News: Macklemore, 9/11 Museum, Johnny Weir, Lancetfish, Kimye

RoadWas Anne of Green Gables queer?

RoadThe 9/11 museum gift shop has made some questionable choices.

RoadWhere's the outrage from gay groups and Brunei boycotters about the TransPacific Partnership?

JacksonRoadOh look, it's the ghost of Michael Jackson.

RoadJohnny Weir allegedly bloodied his husband again.

RoadLarry Kramer schooled Mark Ruffalo: "He was testing me," the 46-year-old actor said with the sort of sheepish smile that hindsight affords. "And I remember just feeling a sense of fear in that moment."

RoadA history of LGBT video game characters.

RoadHashtag, Selfie, and Tweep are joining the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary along with Crowdfunding, big data, gamification, catfish, and steampunk.

RoadMacklemore apologizes for offensive Jewish stereotype costume.

RoadOut in the Field: Bingham Cup launches study of discrimination in sports. "Andrew Purchas, president of the Bingham Cup Sydney 2014, said the study will look at the prevalence and forms of discrimination among athletes and fans. Experts from Brunel University in Britain, Pennsylvania State University and the University of Massachusetts in the United States, Laval University and the University of Winnipeg in Canada, and Victoria University in Australia will compare the data gathered across a range of countries."

RoadJake Gyllenhaal finally shaved.

RoadRyan Gosling looking all the movie star at Cannes.

UrieRoadMichael Urie and his real-life partner Ryan Spahn are doing a reading of Jonathan Tolins' comedy The Last Sunday in June.

RoadAlan Turing public artwork commissioned by Buckinghamshire, UK nightclub: "The owners of the Watling Street lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) venue, near Bletchley Park, said they had spent several thousand pounds on the 'street tribute'."

RoadAustria's schools to reissue grade transcripts to trans students with proper gender. "Gabriele Heinisch-Hosek said Wednesday the measure is meant to lessen the likelihood of discrimination when the transcripts are included in job applications. Such requests previously had to be approved by the education ministry, which slowed and complicated the process."

RoadAMC drama Halt and Catch Fire will be the first show to premiere on Tumblr.

RoadIsrael changes laws for gender reassignment: "Israel has lowered the minimum age for gender reassignment surgery from 21 to 18, and candidates will only have to prove they have lived for one year as the requested gender identity, instead of two years, Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper, reports."

RoadMale model fix: Brandon Lipchik.

RoadKim Kardashian and Kanye West denied permission to marry at Versailles.

2_lancetfishRoadA deep water cannibalistic lancetfish turned up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

RoadClay Aiken on his candidacy: "You know, you've got to get people to see me in a different light. Getting the opportunity to talk to people about the issues that are affecting them and talk about how I want to help people, gets people to see me in a different light. It's a blessing in the fact that it gets me in the room, but I have to overcome the fact that people see me in one way and not the other."

CRoadonchita Wurst did her first concert since winning Eurovision: "She was greeted by thousands of fans, including gay couples. Many waved rainbow flags or wore fake beards."

RoadChinese court takes up case on gay conversion therapy for first time: "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights Advocacy China, an organization that operates without government supervision in the nation’s capital, said that a man is suing Xinyu Piaoxiang, a clinic in the southern metropolis of Chongqing that offers 'gay conversion' hypnosis, along with Baidu, a Google-like Web service where the procedure was advertised."

Comments

1. Conchita Wurst is a sad and confused individual who makes a mockery of the lives modern gay men lead. He is doing more harm than good and the amount of praise he is getting disgusts me. Simply awful, hurtful and tired.

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 3:52:52 PM

2. Hateful anti-trans nonsense from Rick. No surprise.

Posted by: Mikey | May 20, 2014 4:01:13 PM

3. There is nothing on the page reached via the lancetfish link about the fish being cannibalistic.

Posted by: jimstoic | May 20, 2014 4:03:04 PM

4. I hate Conchita because my dad hated me. So it's Conchita's fault that my dad didn't love me.

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 4:03:21 PM

5. Kiwi, stop impersonating me. That's my technique. Furthermore, my father was a saint and I'll have you know that my he didn't hate me for being gay. He hated me for being a coward. However, my mother hated me for being gay. She also hated me for hogging my fathers genitals and for being prettier than her. My anal leakage that you refer to elsewhere is a serious problem and had more to do with my activities with live stock than it did with my sexual transgressions with my father.

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 4:11:47 PM

6. @Jimstoic, it's not totally cannibalistic as a way of life, but has been observed to be so.

Posted by: Vera | May 20, 2014 4:12:59 PM

7. Thank you, Real Rick for correcting that Other Fake Rick. We Ricks need to stick together, and for the record i use a combination of Depends undergarments and Always panty-liners with Wings!

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 4:14:45 PM

8. Real Rick, that sounds like a good combo. It should really keep the feces from reaching my khaki shorts. I wish there was a way to keep the smell at bay.

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 4:19:49 PM

9. My father still hates me.

Posted by: RICK | May 20, 2014 4:23:51 PM

10. Excuse me, but I'm the real Rick.

Posted by: Hacker | May 20, 2014 4:24:08 PM

11. Towleroad comments are getting more and more surreal.

Posted by: darbari | May 20, 2014 4:59:15 PM

12. None of the comments in the thread above are from me, the "real" Rick. Obviously, Little Kiwi has gone off the deep end with his impersonations today.

The one comment I do have on this blog entry, though, is that Johnny Weir's bhavior in his relationship demonstrates precisely what one expects from effeminate gay men--who are incapable of truly loving a man or thinking of a man as anything other than a posession and/or a vehicle for sexual gratification.....even as they glorify and worship women. The essence of their being is their hatred and fear of their own gender and that is why they are so bitterly unhappy.......all of them, including both Little Kiwi and Johnny Weir.

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 5:58:36 PM

13. Johnny Weir is an immature selfish jerk.

Posted by: anon | May 20, 2014 7:27:50 PM

14. The essence of my being is hating women, openly gay men and anything to do with effeminacy. Also trolling. I'm a major troll.

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 8:08:23 PM

15. Hi, is this the 2014 Rickonvention?

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 11:07:37 PM

16. What's amusing is I think Macklemore is such an idiot that he truly did not have any idea that a dark exaggerated head of hair with a beard and a huge hook nose is indeed a Jewish stereotype. I buy his excuse, "I'm just stupid".

Posted by: MIke | May 20, 2014 11:31:39 PM

17. "Catfish" isn't already in the dictionary?

Posted by: Craig | May 20, 2014 11:33:59 PM

18. 9/11 Gift Shop and Café: sickening. A triumph of the worst of America, but hey, I've heard there's a café at Buchenwald (or similar).

Posted by: DavidR | May 20, 2014 11:41:26 PM