Atlanta | Crime | News

Man Turns Himself in After Anti-Gay Attack on Cyclist in Atlanta: VIDEO

Beltline

An Atlanta man has turned himself in after a cyclist and surveillance cameras captured him in an anti-gay assault on a cyclist on the Atlanta Beltline, WSBTV reports:

Quinn Chrzan, 24, says the man shouted anti-gay slurs just before the man slammed him into a gate and punched him repeatedly.

"I was pinned against the wall and my hand was sliced up so, there was nothing I could do," said Chrzan. "He just punched me in the face."

The incident happened at Beltline Northeast near McGruder Street.
On Wednesday, Michael Sanders turned himself in to Atlanta police. He was charged with battery and released Thursday morning on $5,000 bond.

"(He) kept calling me homophobic slurs and all I said to him was, Please don't use homophobic slurs,’" Chrzan said.

There were also several witnesses to Sanders' attack, which he said was motivated by Chrzan riding too close to him as he ran on the trail.

Watch the report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'd say "roid rage" but he's too skinny.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 5, 2014 9:01:18 AM

2. He was getting beaten almost to death and he kept saying, "Please don't use homophobic slurs." Dude!

Posted by: pop | Jun 5, 2014 9:42:06 AM

3. Not a hate crime. More like road rage, with some Jonah Hill-type anger issues. But you gotta give the victim dude some props -- he's being beaten and threatened, yet still manages to give a P.C. lecture. I think I saw this on Portlandia.

Posted by: James | Jun 5, 2014 9:43:11 AM

4. Yes. This definitely sounds like some kind of momentary, over-the-top rage incident, right down to the delayed remorse and guilt. It would be interesting to learn whether the attacker had PTSD or anger-management issues.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jun 5, 2014 9:52:39 AM

5. Literally ONE BLOCK from my house. Wow. And seriously, that section of the Beltline starts gay and gets gayer the closer you get to Piedmont Park. If you don't like the 'mos, you have no business being there.

Posted by: ATLJason | Jun 5, 2014 9:53:10 AM

6. People have rode their bicycles close to me on the sidewalk but I don't become hysterical with anger and start screaming and assaulting. Dangerous guy!

Posted by: David From Canada | Jun 5, 2014 10:10:53 AM

7. Guy sounds like another jackass that I wish knock upside the head with my 11 and a half inch cock! If he doesn't like gay people he should have just ridden away!

Posted by: Hot Dumb Italian Mike!www | Jun 5, 2014 10:49:01 AM

8. Homophobic thug

Posted by: Mikey | Jun 5, 2014 12:20:09 PM

9. Good for the gay guy going to authorities about this. When attacked, pursue a case against the attacker

Posted by: Leo | Jun 5, 2014 12:21:04 PM

10. Nasty hetero men always go for homophobia when making an attack. Most hetero men are innately violent. Just watch the news

Posted by: Fiat | Jun 5, 2014 12:21:48 PM

11. Oh you straight people and your violence. And you talk about gays being twisted. Straight people are wack!

Posted by: Dino | Jun 5, 2014 12:23:23 PM

12. LEO: The victim is not gay.

FIAT: You are an idiot.

POP: He was not nearly "beaten to death", what are you, retarded ?

Posted by: Buckie | Jun 5, 2014 1:24:22 PM

13. What Buckie said.

Also, I love how "roids" always come up when people see an in-shape muscular guy. Some of us actually go to the gym.

Posted by: Lucas | Jun 5, 2014 2:11:29 PM

14. TRANSLATION:

Hunting gays in Atlanta costs $5000. If you can afford it, OPEN SEASON!

More expensive than a hunting license for deer or ducks, but hey, hunting your fellow man for sport because your ideological prejudices tell you to do so is priceless!

Posted by: Deth | Jun 5, 2014 2:57:40 PM

15. Please turn off the auto-play on these ads

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 5, 2014 3:29:16 PM

16. On-topic:
    Do you guys really think this should be compared to hate-crimes?
    I think Chrzan is trolling.
    Not that Sanders doesn't deserve to be publicly tarred and feathered (I mean really, what kind of d!ckh3ad does these things).
    But I mean, hate-crimes are serious. This guy just got some stitches in his palm.
    Learning experiences to be had all the way around, I think.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 5, 2014 3:53:02 PM

17. Lucas, I believe hate crimes are categorized by their motive, not extent of damage.

Posted by: Syrax | Jun 5, 2014 10:14:09 PM

18. Wait a minute! Why is there no one making reference to his race? Anytime a black man says something homophobic he's called every racial slur in the book! What about this guy???? Why are you not targeting his color????? Oh yeah that's right, he's white

Posted by: JamesDeansJeans | Jun 6, 2014 3:37:15 AM

19. Turns out the victim isn't gay.
    This wasn't a hate crime, the perpetrator wasn't looking to do some gay-bashing that day. My problem with the victim is trying to make this incident a gay hate crime and possibly minimizing focus on actual hate crimes.

Maybe I should complain about a hate crime when somebody calls me the "N" word (i'm white and gay).

Posted by: ATLguy | Jun 8, 2014 10:48:51 AM