Couples | Episcopal Church | Gene Robinson | News

Gay Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson to Divorce

Gay Episocopal Bishop Gene Robinson is divorcing his husband of more than two decades, he announced today in a statement to the Diocese of New Hampshire and an accompany piece in The Daily Beast.

RobinsonSaid Robinson in a statement:

“As you can imagine, this is a difficult time for us — not a decision entered into lightly or without much counseling,” Robinson wrote in a letter. “We ask for your prayers, that the love and care for each other that has characterized our relationship for a quarter century will continue in the difficult days ahead.”

He added, in the Daily Beast:

As my marriage to Mark ends, I believe him to be one of the kindest, most generous and loyal human beings on earth. There is no way I could ever repay the debt I owe him for his standing by me through the challenges of the last decade. I will be forever grateful to him, and as I tell couples in pre-marital counseling, “Marriage is forever, and your relationship will endure—whether positively or negatively—even if the marriage formally ends.”

Robinson adds that marriages face many difficulties, and both parties shoulder the burdens:

It is at least a small comfort to me, as a gay rights and marriage equality advocate, to know that like any marriage, gay and lesbian couples are subject to the same complications and hardships that afflict marriages between heterosexual couples. All of us sincerely intend, when we take our wedding vows, to live up to the ideal of “til death do us part.” But not all of us are able to see this through until death indeed parts us.

My belief in marriage is undiminished by the reality of divorcing someone I have loved for a very long time, and will continue to love even as we separate. Love can endure, even if a marriage cannot. It will take a lot of work, a lot of grieving, and a large measure of hope to see it through. And that’s where my faith comes in.

Comments

1. In other words, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I keep hearing how same-sex relationships are so stable. And then this, with a "bishop" of a heretical sect who not only abandoned his wife and children to feed his lust for men, he can't even stay with the man he's supposedly "married" to.

Posted by: SteveAR | May 4, 2014 12:32:32 PM

2. I am so glad that I am not an Episcopalian or an Anglican. The only reason that church got started in the first place was because Henry VIII wanted a young piece of tail named Anne Boleyn and he threw a tantrum when the Church of Rome said no to him. If even the highest leaders in that church today can't live out the sanctity of marriage, what hope is there for the regular Joe or Jane out there? I am sad for the bishop on a personal level but really appalled on every other level.

Posted by: TANK | May 4, 2014 12:47:09 PM

3. Same sex relationships are no more nor more less stable than str8 relationships. My husband and I have been together for over 12 years and will be together 'til death do us part.

It's really very simple, for a relationship to stand the test of time, you need TWO people who want to remain together and are committed to the relationship. Unless both persons are committed to each other and the relationship, then it will not (and should not) continue.

Posted by: Howard B | May 4, 2014 12:47:47 PM

4. I'm on my seventeenth year, the couple up the street met in college and are in their 31st year. So if you want to just rely on anecdotes and say gay marriages can't last because of this example, Howard and I have just provided you with three examples to the contrary.

Posted by: Brian1 | May 4, 2014 12:56:43 PM

5. I think the biggest predictor for marital success is if your parents stayed married, on both sides. When you look at life-long marriages, clearly there are ups and downs and more than a few rough stretches, or worse, periods of apathy. That is normal. People who stay married, like my parents, like me, make a commitment to commitment. Married isn't a thing outside of me, it is part of who I am.

Posted by: TM in LBC | May 4, 2014 1:01:30 PM

6. Fairly or not, this will engender a lot of negative press. What's the story behind such a risky move?

Posted by: Sergio | May 4, 2014 1:04:21 PM

7. For that first commenter and others tempted to point and laugh, it's important to note that Bishop Robinson and Mr. Adams have been together for twenty-five years, and they have mutually decided to separate, which anyone who bothers to check the New Hampshire Diocesan site can easily find out. Robinson isn't divorcing Adams -- they are divorcing each other, which is quite a different thing. Speculation is useless, but it is certainly easy to see that the strains put on their relationship by the world-side storm of voices when Robinson came out could have had serious negative effects. If you're in the habit of ha-ha-ha-ing your straight friends when they divorce, feel free to continue; but if you generally think divorce is a difficult and sad time for both parties, you might want to reconsider mocking these two men.

Posted by: Piet | May 4, 2014 1:28:26 PM

8. Gay couples get divorced for the same reasons straight couples get divorced. And they stay together for the same reasons, too. There's really not much more to it than that, though it's amusing that any straight person would get on their high horse about stability given the heterosexual divorce rate.

Posted by: Ernie | May 4, 2014 1:42:00 PM

9. Please, enough of this man as a spokesperson and role model for the rest of us. First the dalliance in heterosexual marriage, then the alcoholism, now this. Please, Mr. Robinson, please, for the reputation of the rest of us, quietly disappear.

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2014 1:49:57 PM

10. Coming home to a man dressed like that is surely more comedy than anyone can endure. A quarter century is enough.

PIET's response above is the best, ERNIE's too (of course).

Posted by: UFFDA | May 4, 2014 1:57:28 PM

11. (Not the same person who just posted as "Bill")

@UFFDA: the picture looks like a photoshop job: the light sources for Robertson and his partner seem to be from different directions.

