Anti-Gay Activist John Stemberger Says Fight Against Same-Sex Marriage Is ‘Worth Dying For': VIDEO

John Stemberger, President of Florida Family Policy Council, has said that the fight against same-sex marriage “is an issue worth dying for.”

Stemberger

John Stemberger, President of Florida Family Policy Council, has said that the fight against same-sex marriage “is an issue worth dying for," reports The Miami Herald.

Stemberger led the 2008 campaign to ban same-sex marriage in the state and spearheaded Trail Life USA as a direct response to the 2013 decision to allow gay youth to join the scouts.

His comments follow Monroe County Chief Circuit Judge Luis M. Garcia’s decision to strike down Florida’s ban on same-sex marriage last week.

However, Stemberger said that “every domestic partnership, every single civil union, every couple that cohabitates, these arrangements dilute and devalue marriage.”

Watch Manatee and Sarasota residents give their reactions to Garcia's ruling, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. JackFknTwist says

Excellent !
    This is the best news I’ve heard all day.
    The Christians want to martyr themselves all over again.

We need to stock up on lions.

2. Rad says

“…it’s worth dying for” but I’ll not be the first…?

I say, PRACTICE WHAT YOU ARE PREACHING. Set that thar example for the other neocon followers you are targeting.

3. says

how odd. mainly because (and I’m trying to apply logic to his inherently illogical arguments) it would follow that those who actually have to INTERACT with gays would be the ones most-affected by our relationships. as in – my sisters and my parents, for example, would have their marriages devalued on a daily basis from having to interact with me and my lover(s). how odd, then, that it’s not the case. in fact, my parents have only stated that their marriage has been strengthened by the progress of marriage equality – their marriage means *more* because all of their children are free to make the choice to marry (should we choose it).
    my sister and brother-in-law gave out equality bracelets at their wedding at table favours – and gave a speech about supporting the LGBT communities. so…. no. gay marriage in no way lessened their marriage.
    if your marriage is only worth something “because gays can’t do it” then you’re out of luck for life – that’s just spite.

worth dying for? i’ll echo that :) follow through, gurl!

4. Chris says

Before you start cheering on this type of talk, think about the idea that there is only one way I can see that anti-gay zealots could “die” for opposing same-sex marriages and martyr themselves approrpiately… and that’s to murder people involved in moving us forward in states that have capital punishment. Is this guy then calling for the next Scott Roeder? Do we really want to see more of our community plotted to be murdered by these people?

5. Randy says

A while back, someone pranked the internet with “Jesus Take the Wheel Day”. Just recently, a religious nut actually believed it, took her hands off the wheel to let Jesus drive, and Jesus drove right over a motorcyclist.

If some nut is calling for martyrdom, there will be some nut who will go do it.

This scum should be locked away.

6. JackFknTwist says

@ CHRIS :

If that happens then we may have to take up arms against a sea of troubles.

Then we will show in vivid detail what it means to stand your ground.

7. says

Then he should take his own life and the faster he does so, the happier he will be. Gay people will always be a part of our lives. That’s the way Nature intended. You can’t deal with that then please, do us all the favor and step off this earth.

8. woodroad34 says

And here the conservatives were all worried about Death Squads should Obamacare take place….as is always the case, they seem to be talking about themselves and their own little perverse death squads. Go–thin the Religious Right herd and get rid of the mentally insane fascists.

9. Stolen says

John Stemberger is generating incitement to violence and murder.

CHRIS and DON are absolutely right.

Do you remember YouTube footage of that dude who got Leviticus 20:13 tattooed to the entire right side of his torso? I do.
    There’s nothing anti-gays won’t do. They’re morally bankrupt; without conscience.

If you can, stand your ground. Value yourselves. Don’t let these monsters get the best of us. They’re at least as bad as Nazis in their withered up hearts, only they’re less organized and centralized.

10. Bernie says

I’m not sure what century Mr. Stemberger lives in or thinks he lives in…..to die for something that is beyond his control and really none of his business does not speak well for him……I do feel sorry for his children that have to live and learn from someone like him

11. Bill says

Why is it that people who spout about how some cause is “worth dying for” inevitably expect someone else to do the dying?

It’s hardly something new: [Dialog from Gilbert and Sullivan’s “The Sourcerer”]

ALEXIS. Oh, Mr. Wells, what, what is to be done?
    MR. W. I do not know – and yet – there is one means by which this spell may be removed.
    ALEXIS. Name it – oh, name it!
    MR. W. Or you or I must yield up his life to Ahrimanes. I would rather it were you. I should have no hesitation in sacrificing my own life to spare yours, but we take stock next week, and it would not be fair on the Co.

12. mmike1969 says

Tell you what Johnny, you go die first (in a horribly painful and slow death) and then I will chip in $5.00 from my paypal to help with your funeral.