Brian Schweitzer | Eric Cantor | News

Former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer: Eric Cantor Sets Off My 'Gaydar'

Fromer Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer says Eric Cantor sets off his 'gaydar', the HuffPost reports:

Eric_cantorJournalist Marin Cogan, who profiled Schweitzer in National Journal, phoned the former governor on the evening of Cantor's stunning defeat in the Virginia GOP primary this month. Though Cogan's article doesn't say whether Schweitzer commented on Cantor's election loss, he did share his thoughts on Cantor's sexuality.

"Don't hold this against me, but I'm going to blurt it out," Schweitzer is quoted as saying. "How do I say this ... men in the South, they are a little effeminate. They just have effeminate mannerisms. If you were just a regular person, you turned on the TV, and you saw Eric Cantor talking, I would say -- and I'm fine with gay people, that's all right -- but my gaydar is 60-70 percent. But he's not, I think, so I don't know. Again, I couldn't care less. I'm accepting."

Comments

1. So accepting that he felt a need to point it out, and treat it like an insult. Whatever.

Posted by: LiamB | Jun 19, 2014 8:58:09 AM

2. I hope not.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 19, 2014 9:04:07 AM

3. Add Lindsey Graham as another one.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 19, 2014 9:07:11 AM

4. #straightpeopleappropriatinggayculture.

It's not called Gaydar if you're straight. That's called a "witch hunt."

Posted by: Kieran | Jun 19, 2014 9:07:20 AM

5. We should veto his pointless prejudice.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 19, 2014 9:10:58 AM

6. I've never heard Eric Cantor talk actually, so I checked out an old 60 Minutes interview with him. I'm going with Schweitzer on this one. Cantor sounds like prancing televangelist...not unlike Ernst Angsley.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 19, 2014 9:18:13 AM

7. Rather "like Ernest Angley"

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 19, 2014 9:19:15 AM

8. The guy is a democrat, fairly pro-gay, and was just trying to make a joke.

Posted by: will | Jun 19, 2014 9:20:20 AM

9. We don't want him, thanks!

Posted by: sjorgl | Jun 19, 2014 9:21:11 AM

10. He's a liberal shill who thinks gays are swishy. Move along, he's forgiven and can rejoin the MSNBC panel.

Posted by: MIke | Jun 19, 2014 9:22:06 AM

11. He's fine with gay marriage, too.

Posted by: will | Jun 19, 2014 9:22:26 AM

12. BTW, we know what Eric Cantor looks like. Why not a picture of this rather clownish fat man baffoon?

Posted by: MIke | Jun 19, 2014 9:24:23 AM

13. eric cantor pings my gaydar.
    but his politics make him repulsive.

do you think when he stops being majority leader his soul will return to his body?

Posted by: verbocity eric | Jun 19, 2014 9:54:23 AM

14. My issue here is actually with his use of "regular person." In contrast to what? Gay (i.e., "irregular") person? I'm glad he's all "accepting" and whatever, but maybe he should stay away from the jokes. And the microphone.

Posted by: Kit | Jun 19, 2014 9:55:08 AM

15. What an idiot.

Posted by: Perry | Jun 19, 2014 10:25:16 AM

16. I've ALWAYS said that Cantor represents the worst intersection of Southern Mama's Boy and Jewish Mama's Boy.

Gay? Maybe, maybe not. But it's true that Southern men tend to sound like either inbred rednecks (Louie Gohmert, Rick Perry) or velvet-pantsed sissies (Lindsey Graham, Jeff Sessions), Cantor's carefully articulated dronish whine more the latter than the former.

Schwietzer could've been more artful in his characterization, but he's not inaccurate.

Posted by: Ethno-phonologist | Jun 19, 2014 10:55:20 AM

17. That comment was non "inartful" in was incoherent.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 19, 2014 11:10:44 AM

18. Gee ETHNO-PHONOLOGIST, you sound like a real "He-man woman hater."

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 19, 2014 11:11:35 AM

19. Gee, Daniel, you sound defensive. But I find your lisp charming and endearing. Really, I do.

Posted by: Ethno-phonologist | Jun 19, 2014 11:17:24 AM

20. I hate that Schweitzer commented on this. That being said, I agree, I always though Cantor was a little gayish.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 19, 2014 11:20:36 AM

21. It's OK, Guv. You can come out and say it. Eric gets my gaydar pulsating in high-beep mode. Yeah, Eric and Rick (Frothy) Santorum were quite the gaydar power couple back in the day. Hell, any enterprising journalist who had really wanted to dig deep into the inner secrets of the Bush administration and Congress of that time could have come up with a dozen juicy scandals. But they didn't. Therefore, I digress.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 19, 2014 11:22:55 AM

22. Well, I don't know (nor do I care to know about Eric Cantor's sexuality), but I do care about who may be Hillary's opponents in the 2016 Democractic Primaries. Schweitzer may be one. If he looks like a formidable candidate against the Republicans in the general election...well?

Look, I'm a Democrat. Since George Wallace died, I will vote for any Democrat over a Republican.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 19, 2014 11:34:28 AM

23. Said a man who will never be president. Get him a radio show.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 19, 2014 11:39:51 AM

24. For those familiar with the men at Baylor University, there is indeed a very fine line between an effeminate homosexual and a strindent pale white Christian. And that line usually blurs.

Posted by: Moretruth | Jun 19, 2014 11:41:08 AM

25. On second thought, maybe not.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 19, 2014 11:41:26 AM