Catholic Church | Nancy Pelosi | News | NOM | Salvatore Cordileone | Thomas Peters

Former NOM Official Calls for Catholic Church to Excommunicate Nancy Pelosi

Former NOM Communications Director Thomas Peters is suggesting that the Catholic Church should excommunicate Nancy Pelosi for urging San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone to drop out of NOM's hateful March for Marriage. Cordileone, as we mentioned earlier, says he's going.

PetersWrites Peters on CatholicVote.org:

I can think of about a thousand things that Nancy Pelosi and Archbishop Cordileone should have a chat about. Her lecturing her archbishop on the church’s teaching ain’t one of them.

The gall of this woman is unbelievable. And what she and dozens of politicians are doing by publicly demanding that the archbishop withdraw from the event should anger us. Because if the church is our family, we need to respond when our family is under attack.

Massa_pelosiPeters calls Pelosi a false Catholic and says the church should get rid of her:

Pelosi can still do damage and cause scandal because she can still claim to be Catholic. To the average bystander, and to lots of Catholics, Pelosi is as Catholic as you or me. She goes to Mass. She receives Communion. She refers to herself as Catholic and talks about her faith in the public square. Sure, some bishops don’t always have nice things to say about her, but they never do anything about it. Pelosi herself seems to believe that she is still safely within the fold.

If words can’t reach Pelosi, maybe excommunication would.

Such a dramatic act would not only serve as the necessary wake-up call to Pelosi, it would also help protect the rest of us.

GLAAD's CAP has a lovely list of all the nice things Peters has said about gay people.

Comments

1. I didn't think NOM was anti-anything..according to Don Cardinale there in SF.. oh, wait! This guy is a FORMER NOM official. I guess that makes it OK?

Posted by: Burt | Jun 17, 2014 9:42:46 AM

2. You know, when our former Prime Minister Paul Martin supported marriage for gay couples across Canada, he did so because he said (as anyone with a brain should understand) that his life as a Catholic should have no affect on the lives of all Canadians.

He too was threatened with excommunication. I wrote to him at the time, to thank him for doing the right thing, and extended a welcome to the United Church of Canada, should he in fact be excommunicated.

It's funny - I grew going to a church in north toronto, united church, and nearly all the people in it were raised in a different denomination. and left said denomination, to join something that was more positive. i can't recall a single "hellfire", sin-focused sermon. ever. we even had non-Christian-identifying folks in the congregation - who simply enjoyed the sense of community and an applicable spiritual outlet in this modern world.

so, being excommunicated ain't that bad. think of it as cancer choosing to rid itself from your life.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 17, 2014 9:43:03 AM

3. Excommunicate her for what? Being a democrat? Religious officials aren't supposed to promote political parties. So excommunicating her for her political beliefs wouldn't be a good idea.

Posted by: Brad | Jun 17, 2014 9:51:37 AM

4. Note to Mister Peters:
    Lyndon Johnson once said about J. Edgar Hoover that he'd rather have him in the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in.

Think about that when you advocate excommunicating anyone.

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Jun 17, 2014 9:53:38 AM

5. the fact that thomas peters will never walk again brings a smile to my face.

Posted by: pc | Jun 17, 2014 9:55:47 AM

6. @ PC - I have a similar spinal cord injury, so f*ck off!

As for Peters, he is judging Pelosi. according to Revelation he will be judged harsher than everyone else. He's a Christianist, so he should be worried.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 17, 2014 10:04:06 AM

7. PC - i know. i hate that i actually have the same response. i'll not just be marching at pride this year. i'll be dancing. prancing. pirouetting.

i guess god just loves me more than him :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 17, 2014 10:05:50 AM

8. Oh Thomas! Get yourself a boyfriend and be happy.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 17, 2014 10:08:31 AM

9. Its weird that the Christian Right made a fuss about same-sex marriage but never a recent peep is made about ending the
    California Confidential Marriage License. What is that? It is where, within Mitt Romney's 'Judeo-Christian' civilization, a marriage takes place without witness, is without blood tests and is kept off public records:

Posted by: M McL | Jun 17, 2014 10:15:33 AM

10. his twitter feed is fun as it appears all his followers are there only to put him in his place.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 17, 2014 10:19:26 AM

11. Erm. The confidential marriage license is just one where the two adults involved don't want (for whatever reason; say one person's parents would go nuclear if they found out) news of their marriage being broadcast. You don't need a blood test for the public one, either. Having been married in CA recently, honestly it's just a checkbox option during the process. I'm not clear on how that's Romney's doing either seeing as how it has been around in CA since the 1800's.

