Bisexual | Bryan Singer | I'm Gay | News

Bryan Singer Comes Out as Bisexual

Bryan Singer has come out as bisexual in an OUT magazine profile tied to the release of the new X-Men film:

SingerSomewhere along the way, he became “openly gay director Bryan Singer.” The first time he saw that in print, Singer says, “I was like, Oh, OK. That was easy.” He shrugs. “I came out by osmosis.” So he skipped being asked or having to make a statement, which is probably a sign of progress. Asked now whether life is any different in Hollywood for a “gay director,” he’s ready to give a more complicated answer. “I’m quite bisexual,” he says. “In the last five years, I’ve had two girlfriends — one for two years, one for eight months.” He laughs, a little more the shy, Clark Kent type than the self-assured superdirector he’s been all day. “Talking about human sexuality is like talking about the second World War,” he says, wryly. (If Singer has an enduring film fixation other than gay allegories, it’s with WWII.)

OUT makes this note at the beginning of the profile:

Editor's Note: This story went to press just as a lawsuit alleging Bryan Singer sexually assaulted a teenager in 1999 was announced. Singer declined additional comment to Out beyond this public statement released last month: “The allegations against me are outrageous, vicious and completely false. I do not want these fictitious claims to divert ANY attention from ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past.’ This fantastic film is a labor of love and one of the greatest experiences of my career. So, out of respect to all of the extraordinary contributions from the incredibly talented actors and crew involved, I’ve decided not to participate in the upcoming media events for the film. However, I promise when this situation is over, the facts will show this to be the sick twisted shake down it is. I want to thank fans, friends and family for all their amazing and overwhelming support.”

Comments

1. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....AND MJ WAS A PUSSYHOUND !

Posted by: JOHN | May 14, 2014 1:38:42 PM

2. Hysterical. Talk about damage control.

Posted by: TWINS | May 14, 2014 1:41:57 PM

3. Laughing out loud! As a hetero female let me just say that botoxed face of his is exactly the manly look that attacts us! Laughing out loud again!

Posted by: June | May 14, 2014 1:46:00 PM

4. And pigs fly.

Posted by: Jo | May 14, 2014 1:47:06 PM

5. Were his "girlfriends" under 21 as well?

Mhm....

Posted by: Here | May 14, 2014 1:48:24 PM

6. Are you shitting me.

Posted by: Tigernan | May 14, 2014 1:48:57 PM

7. Well, when you diddle teen boys, it's hard to say you're a heterosexual.

Posted by: Sam | May 14, 2014 1:51:13 PM

8. "I'm quite bisexual" -- why do I hear this spoken in the voice of Franklin Pangborn?

Posted by: James | May 14, 2014 1:55:54 PM

9. Such crap. He's merely playing the hollywood game of being on the fence so as not to be branded/labeled, appealing to a larger audience as he's now under a super-hot spotlight.

The man is gay!

Posted by: MP | May 14, 2014 1:56:20 PM

10. BTW. Any gay man who has ever spent any time in Hollywood as a young man knows exactly what these parties were like. I remember them very well: Howard Roseman, Barry Diller, David Geffen, Sandy Gallen, Merv Griffin and the list goes on.....it was hot men/boys at their homes all the time. Whether they were legal or not, I didn't think to care or check. I was more disgusted by the level of attention super hot guys would give these trolls than anything else. It's the reason I made my career back east where brains really do matter.

Posted by: MP | May 14, 2014 2:00:11 PM

11. Bryan's washer is obviously on "spin control."

Posted by: Sean Maloney | May 14, 2014 2:07:32 PM

12. @MP, Well, that is sort of the game now isn't it? Young attractive things, gay, straight, and, bi, will hang around these older, wealthy "trolls" to feel like they are connected to the Hollywood scene, get noticed, make it in the biz or just become a kept boy or girl with a sugar daddy. V. Stiviano is an example of that, although that was more a hip-hop/NBA groupie than Hollywood hanger-on but same basic concept. Power and wealth attracts.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | May 14, 2014 2:10:17 PM

13. Frankly, he is know as gay director from almost two decades and he decides to say he is bisexual now?

I understand being wrongly labeled by the press, but frankly wait that much tim without saying a word is a bit ridiculous. Even people ding queer cinema like Greg Araki talked about his bisexuality after being known.