I'm not going to criticize Robertson and/or his partner, at least without some real knowledge of the facts, which are really none of my business. It's rather unseemly to say much of anything beyond expressions of sympathy for both of them.

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2014 2:29:58 PM

12. Those HA HA HA people generally are those who never married and not marriage material anyway.

Posted by: simon | May 4, 2014 2:37:29 PM

13. sorry they couldn't work through their troubles, hope they both find happiness.

love the in-depth analytical comments from total strangers who know nothing about the private lives of the couple. *eyeroll*

Posted by: northalabama | May 4, 2014 3:10:40 PM

14. I wonder if Stevear and Tank are over posting on Thomas Peters' blog about how his marriage isn't legitimate because he won't be able to have children naturally.

Posted by: That's How I Roll | May 4, 2014 3:17:01 PM

15. Stevear and Tank are losers who don't have a life. That's why they like to laugh at other people's misfortune. It is just sad.

Posted by: simon | May 4, 2014 3:32:03 PM

16. Stevear is just sad for taking joy in others problems. His thesis is just wrong - my husband and I have been together for 24 years this week, and my gay friends from grad school have all been with their spouses for a similar amount of time or longer.

Heterosexual marriages that end in divorce last an average of 8 years.

Posted by: Alex | May 4, 2014 3:39:34 PM

17. That's too bad. But in a more general way I'm not sure marriage is the best way to sustain a relationship. It adds pressures and EXPECTATIONS that often create trouble that would not be there otherwise. If two people want to be together they will be -- even when they can't get married. I've met lots of decades long couples who could not marry because they were gay.

I'd fight for the right to marry, but I'm not sure I'd do it.

Posted by: james st. james | May 4, 2014 4:03:33 PM

18. I LOVE Towleroad! You commenters are so nice! Queerty commenters should watch out!

Posted by: Rowan | May 4, 2014 5:09:02 PM

19. The problem here is that by the time same-sex couples were able to marry, straight couples had ruined it.

I'm starting to consider whether the abolition of marriage might be the best thing for everyone.

Clearly most of the people claiming to have the principles to love a person for a lifetime are naive, or lying.

Posted by: Randy | May 4, 2014 6:12:45 PM

20. Robinson - a pathetic, pagan, narcissist.

Posted by: syttendemai | May 4, 2014 6:30:21 PM

21. Oy. So much blah, blah, blah on this thread. My partner and I have been together for close to 24 years. We're Canadian, so we could have legally married years ago. But why bother? In the eyes of the (Canadian) law, we are common-law spouses and enjoy the same benefits of married couples. He does his bit, I do mine. We are far from perfect, but at the end of the day, we still can have a toe-curlingly good time.

Posted by: Jeff | May 4, 2014 6:45:36 PM

22. @Stevear and Tank -- ah the hoary old chestnut that the Anglican Church started over a divorce. The Anglican Church -- the church in England --actually started with St Augustine of Canterbury in the late 500s. In the 1530s, the church in England decided that, as had the Orthodox Church 400 years before it, it could not recognize the supreme authority of the Bishop of Rome over all churches everywhere. Political differences of course come to the fore during this, but the long-term driver was theological: to return final say in religious matters in England back to England.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | May 4, 2014 7:36:51 PM

23. I just can't take anybody seriously who calls themselves a bishop or wears renaissance drag. Doesn't matter who you love or are.

Sorry Gene.

Posted by: mcgill | May 4, 2014 7:57:41 PM

24. http://twitter.com/gaysabovethelaw/status/463732167818756096
    #nswpol All Hail the #gaymarriage #fail @BishopGRobinson on @AlexGreenwich MP's order #auspol

Gay MP Alex Greenwich in Australia who trademarked his own pubic hair (see my tweets) in relation to the "BondiBoys" IP Australia trademark (see bondiboys.blogspot.com before he deletes it & http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/greenwich-alex/trademarks/1263549/) orders NSW Parliament to praise this now divorced ex-Bishop
    The youtube video shared on twitter's description has lots of information on all the trouble Gene Robinson caused for the Anglican Church.

See how much of a joke the gay mafia is - my twitter is there for you tall all investigate. I'm a UNHCR confirmed refugee from NSW GLLO Gay Police persecution.
    NEWS Suggestion http://tinyurl.com/gaydadschurchsuingbabysellers
    UK ESSEX @gaydads SELL USA babies / exploit USA #surrogacy where commercial surrogacy is illegal in UK, to allow homosexuals to breed. Their own website bsc-america.com (hetro surrogacy) says they give children to single gay men with AIDS! It gets worse - they launched theparentmakers.com realityTV show to promote their human trafficking business. This kind of stuff makes you sick but you do need to investigate it and change the NV,CA and potentially FL,NY gay surrogacy laws to stop america being exploited by the global gay lobby. If you don't see a problem with this - then see http://tinyurl.com/abcplugspedos to see the REAL REASON Putin made those "anti-gay" laws to protect the children! Russian baby raped from <2 weeks - This topic was also covered by Robert Stacy McCain
    Australian Catholic's take: http://billmuehlenberg.com/2013/12/10/more-tales-from-the-tolerance-thugs/

Posted by: Luke McKee | May 6, 2014 4:09:57 PM