Advertising | Allstate | Eli Lieb | Gay Pride | News

Allstate Releases Gorgeous, Emotional Ad Featuring Gay Couple: VIDEO

Allstate

Last year Allstate launched an LGBT print ad campaign with the slogan "Being visible should never leave you feeling vulnerable" which featured a gay couple holding hands.

This year they have expanded that campaign to include a stunning animated film set to "Safe in My Hands," a new single from out singer-songwriter Eli Lieb.

Says Allstate on the campaign's page: “We believe everyone should be treated with respect and without judgment no matter who they love.”

It's well worth a minute and a half of your time today.

Check out the beautiful ad, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_allstate

Comments

1. Eli Lieb is so talented. Loved the song.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 14, 2014 12:37:42 PM

2. I really like that. And I really like Lieb's voice.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jun 14, 2014 12:39:07 PM

3. Guys we are getting there, acceptance, tolerance, equal rights. Call me a sap, but I think its great.

Posted by: puggleboy | Jun 14, 2014 12:42:27 PM

4. #GORGEOUS.

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 14, 2014 1:22:23 PM

5. Well done Allstate. I will be looking into getting my policies transferred over to you. It's great to see the support and even better to see two guys holding hands in a commercial. Progress Baby!

Posted by: sparklekittens | Jun 14, 2014 1:27:59 PM

6. Someone please forward this beautiful commercial to the million moms. I look forward to the day when the moms are unable to step inside a mall without patronizing a business that promotes acceptance.

Posted by: Arbogast | Jun 14, 2014 2:15:38 PM

7. I'm usually indifferent toward ads like these, but this one was great.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 14, 2014 2:19:47 PM

8. Powerful. Beautifully done!

Posted by: Tom | Jun 14, 2014 2:23:38 PM

9. OK. It's the thought that counts. I really don't see what having a giant right hand--which kind of by definition makes you a freak of nature--has to do with something as natural, normal, and good as being gay. The freaks are the people who hate us. There's some sort well-intentioned symbolism going on here, so let it pass. Thanks for trying, Allstate.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 14, 2014 3:05:53 PM

10. It was fine. I wouldn't say gorgeous and emotional. If this were a straight couple it would be almost trite. I think we gay men as so hungry for positive "life-affirming" images of ourselves that we call anything in that direction an emotional powerhouse and dig out all the superlatives.

Posted by: will | Jun 14, 2014 3:24:12 PM

11. As you said Andy, it was well worth a minute and a half of our time to see something which a few short years ago was simply unthinkable.

Evil to anyone who thinks evil of this.

@ JIM : aren't you being a bit literal ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 14, 2014 3:29:56 PM

12. Jim, I don't think the giant hand was meant to imply freakdom. It was meant to imply visibility. It was a coming our statement. As gay folks, people often can't tell we're gay unless we wear it on our sleeves. As you must have noticed, when the animation morphed into live footage, the guys' hands were in proportion.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 14, 2014 3:44:55 PM

13. Does Allstate give "married" rates to married gay couples; particularly gay male couples? I surprised at how many couples score 100% on HRC's equality index because they offer equal benefits to their employees even though they DON'T offer equal benefits to their customers. I don't know if Allstate falls into this category, but it's worth looking into.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 14, 2014 3:49:11 PM

14. great. love the little fag who can't play American baseball and then meets up with his future ex lover at an art museum.

Part II will be the bashing that occurs in the park around the corner and discounts on life insurance and long term disability... LOL

Posted by: Steve Talbert | Jun 14, 2014 3:50:44 PM

15. now I'm worried that people are looking at my hands. Thankfully I am not a size queen.

Posted by: Steve Talbert | Jun 14, 2014 3:52:04 PM

16. that was great

Posted by: Honesty | Jun 14, 2014 4:31:29 PM

17. The hands are an incredibly lovely metaphor here. Works perfectly and ties in with Allstate's corporate branding "The Good Hands People." This is a really brilliant bit of niche advertising.

Only minor negative is the use of LGBT. There is no such thing as LGBT and there are no transgenders in this ad.

Posted by: Hank | Jun 14, 2014 4:31:38 PM

18. Nice ad, and thanks to Allstate for its campaign, but I noticed my insurance company (State Farm)has a 95 rating at HRC's Equality Index and Allstate isn't even listed? I appreciate the ad but won't be switching companies just because of it.

Posted by: NoH8 | Jun 14, 2014 5:42:43 PM

19. I guess it was just me who thought . . . big hand means big _____.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 14, 2014 5:49:45 PM

20. @ NOH8 - Allstate is listed at 85. Now I can't find my insurer which is Farmers. However, they treated my husband and me as married since 2004.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 14, 2014 6:48:17 PM

21. Very moving. Love the symbolism of the big, visible hand being totally harmless...and just looking for another hand.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 14, 2014 6:55:10 PM

22. @TAMPAZEKE et al -- If you are legally married, Allstate and any other national business will treat you as married. However, some of their independent agents in some States may not be hospitable to you. If that happens, rat them out to the national headquarters.

Posted by: Bob K | Jun 14, 2014 6:56:44 PM

23. Great commercial.

Posted by: Jon | Jun 14, 2014 7:19:42 PM

24. The hands thing was weird and it made me feel uncomfortable. It's not the recognition or respect I'm looking for. I'm not a freak, and, actually, strangers like me. Just feels like it's trying way, way, way too hard.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 14, 2014 7:40:18 PM

25. By the way, guys, if you go to http://lgbt.allstateonline.com, you can get a free copy of the song in the video (and a remix, if that's your thing).

Posted by: Mike | Jun 14, 2014 7:43:56 PM