Gay Slurs | Jimmy Fallon | Jonah Hill | News

Actor Jonah Hill Apologizes for Homophobic Slur on 'The Tonight Show': VIDEO

Ts_jonah_hill

Jonah Hill issued another apology for an incident over the weekend in which he called a paparazzo a homophobic slur. Hill had issued one apology on The Howard Stern show already.

Said Hill:

"There was a paparazzi guy and he was antagonizing me and calling me names, attacking me personally, and my family personally, and I was genuinely hurt by this, and made angry by this, and in response, I wanted to hurt him back, and I said the most hurtful word that I could think of at that moment.

“You know, I didn't mean this in the sense of the word, you know? I didn't mean it in a homophobic way And I think that, um, that doesn't matter. How you mean things doesn't matter. Words have weight and meaning, and the word I chose was grotesque. And, you know...no one deserves to say or hear words like that. I've been a supporter of the LGBT community my entire life and I completely let the members of that community and everybody else down when I used a word like that...I'm genuinely and deeply sorry to anyone who has ever been affected by that term in their life.

“I don't deserve or expect your forgiveness, but what I ask is that at home, if you're watching this, and you're a young person especially; if someone says something that hurts you or angers you, use me as an example of what not to do, and don't respond with hatred or anger. Because you're just adding more ugliness to the world. I'm so sorry."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think he's sincere in his apology - and this is how it's done.

Posted by: Honesty | Jun 4, 2014 7:28:21 AM

2. Much better than his apology on Stern, where Stern kept excusing his use of the word as something men just do when they get upset.

He comes across as more sincere and grounded here. Let's hope it's a learning experience for young men who go to see his movies.

Posted by: Leonard | Jun 4, 2014 7:38:55 AM

3. Do LGBT know how petty and whiny they come off as of late? It used to be comics like Margaret Cho, Kathy Griffin, Joan Rivers etc loved a gay audience because they had a thick skin and could take some course language. Move on f@ggots, tr@nnies too. I get that u dont expect to be called certain words in school or work but what people say in the heat of an angry exchange or when allies are joking around isbtotally different.

Posted by: #CondomNazi | Jun 4, 2014 7:44:59 AM

4. He's sorry move on

Posted by: dumbnhung | Jun 4, 2014 7:56:25 AM

5. The LGBT is whiny? I hadn't even heard of this incident until he started apologizing every three seconds.

That being said, we're aloud to be as whiny as we want. The f-word is literally the last slur that celebrities can use without immediately ending their careers. Just imagine if had said a slur for any other group. He'd be in a whole lot more hot water.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 4, 2014 7:59:12 AM

6. @Condomnazi - You mean the same way, "that SL*T deserved to get raped" or "that NI**ER deserved to get lynched"... in case you hadn't noticed,
    F*GGOTS are still getting beaten on a regular basis so, yes, it is still an issue

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 4, 2014 7:59:13 AM

7. This is how apologies are done. You don't say "I'm sorry if you were offended" or "I'm sorry that people misinterpreted what I said" or "I'm sorry that what I said was taken out of context", etc. You just own up to the thing you said, take responsibility and ask for forgiveness.

Posted by: MIke | Jun 4, 2014 8:03:39 AM

8. If I had that creep following me around all day I would have blown up as well. Ya, I might have even called him a FAGGOT. Why? Because I know that it's one of the WORST things you can call a guy. How do I know? Because I'm a faggot, and it used to really hurt me when people called me a faggot. Not any more, but I remember a time when it did.
    He said something he now regrets. He's sorry that he might have hurt some people's feelings. Thanks Jonah. Time to move on.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 4, 2014 8:19:58 AM

9. I for one certainly accept his apology. He made a mistake in the heat of an unfortunate incident, accepted the mistake and apologized. I can't ask someone to do any more.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 4, 2014 8:36:42 AM

10. We have all heard the insincere apologies. We have all seen the cases where a celebrity apologizes only to use the word again.

This case seems different, I hope so. The LGBT community does give people a second chance, it's the repeat offenders that are the real issue. The celebrities who use the "f - word" as a go to all to easily.

