Don Jones | Football (American) | Michael Sam | News | NFL | Sports

Miami Dolphins Player Don Jones Suspended and Fined for Offensive Tweet Directed at Michael Sam

Jones

Miami Dolphins defensive back Don Jones, who tweeted "OMG" and "Horrible" in reaction to Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend after being drafted by the St. Louis Rams, apologized to Sam and the Dolphins on Sunday night, and was suspended and fined by the team, CBS Sports reports.

Said Jones in a statement:

"I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media. I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career...I sincerely apologize to Mr. Ross, my teammates, coaches, staff and fans for these tweets. I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward."

Coach Joe Philbin called Jones' statements "inappropriate and unacceptable" adding "We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment. These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program."

Jones must undergo sensitivy training before he will be allowed to rejoin team activities.

Now that there is a gay player in the league, the homophobic nonsense is over.

Comments

1. This is too much. People cannot express their opinions anymore. It was really a horrible over the top display of gayness. Even if straight people would have done it, it's still in poor taste.

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2014 8:13:19 AM

2. Straight guys kiss their spouses all the time. Grow up troll.

Posted by: Hmm | May 12, 2014 8:16:50 AM

3. Suspension, fine, and re-education camp. There's a saying about killing a fly with a fly-swagger or a bazooka.

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2014 8:17:12 AM

4. Effectively the Miami Dolphins are quasi-punishing this evil bigot Don Jones.

He needs to be sacked permanently from the team and barred for life from playing with an NFL team.

These stupid pigs won't learn tolerance and respect until they know they will be flipping burgers if they are bigoted.

Jones is scum of the earth. I wish a leg injury on him that ends his career.

Posted by: MaryM | May 12, 2014 8:17:53 AM

5. Flyswatter, that is.

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2014 8:18:01 AM

6. @ Mike - you're off base. Would you be allowed to make a racist, misogynistic, or homophobic comment about a fellow employee? Basically, that's what Jones did. Sure they're on different teams, but they're both part of the NFL.

Kissing in public is in poor taste? I guess they need to stop the kiss at the climax of weddings. You said it doesn't matter if it was gay or straight.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 12, 2014 8:19:47 AM

7. Mike,

"It was really a horrible over the top display of gayness"??? Really? Two guys kissing in joy is "horrible"? You're either a homophobic straight person or a self-hating gay person.

Straight people kiss on TV all the time. Hell, what about kiss-cams at ballparks that zero in on straight couples kissing? Somehow, I doubt you have an issue with that.

Posted by: Victor | May 12, 2014 8:21:39 AM

8. I know some of the bitter, pathetic middle-aged queens who hang out at this site aren't going to like this, but Tank thinks that this creep's whole problem is that he is a closet case. Just look at his face and tell me otherwise! Honestly.

Posted by: TANK | May 12, 2014 8:23:12 AM

9. What worries me, between this and the Benham brothers losing their HGTV show, is that we play into the hands of the evangelicals who say their rights are being trampled on, that they can't express their opinions. I worry that at some point, particularly if the Repubs get control of the Senate in November, this may backfire on the LGBT community. I hope not.

Posted by: Larry | May 12, 2014 8:34:26 AM

10. Last line of the article: "Now that there is a gay player in the league..."

Should be corrected to say OPENLY gay player.

Posted by: Chris | May 12, 2014 8:37:31 AM

11. This new way of dealing with homophobes is both really refreshing and very troubling.

Posted by: Tigernan | May 12, 2014 8:39:33 AM

12. I can't understand the logic of professional athletes who put their careers at risk, just so their bigoted "fans" won't think they're okay with gays in the sport. The players are their own worst enemies. They don't need paparazzi and gossip sites -- they toss bits of their own personal business and hatefulness out the window for the wind to carry.

If I was an agent or PR manager for these guys, I would absolutely insist that they delete their Twitter accounts; and if they felt need to have a Facebook 'fan' page, any comments would need to be approved before posting.

