News | North Dakota | Tornado | weather

North Dakota Man Captures Incredible Close Call with Tornado: VIDEO

Tornado

Dan Yorgason of Watford, North Dakota had an incredibly close call with a tornado on Monday and lived to post a YouTube video of it.

Writes Yorgason: "Warning - STRONG LANGUAGE! We were afraid for our lives, so, yes, we swore. A lot. You have been warned!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think I can see Dorothy.

Posted by: jeffg166 | May 27, 2014 12:49:13 PM

2. I hope Pat Robertson sees this and realizes that it is the middle-finger of "God" pissed off that North Dakota is the only state left without marriage equality on it's docket.

Posted by: Robertliness | May 27, 2014 12:54:53 PM

3. ND: it has tornadoes because it's flat and it's flat because it has tornadoes.

Posted by: anon | May 27, 2014 1:25:29 PM

4. Jumping into a car when the tornado is already upon you is really, really risky. I'm glad it worked out for them.

Posted by: Mike | May 27, 2014 1:40:51 PM

5. Obviously the land of the inbred. Jacka$$ mentality. Anyone who can laugh at destruction and possibly death is not in their right mind. Not to mention the lack of a basic instinct to survive.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | May 27, 2014 1:53:51 PM

6. Those idiots! I would have had my foot pressed down so hard on that gas pedal my toenails would have been scraping the highway.

Posted by: Jack M | May 27, 2014 1:54:08 PM

7. That was a pretty good video. They came from a trailer park with no trees. Nuf said.

Posted by: zeddy | May 27, 2014 2:01:16 PM

8. Idiots. You don't get IN the vehicle... you get UNDER the vehicle (Tornado Safety 101).

Posted by: Eric Payne | May 27, 2014 2:22:05 PM

9. I figured, when I saw all the brand new trailers, that this place was part of the oil boom in ND. Sure enough:

Of course, making the people who build these camps provide tornado shelters would be "socialist".

Posted by: BobN | May 27, 2014 3:12:49 PM

10. They're so lucky that it was such a weak tornado. More proof that one difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Posted by: SeattleMike | May 27, 2014 3:17:27 PM

11. More giant dust devil than true tornado.

Posted by: anon | May 27, 2014 4:10:53 PM

12. These dudes are crazy

Posted by: jarago | May 27, 2014 6:04:46 PM

13. One can easily outrun a tornado in a car. I grew up in Nebraska and my father did it twice while driving on country roads. This was back in the 50s.

Tornadoes are fascinating to watch...from a distance and they travel at maximum maybe 30 mph.

I was a bit shocked to see how blasé these guys seemed to be in a place where tornadoes are pretty common.

Posted by: Kevin Roddy | May 27, 2014 9:23:57 PM

14. Much easier to stalk tornado when your stoned. Just sayin'

Posted by: Fred L | May 27, 2014 10:20:16 PM

15. Tornadoes average 30 mph, but many have been tracked at up to 70 mph. And they're only easy to outrun if you know which way they're headed, and they don't shift direction--and when a good escape route is available. If I had a choice of in or out of the truck, I'd choose in, since head injuries are the most common cause of death (but I'd get down in the truck, strap myself in, and guard against debris). Getting under a vehicle risks it being rolled over you, or being hit with debris.

Posted by: Ronny | May 28, 2014 12:16:56 AM