People need to realize we have all heard the word and we as a community know how damaging it can be, or better yet how quickly things can accelerate after the slur. We are sensitive to slurs obviously, but that is our right by experience.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Jun 4, 2014 9:06:14 AM

11. @rontex, I guess the concept of context is lost on you. Perpetual victim.

Posted by: Oh vey | Jun 4, 2014 9:25:14 AM

12. I caught a few minutes of SuperBad in a waiting room yesterday. Every other time Jonah Hill's character talked, he kept calling something 'gay' as a negative slur.
    While I accept this apology, which clearly seems to be sincere, it's time he (and everyone else who supposedly supports us) stopped taking roles that have their characters use us as a cheap laugh.

Posted by: Scott | Jun 4, 2014 9:28:01 AM

13. Take note politicians, THAT'S how you apologize.

Posted by: Princely | Jun 4, 2014 9:31:44 AM

14. First, I gotta say that this idea that gay people are SO touchy is bull crap. A conflation is being made between the media's need to create "scandal" and communities of people mobilized around an incident. Here we have more of the former than the latter.

It would be much more effective if he had addressed the young men who are his fans and explained to them why words really wound people.

The incident is not that big of a deal, but Jonah Hill should look within at why those are the words he came up with if he loves and supports gay people.

Posted by: raul415 | Jun 4, 2014 9:39:02 AM

15. Condomnazi:
    The ones who are whiny are the straight allies in Hollywood. The same with the board of directors at Mozilla who fired Eich. You can't even name one who is gay.

Posted by: simon | Jun 4, 2014 9:39:35 AM

16. I agree that calling someone a faggot in the heat of an argument is different from using it to describe someone you think is gay.

The problem is the fact that being a faggot is still the worst possible thing you can call another guy. I've done the whole reclaiming the power of the word thing and I have zero shame about being a faggot.

But things won't change until being gay isn't thought of as the worst thing you could possibly be.

Posted by: SeeeTeee | Jun 4, 2014 9:41:56 AM

17. I agree that calling someone a faggot in the heat of an argument is different from using it to describe someone you think is gay.

Posted by: SeeeTeee | Jun 4, 2014 9:41:56 AM

18. I agree that calling someone a faggot in the heat of an argument is different from using it to describe someone you think is gay.

Posted by: SeeeTeee | Jun 4, 2014 9:41:56 AM

19. I agree that calling someone a faggot in the heat of an argument is different from using it to describe someone you think is gay.

Posted by: SeeeTeee | Jun 4, 2014 9:41:56 AM

20. Maybe he should some of money where is apology mouth is....

Posted by: Dan | Jun 4, 2014 9:56:12 AM

21. I would have called those idiotic morons from tmz something much worse. Why does the press continually focus on the reactions instead of the behavior of the TMZ assholes? I fully understand violent verbal reactions to having some dipshit follow you around taunting you. I say go all Baldwin on them more often.

Posted by: bryanD | Jun 4, 2014 9:57:31 AM

22. Good for Jonah. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who messed up and used the C F slur like so many straight guys do. Missed an opportunity here though - to talk about WHY calling someone a fag is the worst thing you could ever call a guy. Because to be gay is the worst curse in our society. Hopefully when the stigma of being gay becomes a thing of the past (not holding my breath) calling someone a faggot won't make any sense, because to be gay won't be any better or worse than being straight.

Posted by: Island Planet | Jun 4, 2014 9:58:48 AM

23. This appears to be a genuine apology and I like that he knows no one is expected to forgive him just because he apologized. As HEY DARLIN' said, we're not against giving second chances. My thing has always been for me personally, don't apologize if you know you are going to do it again. Obviously slip ups happen but if you were sincere in your first apology you'd be a bit more cognizant in the future.

Posted by: Derrick | Jun 4, 2014 9:59:27 AM

24. Good apology, covered all the bases and didn't tap dance behind excuses. (And the scene between Jonah Hill and Michael Cera in "Superbad" where they tell each other "I love you," is one of the sweetest and loveliest male-male scenes in recent memory, gay or straight--if he keeps breaking down barriers like that, I'm all for it.)

Posted by: Dback | Jun 4, 2014 10:06:09 AM

25. i'm very impressed with him.

Posted by: carlos | Jun 4, 2014 11:38:57 AM