Posted by: sparks | May 12, 2014 8:40:23 AM

13. That's a bit premature. There will always be "homophobic nonsense" in the NFL. It will just be more subversive, now.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | May 12, 2014 8:53:28 AM

14. @ Larry, that is exactly what they want, for you to worry about us "uppity queers not knowing our place!" Wasn't that long ago when the word "queers" was another word beginning with the letter "n." It wasn't right then, it isn't right now. I refuse to cower in the shadows.

Posted by: Kenneth | May 12, 2014 8:58:39 AM

15. Shouldn't take an openly gay member to get it under control. But if they finally take it seriously, maybe more will be comfortable enough to come out. I guess it'll also depend on fan reaction.

And ignore MIKE. Don't even respond to the trolls.

Posted by: Will | May 12, 2014 9:00:21 AM

16. Let's not forget that most of these guys- the players- are not rocket scientists.

Posted by: jo | May 12, 2014 9:01:02 AM

17. That guy looks pretty gay to me... And he's anti-gay enough to be a US Politician.

I'll never "know my place" for my detractors. Screw'em. It's a moving target anyway. They'll never be happy with my behavior b/c their motivation is nothing but prejudice. WGAS? They sure don't modify their behavior to try and please me, do they??

Posted by: pete n sfo | May 12, 2014 9:18:28 AM

18. Now that there is a (openly) gay player in the league, the homophobic nonsense is over.

Actually, its only just begun. The litmus test will be how football clubs and the league respond to the inevitable fan chants of homophobic slurs when the visiting Rams defeat other teams in their home stadiums.

Its never easy to criticise your customers. The NFL must be prepared to hold clubs accountable for the actions of their homophobic fans.

Posted by: JoeInToronto | May 12, 2014 9:20:36 AM

19. "People cannot express their opinions anymore. It was really a horrible over the top display of gayness. Even if straight people would have done it, it's still in poor taste."

Everyday of my life I have experienced horrible over-the-top displays of straightness.

Bigotry is never an acceptable 'opinion' to express.

Posted by: JoeInToronto | May 12, 2014 9:26:48 AM

20. He said "OMG" and "horrible". In turn he was suspended and fined. Wow. No one finds the reaction to be a little over the top.

Posted by: Stan Schulz | May 12, 2014 9:41:23 AM

21. This guy is an employee of an NFL team that was involved in a harassment scandal! That scandal involved team members abusing players for their race and sexual orientation.

The Dolphins and other teams can't afford to create a hostile work environment that would lead to another lawsuit or further bad publicity.

The Benham brothers aren't just expressing their religious beliefs, they are also calling for prevention of civil rights for gays and Muslims. Do you think HGTV would put on a show if these jerks said the same thing about Asian Americans and Jews?

Get it?

These are all business decisions that reflect companies want to protect their brand and head off lawsuits from employees.

Posted by: Victor | May 12, 2014 9:44:53 AM

22. @Kenneth, first of all, don't lump me in with the bigots. I never used the words "uppity gays" nor did I condone what Jones did or criticize the punishment. I expressed concern that we may be giving further fuel to the conservative fire that Christians and Catholics are under attack. I'm gay, too, and don't think anyone should hide under a rug.

Posted by: Larry | May 12, 2014 9:45:09 AM

23. @ Stan - it's always good to know what you're talking about. Go here to see all that he tweeted: http://www.towleroad.com/2014/05/ex-nfl-player-upset-michael-sam-kissed-his-boyfriend-on-tv-1.html

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 12, 2014 9:47:53 AM

24. Larry:
    This kind of policy has been in place for years in the NFL. No African American would say it has caused any backlash. I mean punishment for racial prejudice. If they have this policy for racial prejudice, there is no way they can explain why it doesn't extend to anti-gay prejudice.
    In the Sterling case, a lot of players actually demanded for his punishment. Yet we see apologists here who say gays should lay low to avoid backlash. Is it some kind of inferiority complex?

Posted by: simon | May 12, 2014 10:13:43 AM

25. Ignore Log Cabin Stan who doesn't even know how to read what actually happened. Anyway, nice to see that straight black sub-morons won't support gay blacks. Pretty much what I expected. This is why Michael Sam is so important.

Posted by: Robert | May 12, 2014 10:32:35 AM