News | Ohio

Ohio Teen Gives 89-Year-Old Great Grandma the Prom Experience She Missed as a Youth: VIDEO

Grandma

Austin Dennison, a student at Ohio’s Parkway High School, a volunteer firefighter, Eagle Scout and aspiring doctor, is making headlines for his prom date this year.

The NY Daily News reports:

How could 89-year-old Delores Dennison say no to such a dreamboat — her great-grandson?

She tried to say no, but told Fox News that Austin insisted: “Are you sure that you wouldn’t like to take one of the young ladies who could get out there and do everything with you?”

It’s been more than seven decades since Dennison attended high school in West Virginia, but she never went to prom.

Adds the Times Bulletin:

Dennison said his great grandmother went shopping for a special dress for the prom. The day before the prom, he purchased her a pearl necklace. Before the prom, he played his guitar and sang the song, ”Iris,” to her. Prior to the event, Dennison took his grandmother to Bob Evans in Celina (one of her favorite restaurants) for supper. Then they returned to Parkway High School to have their pictures taken for the prom. At the promenade, Dennison and his grandmother took the short cut through the balloons to take their place.

“She is so funny. She was hitting the balloons with her cane,” observed Dennison. “She is really neat.

“When the music started to play, we danced on the floor,” continued Dennison. “They played the Frank Sinatra song, ‘I love the kisses of Delores.’ Her husband (Edward) used to sing that song to her. There was a standing ovation when we came out.”

Watch a highlight reel of their night, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Didn't go to my Senior Prom either.

Posted by: Patrick | May 3, 2014 6:09:34 PM

2. I didn't go to any of my proms and I don't regret it one bit. I did think this was incredibly sweet though.

Posted by: Cake | May 3, 2014 7:19:39 PM

3. Freaking awesome - what a fantastic great grandson. Makes me miss my wonderful Grandmother even more...

Posted by: Tre | May 3, 2014 7:22:47 PM

4. What an incredible young man he is. He will go far in life with kindness and caring as a guide.

Posted by: Bubba | May 3, 2014 7:25:44 PM

5. I'm happy for both of them! One of the best New Year's Eve parties I ever attended was when I was in my early twenties, and I attended a party held by some friends. Their great-grandmother was there from upstate New York, and we spent the whole night sitting together in the dining room drinking Scotch. We both had a blast, and both had hangovers the next morning. If it hadn't been for her, I would have completely forgotten that party, but, because of her, I remember that party almost forty years later.

We are so weird about age in the US. I read an article where a guy in his eighties complained that everyone ignored him. He would be at a table of people discussing a subject, and he would make a comment, and the whole table would just completely ignore him. He compared notes with friends that were also in their eighties, and found that they all had the same experience. The amazing thing was, they even found this was true if they were at a table of people in their sixties and seventies. So if you take a table of people in their sixties and seventies, and throw in someone older, the older person gets completely ignored.

Posted by: Mike | May 3, 2014 7:27:32 PM

6. You feel better about the future of the world when you read things like this.

Posted by: Jason MacBride | May 3, 2014 8:28:30 PM

7. What an outstanding young man. He is indeed a tribute to his parents, grandparents and his amazing great grandma. Maybe we're not doomed after all if we have young people like this. We MUST as a society start listening and learning from our older generation for they are there for us to tap their wisdom and experience.

Posted by: I wont grow up | May 3, 2014 8:44:49 PM

8. It's the classic Midwest prom in the gym.

OK, but why here at TR? Are we thinking he's coming out next?

Posted by: emjayay | May 3, 2014 10:12:11 PM

9. Andy posts a lot of things that aren't "gay", like his stuff about science, it's why I like this place.

Posted by: Henry Holland | May 3, 2014 11:04:49 PM

10. What a excellent young man!

The type of a guy you would love to take home to meet the parents!

Posted by: GaryJ | May 4, 2014 2:54:29 AM

11. How beautiful. I'm getting married this year and my mom will dance with me.

Posted by: Tom | May 4, 2014 12:09:55 PM