Kevin Spacey Continues to ‘Fiercely’ Guard His Private Life

Spacey

In a new interview in The Hollywood Reporter, Kevin Spacey shuts down discussion of his private life:

Spacey, whose only permanent home is in London, fiercely guards his private life. In fact, his affable demeanor shuts off the moment he is asked about it. This might date back to a 1997 Esquire profile that infamously suggested Spacey was gay. He later denied the characterization, and his agency at the time, William Morris, vehemently discouraged its clients from cooperating with the publication."Let's let people live their lives and do it the way they want to do it," he says now. "All the chips will fall in the end, and we'll all be judged by a much higher power than Entertainment Weekly can."

This is consistent with what Spacey has said for years. In 2010 in an interview with Kevin Sessums, Spacey suggested that asking him he's gay is a form of bullying, adding:

"I don't live a lie. You have to understand that people who choose not to discuss their personal lives are not living a lie. That is a presumption that people jump t…I am different than some people would like me to be. I just don't buy into that the personal can be political. I just think that's horseshit. No one's personal life is in the public interest. It's gossip, bottom line. End of story. Now some people feed that. They'll go to the trendy restaurants where all the photographers are and then bitch about being famous. But if you don't want to feed that and you want your life to be based around what your work is then it ends there."

Comments

1. Th Other One says

Actors shouldn’t pontificate overmuch, it rarely goes well. I’m a longtime Spacey fan and will remain one, but the man is wrong to assert that the personal can’t be political. Hasn’t the fact that it can been well-established for decades if not centuries by various reckonings? We get it, Kevin. You’re playing ye olde “none of your business” game. No problem. But don’t extend your choice to be apolitical about something that you clearly realize *is* (else, why the avoidance?) to others. Your personal choice to be silent on the issue, please own it as such.

2. Just_a_guy says

I’m with kspacey in that I don’t think large masses of straight people can necessarily be trusted: repeatedly, too many straights show themselves to be absolute monsters towards straight people. I don’t see why every single gay/bi should be demanded to come out if that entails submitting to degradation by some straights against the will of that given person.

On the other hand, kspacey is silly if he really believes the personal cannot be political. Of course it can, and maybe almost always IS. But when it does become political, I don’t think it should be forced on someone unless they are a traitor to the cause.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

3. Just_a_guy says

Just my thoughts at the moment.

4. oncemorewithfeeling says

He’ll suffer exactly zero problems as a self-acknoweldged gay actor, so why does he have a problem confirming the obvious?

He’s old. If he acknowledges what everybody has known forever, he looks like a fool for lying about it for so long.

Next up: when will Richard Simmons come out of the closet?

5. Sean Maloney says

If you want a private life, then don’t become a public figure. It goes with the territory. Further, I don’t know too many straight actors who hide their heterosexuality because they’re ashamed of it. Kevin, if you do, please name them? Thanks.

6. Homo Genius says

I am not defending him – but my understanding of the situation was that his mom was/is still alive and it was a personal family oriented thing.

That said. Being a gossip whore his cruising in London parks is fairly well documented.

7. Jim says

What’s the big deal? Can’t he just relax and be not be so defensive? At this point in time and his career and exposure, he just seems out of touch and self loathing. Ellen and others have done the hard work . He’s so uptight about it that it’s ridiculous. Come on out honey, the waters fine!

8. jarago says

If you want to be a movie star people are going to be curious about your private life- if you want privacy then don’t go into such a public profession.

9. Abie says

I find it hard to imagine that he doesn’t realize that nobody who engages in that kind of evasive double-talk is ever straight. (See Latifah, Queen). If he were straight, he would say something like, “Yeah, my wife and I love living in London”. He doesn’t really owe anybody anything, of course, but at a certain point, he has to be aware that he is no longer fooling anybody. Besides, he is waaay past having to worry about risking any heartthrob status. Being out would affect his career in no way at all. (See McKellen, Ian)

10. Paul says

First, I think people should be able to build a career as an actor without having to make their personal lives public. Some people just want to act and have no desire to be a ‘star’. Spacey only speaks to the press in order to fulfill promo commitments for his roles.

Second, there are exactly zero out gay men playing leading hetero roles in major motion pictures and dramas. Honestly, the only ones I can think of are playing comedy or wizards or something like that. Never the guy banging his hot mistress or wife. Never.

I don’t think of Spacey as being in the closet. Not saying it in the press allows all those square state soccer moms to continue imagining him as a leading hetero…and we gays can see one of our own effectively playing any role out there…not just the mincing nerd or magical dwarf.