Posted by: phluidik | Jun 17, 2014 10:37:14 AM

12. Not sure this story has legs.

Posted by: Mawm | Jun 17, 2014 10:45:22 AM

13. @ Little Kiwi - normally I like your responses, but for today F*ck You!!!!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 17, 2014 10:50:34 AM

14. For Mawm - f*ck you too. I wish some of you guys could spend a month or two in a chair. We (LGBs) ask for acceptance, but then you guys make the disabled marginalized. I'm also Latino, so I guess you can now mention ethnicity as well. Let's hate everyone except ourselves. Right guys?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 17, 2014 10:55:04 AM

15. If he also wants to ex-communicate all the Catholic politicians who advocated for the Iraq War, for the death penalty, against anti-poverty measures and against health care he would have a valid argument. But he doesn't- he only wants to punish those who support gay marriage. Its funny how much of a useful tool the Catholic Church has become for Republicans and Christian conservative when one generation ago most would have looked own their noses at Catholics. Or called it the Church of Rome.

Posted by: robroy | Jun 17, 2014 10:56:39 AM

16. In the same spirit that Tommy PeePee is calling on the Catholic church to ex-communicate Nancy Pelosi, I am calling on God to administering another spinal cord b!tch-slapping to Tommy. Apparently Tommy didn't take the hint the first time around, God, so you need to discipline him again so that he learns to play nicer.

It's a beautiful poetry to think of him sitting there with an impacted colon when everyone already knows he's full of sh!t.

Or to imagine him sitting there in his chair, wondering who is pleasuring his wife, because he KNOWS he's not doing it. I'd feel sorry for that poor young girl, whom he has made the sexual equivalent of a nun, except she seems to be such a willing accomplice in Tommy PeePee's life work of disseminating hatred.

Or to think how he has already denigrated his own "marriage" by pronouncing that only unions capable of producing a child are legitimate,when he will never have a normal erection again.

Am I a bad person for delighting in such details?

Posted by: Am I A Bad Person? | Jun 17, 2014 10:59:55 AM

17. So NOM is now telling religions how to police their members?

Posted by: Qj201 | Jun 17, 2014 11:06:31 AM

18. Closeted cocksuckers are just the worst

Posted by: Qj201 | Jun 17, 2014 11:07:08 AM

19. If they ex-communicated every person who has violated Catholic teaching--something like 98 percent of American Catholics have used birth control--it would be awesome. Go to it!

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Jun 17, 2014 11:08:03 AM

20. @ Am I a bad person - I think you are. I refuse to accept that my disability is a punishment from God. Also, although I no longer need the chair, I still use a cane. No place along the line did I have an erection problem.

For the first time, I feel terrible about being gay. I want nothing to do with a minority that attempts to marginalize another minority.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 17, 2014 11:09:52 AM

21. Mike - apologies. Yet, I'm also an Atheist. So I wasn't even being *remotely* serious. This isn't about "marginalizing" the disabled, it's specifically about a bigot-in-a-chair who, rather than using his experiences as a newly-disabled person to have some insights in life and faith has chosen to keep on rolling with ignorant hateful bigots. Pun intended.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 17, 2014 11:10:54 AM

22. @Tundra: My comments are directed solely toward Thomas Peters, who logically HAS TO believe that God had a direct hand in his situation. If you're not a believer, great. I'm not either. But again, any malignancy is reflected solely toward Thomas Peters, for the infinite hatred he has shown LGBTs, and for the insane hypocrisy he exercises just by waking up every morning.

Posted by: Am I A Bad Person? | Jun 17, 2014 11:17:09 AM

23. Thomas is one giant closet case

Posted by: Sam | Jun 17, 2014 11:20:38 AM

24. glad the comments remained classy *sarcasm*

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 17, 2014 12:04:28 PM

25. @Mike: I fully agree that taunting any disabled person about their disability is horrific and inexcusable. When you're taunting one, you're taunting all. It's like the endless comments about how fat Maggie Gallagher is -- yeah, the fact that she's fat is the important thing that's objectionable about her and worthy of ridicule. Seriously, if that's one's level of discourse, please don't even bother.

However, you ask for acceptance and inclusion and decry the marginalizing of other minorities, yet you apparently deliberately leave the "T" out of "LGBT".

Your hypocrisy doesn't negate your point, but it makes you look exactly like those you're criticizing.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Jun 17, 2014 12:23:30 PM