Football (American) | Michael Sam | News | NFL | Sports

Michael Sam: 'If Someone Disowns You (for Being Gay), Be Part of My Family' - VIDEO

6_sam

Michael Sam appeared this afternoon at a press conference with the St. Louis Rams where he fielded questions about joining the team and making history as the first openly gay player in the NFL.

One of the questions referred to a kid who came out of the closet to his father after Sam was drafted:

"I'm honored that I helped someone to be comfortable with who we are - gave them a little courage to speak to his father. But right now I'm just looking forward to continue on my dream. And if it inspires other people. Hey, I'm with you. And anyone that's not okay with that, like I said earlier, if someone disowns you, be part of my family. I'll welcome you. Ram up!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well done Michael. I know you just saved several LGBT youth from hurting themselves with your words.

Posted by: Stefan | May 13, 2014 8:42:20 PM

2. Recruitment! He's recruiting your children! This is why gays can't be allowed in NFL lockerrooms!

Posted by: Rick | May 13, 2014 8:44:27 PM

3. Change is here.

Posted by: Josh | May 13, 2014 8:50:57 PM

4. Seriously, like the sweetest guy, what "star" has said such things after coming out?

Posted by: Patrick | May 13, 2014 8:53:18 PM

5. Thank you Michael for being a great human being.

Posted by: ernest | May 13, 2014 9:01:00 PM

6. Thank you Michael for being an awesome human being.

Posted by: ernest | May 13, 2014 9:01:53 PM

7. Micheal this is just the beginning and your voice and decision to come out will lead the watershed of all kinds of athletes taking that step to tell their truth and yes, come out and embrace it. Thank you Michael Sam you are awesome -major good luck to you and your new family!

Posted by: Troy | May 13, 2014 9:02:34 PM

8. that's right! thank you for callin' out the meanness, michael!!

Posted by: woody | May 13, 2014 9:04:06 PM

9. Isn't he wonderful?

Posted by: petey | May 13, 2014 9:50:22 PM

10. So much hate from that prick, and an African-American to boot. If he could the prick would probably kill Michael Sam he was so hateful and bigoted. Our community really needs to start hitting back with force against these homophobes! How outrageous to state that Michael Sam kissed his boyfriend for some kind of publicity stunt. You could just feel the hate and bigotry ooze out that piece of poor excuse of a human being. And yet they allow them a national media platform. Where are the progressive Christian groups - no where as usual. Where is the LGBT leadership!?

Posted by: RK | May 13, 2014 10:04:15 PM

11. Amazing man!!

Posted by: Tim | May 13, 2014 10:12:27 PM

12. This guy is too cool. And such a cute couple!

Posted by: Phil | May 13, 2014 10:27:44 PM

13. omg I love him, but in a totally real way. Looking forward to his season with the Rams !

Posted by: Here | May 13, 2014 10:45:56 PM

14. Good for him!

Posted by: Honesty | May 13, 2014 11:26:17 PM

15. Muscles and articulate, good spokesperson for the gay agenda.

So much for the stereotype of the weak, ineffectual, effeminate gay man.

Posted by: james street james | May 14, 2014 12:49:56 AM

16. Wow, very impressive. Such poise and confidence! Good luck Michael.

Posted by: Jim | May 14, 2014 12:54:04 AM

17. He has Jackie O eyes. He'll go far.

Posted by: steve talbert | May 14, 2014 6:36:03 AM

18. What's not to like? Heck, I EVEN like his name somehow . . .

Posted by: Mike | May 14, 2014 11:15:37 AM

19. Lol MIKE! I still call him Sam! But then Mike! Argggh, 2 first names!

RK, I can't even comment. + 100000 on your post.

Posted by: Rowan | May 14, 2014 11:32:42 AM

20. To RK's point - when there was discussion in Ontario about a more LGBT-inclusive curriculum being introduced in the public school system, do you know who was invited to talk about it on two news networks? My mother and I, of all people. On one network, each. Because the news networks up in Canadialand have already figured out the "the bigoted hateful side" is not actually a valid side of *worth* whose opinions should count. You don't ask a Klansman their thoughts on Black History Month or Holocaust memorials - and yet the US still has networks that bring on an unrepentant bigot, who spews baseless and fallacious bigotry, as if it's 'representing a fair other side'

it ain't. truth is SINGULAR.

Michael Sam is proving to be a wonderful vanguard, and it's high time the US news media stopped giving airtime to irrational bigots whose chosen "opinions" exist without any intellectual back up.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 14, 2014 11:45:45 AM