Film | Gay Marriage | News

'Father of the Bride 3' to Feature Gay Wedding

Fatherofthebride

Father of the Bride 3, for which Steve Martin will return if negotiations prove successful, will feature a gay plot, Nikki Finke reports:

The twist in this threequel is that Little Matty is now 29 and gay and getting married to a Navy SEAL’s son.  Father of the bride George is "thunderstruck and speechless" and has problems with the whole gay thing. So wife Nina kicks him out of the house, according to the pitch which Disney loved. Shyer is writing it with Marc Klein, David Hoberman producing again. "It’s a timely idea," my source said. "I told Charles I just hope it goes forward before gay stops trending…"

Comments

1. Gay will never stop "trending" #gay

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 16, 2014 3:11:20 PM

2. A movie called "Father of the Bride" is about two men getting married?

Way to reinforce terrible stereotypes, Disney.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 16, 2014 3:19:03 PM

3. It's clever enough. Though he does bring up a great point that eventually being Gay won't be as trendy, fashionable or edgy as it is at the moment.

Posted by: Vera | Jun 16, 2014 3:27:25 PM

4. Crispy, it's a movie that right now is conceptually called "Father of the Bride 3," though it's so far into preproduction that it may end up with a different title. And een if it doesn't get one, it's the second sequel to a film called "Father of the Bride," which was about a heterosexual wedding. I believe that's addressed in the article.

Or was that sarcastic outrage? I'm never sure.

Posted by: dekkoparsnip | Jun 16, 2014 3:31:29 PM

5. Any word if Kieran Culkin will reprise his role as Matty?

Posted by: Matthew C. | Jun 16, 2014 3:32:57 PM

6. Crispy just types to type.

Posted by: will | Jun 16, 2014 3:33:35 PM

7. It will undoubtedly be called Father of the Groom. I can't imagine they'll keep Bride in the title. Unless it's "Bridegroom."

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | Jun 16, 2014 3:34:47 PM

8. They'll call it _Father of the Groom_
    Easy fix.

Posted by: unruly | Jun 16, 2014 3:35:26 PM

9. Father of the Bride?

another fix, lol.

Posted by: Qj201 | Jun 16, 2014 3:39:27 PM

10. "it's so far into preproduction that it may end up with a different title"

Rank speculation. What evidence do you have to support this?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 16, 2014 3:40:22 PM

11. "Crispy just types to type."

Funny. Will, is it? Strange, I can't say I've ever noticed your name on this site.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 16, 2014 3:41:41 PM

12. Well, the original sequel of the original 1950 film was actually "Father's Little Dividend" -- but when the remakes were released, Hollywood didn't trust the audience to make the connection.

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 16, 2014 3:44:36 PM

13. @CRISPY Actually there are a couple Wills on this site. I’m not the same one who responded to you earlier but I agree with DEKKOPARSNIP; I don’t think the title is meant to be offensive. The title is a known brand and it would be hard to give up that name recognition.

Posted by: Will | Jun 16, 2014 3:58:27 PM

14. Take a seat, Crispy.

Posted by: Mikey M | Jun 16, 2014 4:05:00 PM

15. Ya know...I think this might be kinda cool. It's not going to be cutting edge queer cinema, but it might be fun and sweet if they do it right. And Steve Martin is usually good for a laugh or two. I can see it appealing to the Modern Family loving conservative but pro-gay crowd.

Posted by: brandon h | Jun 16, 2014 4:08:41 PM

16. This must be the same crowd that thought 'I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry' was "hilariously topical" and "Adam Sandler at his funniest."

Posted by: crispy | Jun 16, 2014 4:11:07 PM

17. CRISPY: Father of the Bride with Bride crossed out and Groom written over top of it. That way the franchise still gets mentioned and sensitive boys like you don't get all offended. End of story. Take a pill Mary.

Posted by: MATTROCKS | Jun 16, 2014 4:16:54 PM

18. Oh, please. The film may never get produced.

It would be cute to have an interracial couple. You know, Chris Brown and Justin Beiber . That'd be cute, wouldn't it?

Just no violence, please.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 16, 2014 4:20:54 PM

19. good one Mattrocks!

Posted by: mak136 | Jun 16, 2014 4:21:46 PM

20. "Justin BIEBER"

I hate trying to spell.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 16, 2014 4:23:43 PM

21. I think it sounds hilarious. I love Steve Martin. I loved the first two movies.
    I just can't believe they're that old! yikes.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 16, 2014 4:23:47 PM

22. Hmmm ok the last film had the horrifying screaming queen wedding planners- will they be back too? And the movie should be called "Father of the Groom"

Posted by: jarago | Jun 16, 2014 5:12:13 PM

23. Yes bring back Martin Short as Fhraank"

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 16, 2014 5:20:28 PM

24. and bring back BD Wong.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 16, 2014 5:25:53 PM

25. Can anybody fathom just how BAD this is going to be?

Posted by: I wont grow up | Jun 16, 2014 6:32:11 PM