by: Mary | Apr 7, 2014 3:04:15 PM

12. Who Dolly Madison or Betsey Ross?

Posted by: enchantra | Apr 7, 2014 4:12:04 PM

13. emimusic doesn't want people in Canada to be able to see the video.

Thanks, emimusic! You're a real winner.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 7, 2014 5:40:53 PM

14. Deborah Harry has talked about being bisexual many times in the last 20 years. This is not news.
    Deborah has also been an outspoken ally of gay people since the 1970's. One of her best friends was Andy Warhol.

Posted by: Icebloo | Apr 7, 2014 9:23:22 PM