AIDS/HIV | Larry Kramer | News | Ryan Murphy | The Normal Heart

New Trailer for HBO's 'The Normal Heart': VIDEO

Normalheart

A new trailer has arrived for HBO's adaptation of Larry Kramer's play The Normal Heart.

The film stars Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer, Julia Roberts, Taylor Kitsch, and Jim Parsons, and chronicles the early days of the AIDS crisis in New York City as seen through the eyes of an activist.

The HBO film is directed by Ryan Murphy and arrives on May 25.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

You can check out an earlier trailer HERE.

Comments

1. It didn't work for me. Here's a better link: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/04/the-normal-heart-trailer/

My question about this is haven't we seen this story already? "And the Band Played On", "How to Survive a Plague" and "Dallas Buyers Club" all told this story. How many more times do we need to see it? Or am I wrong? Does this tell an angle we haven't heard? I can't imagine anything being more powerful than "How to Survive a Plague".

Posted by: AJ | Apr 4, 2014 11:01:23 AM

2. We need to never forget. And no....this story has never been told.

Posted by: Hdtexan | Apr 4, 2014 11:11:04 AM

3. I hope he doesn't botch it the way he did Running With Scissors, which was a complete disaster.

Posted by: mike | Apr 4, 2014 11:11:47 AM

4. Kramer's play is really fine, and its power has held up very, very well over time (not always the case with political theater). It deserves a first-rate director, which Ryan Murphy usually is not.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Apr 4, 2014 11:19:01 AM

5. @AJ The Normal Heart is much more than a story about the beginning of the AIDS crisis. It has many powerful messages, about what it means to be gay, gay identity, the place and meaning of sex in our lives, our place in history as gay men throughout time, etc., etc. And it was one of the first plays to address the AIDS crisis, and did so with much more to say than just that we were dying and we needed a response. Everything else -- How to Survive a Plague, etc. -- came after this one. The play was an incredibly powerful work, a masterpiece. I agree with Mike -- I hope Ryan Murphy does justice to its place in the canon.

Posted by: David | Apr 4, 2014 11:26:17 AM

6. AJ, with all due respect, that's like saying we don't need anymore movies about the Holocaust, or the civil right movement, or slavery. This fine play documents a seminal moment at the beginning of the LGTB equality movement. How can the deaths of tens of thousands of men (not to mention millions globally) - a number exacerbated by social views towards gay people - be an over-told story? We should be over-joyed. This story can not be told too many times.

Posted by: Jeremy | Apr 4, 2014 12:53:01 PM

7. I understand that it's an important subject. I just don't think anything fictional can ever be as powerful as "how to fight a plague". I was emotionally wrecked after watching that. I felt like "Dallas Buyers Club" was a pale shadow compared to that. I love the actors in this film and I guess I can appreciate the historical context.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 4, 2014 1:05:04 PM

8. It is Larry Kramers interpretation of events but I wouldn't call it, strictly speaking, fictional.

"After most performances of the 2011 revival of The Normal Heart, Larry Kramer personally passed out a dramaturgical flyer detailing some of the real stories behind the play's characters.[1] Kramer wrote that the character "Bruce" was based on Paul Popham, the president of the GMHC from 1981 until 1985; "Tommy" was based on Rodger McFarlane, who was executive director of GMHC and a founding member of ACT UP and Broadway Cares; and "Emma' was modeled after Dr. Linda Laubenstein,[2] who treated some of the first New York cases of what was later known as AIDS. Like "Ned," Kramer himself helped to found several AIDS-activism groups, including Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC) and AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP), and indeed experienced personal conflict with his lawyer brother, Arthur." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Normal_Heart

Posted by: JT | Apr 4, 2014 1:48:19 PM

9. Thank you JT.

Logo needs a new game show

The Weakest Twink: Gay people under 30, questions on gay trivia...and most importantly history.

Posted by: qj201 | Apr 4, 2014 2:00:59 PM

10. Not exactly the best trailer... I hope the movie is better.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 4, 2014 4:30:15 PM

11. I can tell you right now, as a public school teacher, that no matter how brilliant, vital, and urgent that film is, I'll never be able to show it in schools as a snapshot of what AIDS was really like, and thus there will be thousands of young people who will never truly understand what this epidemic was, and what it did to the gay community and America. And that's a damn tragedy. (Yes, there are many fine documentaries out there--"Common Threads" especially--but something like this which truly communicates the rage and fear and sense of helplessness and doom that were the norm for almost a decade needs to be seen by as many people as possible.)

Posted by: Dback | Apr 4, 2014 8:14:13 PM

12. REALLY great trailer.

Larry has been in the hospital for quite awhile now. My thoughts are with him

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 5, 2014 9:29:57 AM