11. Jonathan says

Everybody knows a guy who’s slept with him. Who does he think he’s kidding?

Same crap as Anderson Cooper a few years ago. His private life was off limits . . . except the suicide of his brother, his relationship with his mother, the color of his turd. Private life is a synonym for “my gay life.”

12. Henry says

Like the comment above, I know a guy who slept with him. (Not a friend of a friend). One time, I was in a small professional gathering in a small space with Spacey (being purposefully vague), there were several attractive young men present, and Spacey was cruising all of them. Paid no attention to the alpha female in the room. I rarely call non-out people gay….except for Kevin Spacey. Kevin Spacey is a big homo.

13. Paul R says

It’s pathetic that he doesn’t just cop to what is known by almost everyone, but in a way I don’t mind because he’s such a creep. I’ve had friends (gay and straight) who he’s aggressively hit on in disgusting, rude, condescending, awful ways. I really dislike the man, so I don’t care how long he plays pretend.

14. Just_a_guy says

Y’all’s meanness makes me want to see more good in kspacey. Why should he live by YOUR standards?!

Mostly I don’t care, but I applaud his dignity on his own terms no matter his circumstance. Sheesh, sheeple.

15. Randy says

I don’t care if he’s gay or not.

But it does seem odd to ask people to look at you all the time, and then attack them for being curious who you really are.

But don’t we really already know the answer? If he was in a relationship with anyone, we’d know, unless that person is kept locked in a dungeon.

16. JackFknTwist says

I like him; the rest of the stuff, I don’t care.
    he has his reasons whether we agree with them or not.
    But he has always been a gay friendly bloke.

– unlike the Ken Melmans on this planet.

17. alex says

“Kevin Spacey is a big homo.”

If this is the welcome he receives from a gay website, just imagine the vitriol he’d face in the mainstream.

As far as I’m concerned, as long as he’s not actively working against gay people (like some closeted politicians), it’s really none of our business.

18. Sean Maloney says

Actually, “Just a Guy (LOL. Really?),” your comment is ironic in calling gay men who are out “sheeple” (not particularly original, either) because that ridiculous term applies to Spacey himself for being a sheep and not having the guts to just answer the question about his sexuality rather than being so comically cryptic about it. You actually have to have standards, and a backbone, to live your life freely, honestly and 100 percent truly to who you are. Spacey and his likeminded ilk, cry me a river. BAAAAAAAAAAA (a bleating heart sheeple).

19. Fahd says

With some actors, if I read interviews or hear about their personal lives, it ruins their performances for me. I used to like Jeremy Irons, now after his stupid remarks, I can’t watch him. I enjoy watching Kevin Spacey usually, but that kind of interview answer is difficult to overlook — people saying he’s an awful person etc. doesn’t help. Some actors apparently should stay out of the celebrity whirlwind – they just don’t have the personality for it. One more thing like this with Spacey and I won’t be able to watch his acting…

I’d like to have compassion for him – for him to say “I’m gay” in a People magazine way is apparently too difficult for him, but right now I’m plum out of compassion.

20. UrbanMike says

His history of enjoying the company of young men while traveling with celebrity friends is well known to many. I guess keeping his life private is his choice. But in choosing to become a public figure does one own the responsibility to be true and honest so to help others who struggle? I don’t know the exact answer, but I have an opinion.

21. BigGuy says

When he’s in a play or movie and does publicity tours, he talks about the work he has done. In addition to not talking about his private life and his relationships, he also never discusses the food or drink he’s eaten, the people he’s met, and the places he’s been.

I don’t think his behavior is that of a gay man hiding in public. I think his behavior is of an adult who wants to keep his private life separate from his public life.

Sacha Baron Cohen is the same way. He keeps his private life very private. I mention him because his political views are very conservative while Spacey’s are very liberal. They both keep their politics close to the vest, like they do with everything but their work in show business.

22. L G. says

good giving out nothing, Kevin
    no one´s business and those who want you gay are … well, hope it´s their fantasy!
    Saw Kevin when last in London….far shorter than he appears in film

23. Astras says

Kevin Spacey sleeps with women too. So technically, he’s not gay. That’s why he doesn’t and never will “come out.” People need to let it go.

24. Jack M says

He’s more than entitled to a personal life, but why stay in the closet when everyone knows the truth anyway? Plus, he could be a role model for others, and that’s a responsibility he should be taking on, as a public figure.

