Comments

1. Ben says

So much for “We don’t negotiate with ‘terrorists’!” What a precedent this sets. You want your prisoners in Guantanamo back? Just kidnap an American for ransom.

2. crispy says

Wait, people actually believe that “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” bit? Oh, sweetie, send my your bank account number and I’ll deposit $2 million in it.

3. says

Poor @Jack M Nope. I have no idea who @crispy and @jack m are. I guess the concept that more than 1 person can actually dislike this prisoner swap is foreign to you.

4. Shawn says

I hope he’ll somehow be ok. I understand the concerns but am glad that the reality of this man was put ahead of hypotheticals and potential (even likely) risks.

5. crispy says

@Jack M: Perry is Republican swine. Petey’s comment here appears to be on the liberal spectrum. And my smartass comments rarely offer anything of value.

How the hell you got that we’re the same person can only be the result of your mother’s poor lifestyle choices while she was gestating her.

6. Neil says

This man deserted, and other soldiers lost their lives trying to find him. Now we have exchanged 5 others who will kill us for him.

He broke his vows and the law, but other people paid the price with their lives, and now there is the potential that more people will be killed bringing him home.

Why are we feeling such empathy for this scoundrel while feeling none for the people who have died because of him?

7. tranquilo says

@Neil. The military rescues its prisoners, and then if there are accusations they are handled within the American military system. That’s how it’s always been done.

Sorry the US hasn’t become the cruel, nasty, barbaric place that Tea Party types (and I guess Log Cabin types?) dream of.

8. Jack M says

Tranquilo is absolutely right. This is the military’s territory. We can have opinions, but let’s let them take care of it. Remember presumption of innocence?

9. james street james says

Something else to think about: Maybe one or more of the five released prisoners is working undercover for the CIA now.

Maybe Bowe Bergdahl has information valuable to USA regarding inner workings of his captors.

Whatever motivated him initially he may just be a pawn in a higher level game.

10. peterparker says

We should have had fighter jets come right behind the helicopter to strafe those f*ckers on the ground that captured and held him for five years.