If this was a tactic to all his recent problems is a really bad one

Posted by: jjose712 | May 14, 2014 2:26:36 PM

14. are the majority of child molesters not "bi sexual" anyway? Nice try, perv.

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 14, 2014 2:30:30 PM

15. SAM, exactly. This guy has sexual issues...he is ONLY attracted to boys. That is weird. NOT gay.

I wouldn't be surprised if something happened to him as a....boy.

Still, he said he was gay all those years back! I remember the article very vividly because he said that was why he loved the x-men so much....

Posted by: Rowan | May 14, 2014 2:30:37 PM

16. People commenting must have missed the part where this interview was done before the accusations came out so his claim of bisexuality was not spin control.

Also this Buzzfeed article has Egan's original sex abuse deposition from 2003 in which he clearly states that while other boys were taken on trips, he was never taken out of the Continental US.

When it was clarified that they meant Hawaii, Alaska and the Caribbean, he specifically says he was never taken there because his mother wouldn't allow him to go on long trips and would lock him up to make sure he didn't go.

This really blows a hole in Egan's case as he's claiming he was sexually abused by Singer in Hawaii. (The statute of limitations for Cal was up so he wasn't able to file there. Hawaii had extended theirs though.)

Posted by: m.r. | May 14, 2014 2:30:53 PM

17. Having to hide who you are from the world and the discrimination/outsider factor..

Posted by: Rowan | May 14, 2014 2:31:09 PM

18. Gay or bi, in this case whatever. The main question is, why now?

Posted by: Matt27 | May 14, 2014 2:35:46 PM

19. Has Towleroad yet reported the pretty major fact that Singer's accuser got caught as previously testifying-- under oath-- that he'd never been to Hawaii? Buzzfeed, TMZ, and Queerty have been all over this. I'm not sure how the case against Singer precedes at this point without the accuser admitting to perjury.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 14, 2014 2:35:53 PM

20. Good grief!

Posted by: Jack M | May 14, 2014 2:38:13 PM

21. Gawd! Is everyone in Hollywood bisexual? Give me a break!

Posted by: mattl | May 14, 2014 2:41:54 PM

22. He does say he's bisexual but leans more to men.

“In the end, it’s probably going to be a guy,” he says. “I emotionally lean towards male relationships, so I’m happy to say I’m gay, too, if it’s a one-syllable, easy answer.”

On the six-point, self-assessed Kinsey scale, Singer says, without hesitation, “I’d definitely be a four.” His first serious relationship, at 23, was with actress Michelle Clunie, best known for playing a lesbian on Showtime’s Queer as Folk. The women he dates are not threatened by guys, he says; with boyfriends, the prospect of him being with girls is more of a novelty. “I don’t think it’s on the radar.” He shrugs. This seems like a conversation he’s had often, if not to any conclusive end. “They think it’s interesting?” he guesses. “Some think it’s gross — but they would be a six on the Kinsey scale.”

Posted by: m.r. | May 14, 2014 2:48:48 PM

23. aaaand cut, nice PR stunt tactic girl!!! well something did happen!!! with Bryan Singer alleged being around the parties they had behind closed doors with underage males. if he wasn't there then prove it don't throw your mix sexuality at us to throw us off the stench cause inquiring minds want to know. the truth will come out eventually whatever the outcome in the end YOU Bryan Singer are and still gay.

Posted by: AlbertaM | May 14, 2014 2:59:30 PM

24. I'd hate to be in that jury room debating bisexuality. Good tactic. Too many men born on September 17th are gay -- you, me, and Nate Berkus.

Posted by: Gary | May 14, 2014 3:42:06 PM

25. I think he must have hired the same PR firm as Donald Sterling. Translation of this: I also like barely legal girls.

Posted by: EchtKultig | May 14, 2014 3:54:19 PM