25. James says

I personally feel for Kevin Spacey with all the gossip and drama queens harping on his private life ( key word here private). Personally it is no real business of anyone’s except Mr. Spacey’s what goes on in his private life unless he decides to tell you. He has said this is off limits so it is off limits. Show some respect to him and yourself. How would you like it if every time you met someone they pryed into your personal life and then repeated it with commentary from people you don’t even know? Think before you start talking.

26. Killian says

I understand what he’s saying, but it’s only ever closeted gay people that say that. Straight actors never say what he is doing, or hide their relationships. It’s obvious.

27. chasmader says

Who cares if he comes out or not? It’s his choice (hopefully) to make.

In the meantime, Kevin is not making any anti-gay statements, so what’s the big deal?

28. SpaceCadet says

@Paul,

Zachary Quinto is an out gay male actor and he plays a lead hetero character in the Star Trek movies, major motion pictures that gross $200 million plus at the domestic box office alone. So that directly refutes your comment.

29. Robert says

The problem I have with him and his tortured logic is that saying you’re gay (or straight) isn’t revealing much about your “private life.” It’s just closeted people like Kevin Spacey who make it seem like it is. To me it’s like refusing to acknowledge that you’re Jewish. It’s an identity. If I tell someone I’m gay it doesn’t reveal details about my sex life.

Everyone in NYC theater knows he’s gay. He’s known for his lecherous to the point of inappropriate behavior toward young male actors. Seriously, everyone knows.

As pointed out above, if you don’t want people asking about your private life, don’t become a celebrity. And his career will not be damaged in any way if he simply answered the question.

He’s just feeding homophobia with this nonsense. I just find him and other closeted celebs pathetic.

30. Liam says

You are all missing the point. He is not in the closet. He is not pretending to be hetero. He just wants to be an actor and have his work be what the public knows about him. I do not buy the arguement that if you want a private life dont be a public figure. He is an actor. He is not a politician. He has the right to a private life and if he wants his personal life to be private then that is his right. He does not owe us anything but great performances. Period. If he wants to wade into the political than great. I wish he would. But he should not be called names because he does not want to be public with his private life.
    Actors do not declare their heterosexuality. If they are a private person they have quiet private lives and no one questions that.
    He is older from a different generation. He was burned in the past by people trying to out him and making his personal life all that people think about him. He did not want that. Leave him alone. He is not our enemy.

31. says

Good grief! After the “Usual Suspects” incident EVERYONE KNOWS HE’S GAY!!!!!!

The problem is that while he’s a really great actor he’s got real problems with his sexuality that only someone who is a professional analyst can properly access.

As previous posters have pointed out being openly gay is no longer a “career killer.” Zachary Quinto, Jim Parson, Jonathan Groff and Neil Patrick Harris all have successful careers. Coming out would affect Spacey’s career not a jot.

It’s a shame he doesn’t think better of himself.

32. Kim says

If it ain’t broke..90% of his fans DK or care that he is Gay.He doesn’t have to be Gay actor Kevin Spacey.I think more she be done to support OUT celebrities and less attn on closeted Celebrities.

33. Craig S says

Coming out as gay is not “letting people into your private life”, any more than acknowledging that you’re straight and married to a person of the opposite sex is. You *can* be out as gay and still have every bit as much of a private life as anybody else.

Being out doesn’t tell people whether you’re a top or a bottom or what your particular sexual kinks are; it doesn’t give anybody any special insight into how your relationships work or what you and your partner do with your private time; it doesn’t tell people what brand of soap you buy; it doesn’t give anybody ringside seats to watch you and your partner fight about whose turn it is to walk the dog; it doesn’t give anybody access to your wardrobe to count all the leather jockstraps; and on and so forth.

It just doesn’t put your personal life on display any more than it already was.

34. garryo says

Kevin Spacey is an actor, period. He’s not a finger-waving politician, he’s not a preacher, he’s not a culture-critic from the ivory tower, he’s not a self-help guru telling us how to live our lives better. In short, he’s not holding himself up as anything except a professional actor whose job is to immerse himself in the presentaton of another person’s character. That’s it.

It’s perfectly legitimate for him to draw a boundary around the rest of his life, no matter what his sexual, political, culinary or other preferences might be. Others, especially younger people, may infer that their choice to self-disclose about nearly every thought in their heads means that everyone else should do so also are thinking illogically.

35. says

Jonathan Groff is an actor, period. He’s not a finger-waving politician, he’s not a preacher, he’s not a culture-critic from the ivory tower, he’s not a self-help guru telling us how to live our lives better. In short, he’s not holding himself up as anything except a professional actor whose job is to immerse himself in the presentaton of another person’s character. That’s it.