Bullying | News

VH1 PSA Tells Bullied Kids Not to Worry Because One Day They'll Be the Tormentors: VIDEO

Bullying

A new VH1 PSA set to the tune of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" tries to find humor in the world of school bullying, telling those under duress to hold on because one day they'll be the boss.

But is that any reassurance to those whose lives are fraught with fear over swirlies, wedgies, towel-snapping, face-sitting, verbal abuse, and physical torture? And what about those who never make it that far?

Jezebel lets VH1 have it:

I get it, VH1. You want to make a cool and funny anti-bullying PSA so you can pat yourself on the back for taking a safely non-controversial stance against something like bullying, because that's all the rage these days. I know your heart is absolutely in the right place (or the hearts of the public relations/marketing team who came up with this are). But telling kids they should grin and shake it off because someday they might live out some classist revenge fable is some serious head-in-the-sand f--kery.

Bullying is not something we fix simply by trying to teach kids who are bullied all the ways they can tolerate it, nor is it solved by threatening kids who are bullies that they might themselves be on the receiving end of the same torture. That doesn't work and it's f--king dumb.We need to be pointing the finger of responsibility squarely at adults who should be taking charge and protecting kids in these situations, not shuffling them off with feel-good video clips and sh--ty so-called "educational" fliers.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Assinine.

Posted by: Karl | Apr 25, 2014 12:35:16 PM

2. So the cure to bullying is to wait and BECOME the bully??? GTFO VH-1

Posted by: Kissyfur | Apr 25, 2014 12:35:47 PM

3. And, so what's the harm in bullying? All the people you bully turn out to be rich and powerful, so you're actually doing them a favor?

Nice try, but how many bullies are even thinking in terms of what job they'll have, and if they do, how many of them are realistic about their job prospects?

For that matter, if all the nerds are going to grow up to be your bosses and oppressors anyway, why not get a few licks in now while you can?

This is at best, in appallingly bad taste. I can't see how this could possibly do anything to stop bullying. I'd rather see a series of PSA's encouraging those who are neither bullies nor bullied to stand together and step in to stop it.

Posted by: Lymis | Apr 25, 2014 12:47:46 PM

4. Where the f--- is GLAAD?!

Posted by: bigolpoofter | Apr 25, 2014 12:52:29 PM

5. I don't think we gays actually become the bully. We just take out our petty revenges on people like Brendan Eich and Alex Baldwin.

Posted by: will | Apr 25, 2014 1:02:17 PM

6. Wow. What an irrisponsible message. You were bullied as a kid, so your role as an adult will that of revenge. Brilliant. So the ones that don't become tormentors, should they just drop off the face of the earth?

Dumb.

Posted by: Keith | Apr 25, 2014 1:05:23 PM

7. Reprehensible. Even putting aside the fictional idea of - oh, its OK you can bully them later whenyou're rich and successful; there's the actual fact that bullied kids grow up crippled by insecurity and self-doubt. It doesn't go away and shame on VH1 - what's next a "fun" spot on child abuse pointing out that when the kids grow up they can abuse their then senior parents.

Posted by: rjinva | Apr 25, 2014 1:23:16 PM

8. The PSA is brilliantly made, yet perhaps misguided. I haven't made up my mind yet. Initially I smiled.

Posted by: J. D. | Apr 25, 2014 1:23:20 PM

9. I have gotten into major arguments with my father on bullying. He is a very fair minded man but this is one area he doesn't get. I do a very poor job of explaining the concept as I was never physically bullied but the prospect kept me from participating in anything at all in high school. I didn't have a life in high school as if I did someone might have figured out who I really was, that I liked boys and I saw how the wierd kids got treated. Better to be non-existent than to bring attention to yourself. I believe that was a form of Pschological abuse as a whole chapter of my life was mostly missing. It makes me sad that I missed out of some of the normal things boys are supposed to experience in HS and college, go on dates and fall in love.

Posted by: Jason B. | Apr 25, 2014 3:29:07 PM

10. This video is wrong on SO many levels.

Posted by: Bryan L | Apr 25, 2014 4:08:12 PM

11. How many VH1 execs vetted this before it went to air?

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 25, 2014 5:24:26 PM

12. hate it

Posted by: reality | Apr 25, 2014 5:31:39 PM

13. I was prepared to watch this and say everyone was making a big deal out of nothing. The idea could have been cute. Instead it was appalling.

I found the vignette with the chubby kid being towel-snapped especially awful. Maybe that child actor has marvelous self-esteem and isn't bothered by that, but they portrayed his body very negatively. That's got to hurt. As a previously chubby teen and now skinny adult (following an eating disorder), this touched a nerve.

It's just wrong. Pull it. Try again.

Posted by: Justin | Apr 25, 2014 6:30:58 PM

14. What a terrible idea! Bullying by either children or adults, gay or straight, is wrong, period, full stop!

The way to fight bullying is to make videos that show that it is clearly wrong and should not ever be tolerated. In addition, one can support groups such as the Gay, Lesbian And Straight Education Network.

Just look it up on-line:

Posted by: RonCharles | Apr 25, 2014 7:44:41 PM

15. It was amusing.

Posted by: Brian W. | Apr 25, 2014 10:18:06 PM

16. No good comes from a revenge culture. Revenge is for simple minded people. It would be a more powerful message if it was about them growing up and being forces of change.

Posted by: Tonez | Apr 26, 2014 9:50:51 AM

17. Fabulous!

Posted by: enchantra | Apr 26, 2014 5:00:32 PM

18. Who cast it Bryan Singer?

Posted by: Jack | Apr 26, 2014 7:22:03 PM