Comments

1. Derrick from Philly says

Lord, help me, I’m in love–but I’m 30 years too late. I wish him the best–absolutley the best.

2. SpaceCadet says

I’m just under 11 years older than Michael. I think I still have a chance. Lol. So excited for tomorrow but he’s probably more so!

3. Rick says

“If he goes undrafted or isn’t even signed as a free agent, the NFL’s message of progress and preparedness for a gay player becomes a more difficult sell.”

This is why we need an established superstar to come out. As long as the players we are dealing with are in some LEGITIMATE way considered marginal–or could be considered such subjectively, whether Jason Collins or Michael Sam or Wade Davis, there is always going to be some doubt about whether their sexual orientation is an issue or not.

An Aaron Rogers or a Derek Jeter or a Lebron James would be beyond “reproach” (not saying any of them are gay, although Rogers could be), but a so-so prospect will not be.

4. Rick says

“Hey, the Philadelphia Eages can use a good defensive back or special teams player. Come on here to Philly, Micheal. I promise I won’t stand outside the stadium glaring at you.”

Defensive back? Maybe linebacker, but not defensive back.

In any case, Derrick, Philadelphia would be one of the worst places for him to play because, as you know, its fans are the most brutal in the entire world, so the likelihood that he would be subjected to taunts and other forms of abuse would be higher there than most other places, despite Philadelphia supposedly being a more “progressive” place (that progressivness does not apply to many of its sports fans, I’m afraid)

5. Derrick from Philly says

God, how I hate to agree with Rick. And maybe I won’t.

Yes, Philadelphia sports fans can be barbarians, but maybe YOU underestimate their improvement as civilized human beings. We have a Black hockey player (Wayne Simmonds) on the Philadelphia Flyers team. As far as I know he’s be accepted (‘course I don’t follow hockey).

I’d just love to have Michael Sam drafted.

Where do you think he’ll fit in? San Francisco?

6. DC Insider says

I hate anyone drawing any conclusions from whether he is drafted or not. He is borderline, and being gay should not help or hurt his chances. I hate seeing him pushed in because he’s gay, and I hate seeing him ignored because of it as well.

7. Jerry says

Tom Brady wasn’t considered a superstar until AFTER he was drafted — in the sixth round.

Anything is possible, but I know better than to hold my breath.

8. Rick says

“Where do you think he’ll fit in? San Francisco?”

San Francisco (but not Oakland, because Raiders fans are just as brutal as Eagles fans), maybe Seattle.

Or–just throwing a curve ball out there–maybe Houston or Dallas, since he is from Texas…..or St. Louis or Kansas City, since he played for Missouri. People in those cities might be more homophobic, but they are also less aggressive, generally, so it MIGHT work out in those places.

We will see.