News: Chelsea Hotel, Pittsburgh, One Direction, Wisconsin

RoadBangor Daily News: Maine's battle with NOM is worth it.

RoadCristiano Ronaldo puts on shirtless show in Champions League celebration.

ChelseaRoadNYC's iconic Chelsea Hotel to become boutique part of boutique chain: "Behind its wrought-iron balconies, an artistic who’s who accomplished their triumphs and travesties: Dylan Thomas drank, Andy Warhol filmed, William Burroughs wrote, and Sex Pistols guitarist Sid Vicious stabbed his girlfriend Nancy Spungen to death."

RoadVIDEO: One Direction's Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson get high in a van.

RoadFlying saw blade from construction site in Hell's Kitchen hits pedestrian. Here's surveillance video.

RoadPittsburgh mayor to marry gay couples in June: "Mayor Bill Peduto said in a statement Tuesday that he would be 'thrilled to make the marriage of a LGBT couple' the first he officiates as mayor, 'and being able to share that moment with many others should make for an even more joyous celebration.' He plans to marry as many as 20 same-sex couples June 15 in downtown Pittsburgh as part of Pittsburgh PrideFest activities."

RoadChris Pine on facial hair: “I really like the ritual of shaving. I like getting the perfect brush and finding the right sandalwood soap. The act of shaving, though, is not fun. I like beards and the ease of them."

RoadWolverine is looking fit and bearded in Tokyo.

IncredibeardRoadAn Incredibeard success story.

RoadLas Vegas betting on gays: “Vegas has done an incredible job at marketing themselves to the gay community,” says David Paisley, senior research director at Community Marketing. “They’ve spent far more money on LGBT media than any other gay destination out there.”

RoadOut gay Pennsylvania Republican Mike Fleck loses GOP primary but will remain on the ballot as a Democrat.

RoadWestboro Baptist Church targets D.C.'s Wilson High School, which is holding a Pride Day next month: "The second annual lunchtime festival will bring together more than 20 community organizations and government agencies that offer support and services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. Last year, students signed pledges to respect their LGBTQ colleagues, and Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) showed up to demonstrate his support."

RoadLISTEN: O-Town releases first single in 10 years.

CRoadan Lance Bass convince Lisa Vanderpump to stay?

CageRoad5 immigrant rights protesters arrested after shutting down intersection in Santa Ana, California: "Calling on Santa Ana to end its jail contract with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), trans and queer immigrant activists shut down an intersection in the city yesterday morning. A symbolic cage set up on Civic Center Drive and Boyd Way housed those who staged civil disobedience as part of the action."

RoadNOM allies produce disgusting video linking marriage equality to slavery, racism, segregation.

RoadTrailer: River Phoenix's last, unfinished film Dark Blood.

RoadWisconsin Supreme Court rejects challenge to gay marriage law without comment: "A Milwaukee County couple, Katherine and Linda Halopka-Ivery, asked the high court to directly hear their lawsuit, which claimed Wisconsin was violating the U.S. Constitution by limiting marriage to one man and one woman." Meanwhile, the nation awaits a separate pending ruling...

Comments

1. Ronaldo is a nasty closeted filth!

Posted by: litper | May 28, 2014 3:51:52 PM

2. Wow. It's something when you start remembering sh.t. Something sparked my memory concerning the news story about the Chelsea Hotel. Then I remembered the 1970's PBS special about the Loud family from California (An American Family, it was called). They had a son named Lance. I believe he was the first OPENLY Gay person that I had ever seen on television.

I mean, I saw Truman Copote, Liberaci and Little Richard, and Tennessee Williams but Lance was OPENLY GAY.

I just googled his name to make sure I knew what I was talking about. Yep, Lance Loud.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 28, 2014 4:01:41 PM

3. Let's get it right, Sid Vicious was the Bass player, and chances that he actually killed Nancy are very slim.

Posted by: Martin | May 28, 2014 5:02:29 PM

4. Sit down, Litper.

Posted by: Mikey | May 28, 2014 5:09:48 PM

5. "Las Vegas betting on gays..."

