Gay Slurs | News | Rugby | Sports | United Kingdom

British Rugby Star Zak Hardaker Says He’s Now 'A Better Person' After 5 Game Ban for Anti-gay Slur

Zak hardaker

British Rugby Player Zak Hardaker, who was punished with a five-match ban for calling a player a “f—king fag” in late May, says that his suspension and subsequent work with the LGBT community has made him “a better person now.”

Attitude reports:

Hardaker recently asked to train with the LGBT rugby team The Manchester Canalsiders, and says he has “learned what you can and can’t say” from the experience.

“I try to enjoy myself and live life to the full,” said the 22-year-old player. “Along the way you learn new things and this is one of the lessons I have learned. The Canalsiders have been terrific and at least some good has come out of what happened.”

He continued: “They recognised it was just a heat of the moment comment and I am really thankful for their support. I think it has helped to raise certain issues, including the profile of the club, so that’s great. I have learned what you can and can’t say and how it affects different people.”

Earlier this week, Hardaker also met with other members of Manchester's LGBT community to learn about the impact of homophobia.

Comments

1. I like when stories that start ugly end like this.

I don't fault the young man. Like he said, he reacted in the heat of the moment, and despite all the gains we've made - these insults are still welcome in certain "hyper-masculine" situations.

And, I will admit, while I was still closeted, I threw slurs like that around all the time - to convince everyone else that I was straight... or at least that I hated fags as much as "everyone else".

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jul 17, 2014 8:27:40 PM

2. How many pen1ses have been in this closeted h0m0's mouth?

Posted by: ceem | Jul 17, 2014 9:03:29 PM

3. Sounds like an ordinary decent guy to me.
    He faced what he said , admitted it was wrong and it seems like he was thoughtless, that's all.
    Now, like the Ancient Mariner, who also made a mistake,
    " A wiser and a sadder man, he rose the morrow morn."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 17, 2014 9:17:22 PM

4. People who seek to improve themselves and do so should be forgiven and appreciated. The fact that this athlete sought of his own volition to get to know gays better and came out more humane for the experience is awesome.

Posted by: OhBrother | Jul 17, 2014 9:46:21 PM

5. OHBROTHER , to know gays better he should accepted the gay inside him.

Posted by: ceem | Jul 17, 2014 10:09:17 PM

6. He made a mistake, learned a lesson by reaching out and getting to know a few of us, and grew from the experience. What's bad about that? I say, good for him.

Posted by: PaulY | Jul 17, 2014 10:28:36 PM

7. All well and good, but when it comes to British rugby players I'll stick with Ben Cohen.

Posted by: Dan Mc. | Jul 17, 2014 10:28:56 PM

8. God he is a gorgeous man. I forgave him at first sight........

Posted by: bicurious | Jul 17, 2014 11:48:48 PM

9. Just curious: why does this site censor the word "fv

Posted by: Bear Aspirin | Jul 18, 2014 2:29:49 AM

10. Just curious: why does this site censor the word "fv

Posted by: Bear Aspirin | Jul 18, 2014 2:32:11 AM

11. He has such sensuous lips. Ravish my apple breast with your big mouth, Zak.

Posted by: petey | Jul 18, 2014 4:08:23 AM

12. I forgive you, Zak. Simply give me your hard loins and let bygones be bygones.

Posted by: petey | Jul 18, 2014 4:11:08 AM

13. Ah, ah, ah...put it in deeper, Zak, deeper. Fill me up and give it everything. I want to feel your deep breaths like a beer-soaked draft in my ear...and a burning behind as I feel your searing spanks in a pulsating rhythm. Ah, ah, ah....

Posted by: petey | Jul 18, 2014 4:19:44 AM

14. He gorgeous..Good looking men should always be forgiven...

Posted by: styler | Jul 18, 2014 9:55:50 AM

15. Forgiveness is earned, not asked and given on demand. He has to do a lot better than this. He has to prove to us he has changed.

Posted by: ColinsWorld | Jul 18, 2014 1:21:55 PM

16. Hardaker.
    Heartbreaker.

If he's really learned something about the gay community he should take his shirt off. Be like Ben.

Posted by: james street james | Jul 18, 2014 4:35:35 PM

17. some of these comments. LOL

Posted by: luke | Jul 18, 2014 9:34:47 PM

18. some of these comments. LOL

Posted by: luke | Jul 18, 2014 9:34:47 PM

19. On one hand I do forgive him, he was obviously very ignorant and he learned his lesson. On the other hand, he really didn't know that throwing around a derogatory slur wasn't alright and that nobody would be offended? Child, please. I guess he's playing sports for a reason.

Posted by: Cake | Jul 18, 2014 11:04:32 PM

20. *or that people would be offended, rather.

Posted by: Cake | Jul 18, 2014 11:05:13 PM