Does anyone know what the status of gay marriage is in Vegas? Shouldn't we have the right to get married there since they have "drive through" weddings, etc.?

Posted by: Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman in 2016 | May 28, 2014 5:20:22 PM

6. I watched Dark Blood at a festival and I have to say I wasn't that impressed with it. Phoenix is brilliant. He always is. But the film is missing large chunks of it. It's interesting as a historical document, but it's not really a complete experience.

Posted by: Paideia | May 28, 2014 6:15:13 PM

7. I just don't get why the picture of the Chelsea hotel needed any photoshop.

Posted by: Kurtis Edwards | May 28, 2014 6:38:37 PM

8. If Las Vegas is so great at marketing to gays, why can't I name anything gay-related? The gay scene in Vegas is not very good. there aren't many gay bars.

Posted by: Lucas | May 28, 2014 8:57:09 PM

9. You did see Liberace indeed but he pretty much blinded you with his outrageous flamboyance (ugh)....
    And that's how you ended up seeing the double. Hence the "Liberaci"!!! LOL

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 29, 2014 2:13:37 AM

10. You did see Liberace indeed but he pretty much blinded you with his outrageous flamboyance (ugh)....
    And that's how you ended up seeing the double. Hence the "Liberaci"!!! LOL

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 29, 2014 2:13:44 AM

11. You did see Liberace indeed but he pretty much blinded you with his outrageous flamboyance (ugh)....
    And that's how you ended up seeing the double. Hence the "Liberaci"!!! LOL

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 29, 2014 2:16:23 AM

12. BTW I didn't know that Lance Loud was in Tales of the City (the first series). I should check that out again.

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 29, 2014 2:44:57 AM

13. @ IBNAN$YESU,

thank you for correcting my spelling of Liberace's name (I've always said I was a lousy speller).

But I forgot to mention why the news story about the Chelsea Hotel made me think of Lance Loud.

For the younger visitors to Towleroad: when the 1973 PBS series followed the Loud family, Lance Loud moved to New York City. When he got there that's where he stayed...at the Chelsea.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 29, 2014 10:27:13 AM

14. You left out Lance Loud from the Chelsea list. I knew Lance, and saw him in NYC and Los Angeles. Lance is a guest at a dinner in "Tales of The City." He inspired me to come out. In person he was so handsome.

That beard is whacked. Perfect depiction of today's nowhere gay culture.

Posted by: Gary Bebout | May 29, 2014 11:24:34 AM

15. Las Vegas and the Gays

I didn't know the number of Gay bars was a determination of how Gay friendly a city was. Here in Las Vegas, there are Gay bars scattered all throughout the community. There are only two areas where some bars are clustered, Commercial Center on Sahara near the Strip, and the "Fruit Loop" near the Hard Rock. Other than that, clubs and bars are located all over.

On the Strip itself we have Krave nightclub located across from the Monte Carlo. Drai's is opening another club at Bally's this year. The Luxor markets to Gays and holds Gay pool parties on Sundays. Just because there is not a Bay bar on every other corner doesn't mean there is no Gay nightlife.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitor Authority, Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce, Las Vegas Wedding chapels, and most major Gaming companies would love to get legalized Same Sex Marriage in Nevada. There are pending court cases which will be heard later this year. Remember, 99 percent of Nevada is rural. Las Vegas is an island in a conservative wilderness. Change is coming.

Posted by: Vegas Dave | May 29, 2014 12:23:58 PM

16. Vegas Dave speaks accurately.

However, it is clear that gay marriage is still a ways away (and blaming the rest of the unpopulated state seems strange).

It is quite true that most of the casinos are owned by extreme right-wing billionaires who want nothing to do with the gay community. (They'll be happy to take your money, though.)

It seems that Las Vegas is a place to avoid until gay marriage passes. (New Orleans has similar issues...and Louisiana is a much more backward state...)

Posted by: TonyJazz | May 29, 2014 3:02:03 PM